WhitetailDNA "The Hunting Beast Q&A Series" - DaveT1963

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Ishi Spirit

Re: WhitetailDNA "The Hunting Beast Q&A Series" - DaveT1963

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 am

Awesome read Dave :clap:

I love these Q&A threads this makes the beast unique in that aspect. Most of the other forums jealousy would run rampant!

The Spirit Lives On
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm

I really enjoyed that Dave, thank you for taking the time to write it up. I like to hear from guys who do things slightly different and are successful. ...it keeps the wheels spinning for me. 8-)
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 pm

That was a good read Dave. Thanks for taking time to do it. Thanks doing this Q&A Scott.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Great read Dave! Thanks for taking the time to write up really easy to understand and well thought out answers.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:48 pm

:clap: enjoyed it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:25 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed that Dave. The most memorable hunt was a hunt for an animal that will be hard to beat. Great write up man!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:43 pm

Thanks guys. Only one man's opinions on what has worked over the years for me. Hopefully it will help a few along the way. All the deer in the pics (with an exception of the one in the game cart) were all taken while I was running a journal here on the Beast. There are more details in my journal and in a few youtube videos I threw together on some of the gear and techniques I use for those interested. I didn't get into saddle hunting or my DIY silliness which is where I tend to focus more on there. Just haven't had the time for journals and videos this year.

Muddy - sorry to hear about your dad. I appreciate your comments. When we loose someone we love it tends to make us appreciate the marbles in the jar that much more.

Good luck and looking forward to the kill threads this year - just saw someone took a nice 8 in Florida on another site..... its getting to be that time of year :)

Shoot Straight - DaveT
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:15 am

Awesome read!! A lot of knowledge packed into this Q&A. Thanks for sharing
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:03 am

Fantastic interview Dave! I always like reading your comments and strategies.

This really stood out to me;

"Let me start by saying I kill a fair share of bucks in the evening and I hunt them as much