Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
Bowfisher
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:56 am
Location: WV
Status: Offline

Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby Bowfisher » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:49 am

I have always used wunderground for historical weather data, but no longer can. I heard the podcast with JoeRe and his auto propagated excel sheet that pulls data from NOAA. I'm having a little bit of an issue navigating around the NOAA site to find the historical weather data. Does anyone here have any advice for this? Anyone use it? Or has anyone made an auto propagated sheet? Obviously I'd love to hear from Joe on this, but he does not frequent as much anymore so I'm not sure he will see this. Thanks guys


User avatar
<DK>
500 Club
Posts: 3810
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:04 am

Why cant you use wunderground?
User avatar
jwilkstn
500 Club
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:01 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71
Location: The hills of Southern Middle Tennessee
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:54 am

I have no help to offer, but I too would love to see this information made easy for us simpletons. So "bump" in the hopes that someone sees this with knowledge of the process...
Not all those who wander are lost...
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3139
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:45 am

I'm pretty decent at Excel. Before I can answer, help me define the question a little better. Which of the following options do you want?

1. Export HISTORICAL data FROM NOAA/Wunderground TO an xls/.csv file format (xls/csv are Excel file formats). This option would allow you to import the Excel worksheet into your hunting log as a separate sheet, which you could then reference for weather data. OR;

2. Use an API to import weather data directly into your spreadsheet. This is much more complicated, but allows your log to use REAL TIME weather data. I believe wundergrounds API only allows for a 10 day FUTURE forecast. I have messed around with this in the past for identifying real time trends (barometric pressure change. Cold fronts, etc.)

If there is enough interest (like 25+ people). I will make a YouTube tutorial on these topics. This would take me a few hours to put together, so, if you're really interested, leave a comment below.
User avatar
Bowfisher
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:56 am
Location: WV
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby Bowfisher » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:52 am

Seaz, I will be the first to say I’m very interested in a video tutorial like this, and I feel it could be very beneficial to a number of beasts
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 9487
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:54 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I'm pretty decent at Excel. Before I can answer, help me define the question a little better. Which of the following options do you want?

1. Export HISTORICAL data FROM NOAA/Wunderground TO an xls/.csv file format (xls/csv are Excel file formats). This option would allow you to import the Excel worksheet into your hunting log as a separate sheet, which you could then reference for weather data. OR;

2. Use an API to import weather data directly into your spreadsheet. This is much more complicated, but allows your log to use REAL TIME weather data. I believe wundergrounds API only allows for a 10 day FUTURE forecast. I have messed around with this in the past for identifying real time trends (barometric pressure change. Cold fronts, etc.)

If there is enough interest (like 25+ people). I will make a YouTube tutorial on these topics. This would take me a few hours to put together, so, if you're really interested, leave a comment below.


I have no clue what you just said!!!! But at some point it would be nice to be able to do a smaller version of what JoeRE is doing. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
User avatar
Kraftd
500 Club
Posts: 2769
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: NE IL
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:54 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I'm pretty decent at Excel. Before I can answer, help me define the question a little better. Which of the following options do you want?

1. Export HISTORICAL data FROM NOAA/Wunderground TO an xls/.csv file format (xls/csv are Excel file formats). This option would allow you to import the Excel worksheet into your hunting log as a separate sheet, which you could then reference for weather data. OR;

2. Use an API to import weather data directly into your spreadsheet. This is much more complicated, but allows your log to use REAL TIME weather data. I believe wundergrounds API only allows for a 10 day FUTURE forecast. I have messed around with this in the past for identifying real time trends (barometric pressure change. Cold fronts, etc.)

If there is enough interest (like 25+ people). I will make a YouTube tutorial on these topics. This would take me a few hours to put together, so, if you're really interested, leave a comment below.


I'd be interested, but if you haven't listened to the Wired to Hunt with Joe from last week, give that a spin. He and Mark walk through it a little. I was half listening while working, but my sense was Joe has it set-up as more the latter, but couldn't quite tell if it was real time or just set up to autopopulate and format when he downloaded datasets. I know enough to know what Excel can do and that my skills fall generally short of being able to actually pull it off for things like 2, 1 I can handle!
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3139
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 am

Kraftd wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:I'm pretty decent at Excel. Before I can answer, help me define the question a little better. Which of the following options do you want?

1. Export HISTORICAL data FROM NOAA/Wunderground TO an xls/.csv file format (xls/csv are Excel file formats). This option would allow you to import the Excel worksheet into your hunting log as a separate sheet, which you could then reference for weather data. OR;

2. Use an API to import weather data directly into your spreadsheet. This is much more complicated, but allows your log to use REAL TIME weather data. I believe wundergrounds API only allows for a 10 day FUTURE forecast. I have messed around with this in the past for identifying real time trends (barometric pressure change. Cold fronts, etc.)

If there is enough interest (like 25+ people). I will make a YouTube tutorial on these topics. This would take me a few hours to put together, so, if you're really interested, leave a comment below.


I'd be interested, but if you haven't listened to the Wired to Hunt with Joe from last week, give that a spin. He and Mark walk through it a little. I was half listening while working, but my sense was Joe has it set-up as more the latter, but couldn't quite tell if it was real time or just set up to autopopulate and format when he downloaded datasets. I know enough to know what Excel can do and that my skills fall generally short of being able to actually pull it off for things like 2, 1 I can handle!


I will check out the podcast, I have been meaning too anyway. I've been moving to a new place for the past week
So I haven't had a lot of free time for fun stuff.
User avatar
Kraftd
500 Club
Posts: 2769
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: NE IL
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:02 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
Kraftd wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:I'm pretty decent at Excel. Before I can answer, help me define the question a little better. Which of the following options do you want?

1. Export HISTORICAL data FROM NOAA/Wunderground TO an xls/.csv file format (xls/csv are Excel file formats). This option would allow you to import the Excel worksheet into your hunting log as a separate sheet, which you could then reference for weather data. OR;

2. Use an API to import weather data directly into your spreadsheet. This is much more complicated, but allows your log to use REAL TIME weather data. I believe wundergrounds API only allows for a 10 day FUTURE forecast. I have messed around with this in the past for identifying real time trends (barometric pressure change. Cold fronts, etc.)

If there is enough interest (like 25+ people). I will make a YouTube tutorial on these topics. This would take me a few hours to put together, so, if you're really interested, leave a comment below.


I'd be interested, but if you haven't listened to the Wired to Hunt with Joe from last week, give that a spin. He and Mark walk through it a little. I was half listening while working, but my sense was Joe has it set-up as more the latter, but couldn't quite tell if it was real time or just set up to autopopulate and format when he downloaded datasets. I know enough to know what Excel can do and that my skills fall generally short of being able to actually pull it off for things like 2, 1 I can handle!


I will check out the podcast, I have been meaning too anyway. I've been moving to a new place for the past week
So I haven't had a lot of free time for fun stuff.


And lots of new mountain terrain to scout!
SplitG2
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:56 pm
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby SplitG2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Yes I would love to see a how to video on this. I have messed around on NOAA's site and I too have been unable to figure it out. Thanks in advance
Hunt Hard or Go Home
User avatar
jwilkstn
500 Club
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:01 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71
Location: The hills of Southern Middle Tennessee
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:45 am

I would certainly appreciate the video, Seaz. I think Joe is doing something closer to #1, then using those trends he's studied with temperature and wind to select his hunt location based on the current weather.
Not all those who wander are lost...
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3139
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 pm

I am listening to the latest JoeRe wired to hunt podcast. A few people asked about getting weather data from NOAA and putting it into a hunting log/Excel spreadsheet. I'm 95% sure I know what Joe is doing, based on his description in the podcast around the 24:00 minute mark. I will put together a video this week, and put up a post with a link to the video once it's completed.
SplitG2
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:56 pm
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby SplitG2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:I am listening to the latest JoeRe wired to hunt podcast. A few people asked about getting weather data from NOAA and putting it into a hunting log/Excel spreadsheet. I'm 95% sure I know what Joe is doing, based on his description in the podcast around the 24:00 minute mark. I will put together a video this week, and put up a post with a link to the video once it's completed.


Seaofcheez, many thanks for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated my friend
Hunt Hard or Go Home
User avatar
Tufrthnails
500 Club
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:40 pm
Location: Knee deep in FL Muck!
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 pm

cool i'm interested also. I use the heck out of Excel, but not for this kind of stuff.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3139
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: Auto Propagated Historical Weather

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:13 pm

jwilkstn wrote:I would certainly appreciate the video, Seaz. I think Joe is doing something closer to #1, then using those trends he's studied with temperature and wind to select his hunt location based on the current weather.


You are correct. I just finished editing the first video, but I am going to post it in a new topic. I plan to do a series of videos on making a JoeRe style Excel log.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JBK and 23 guests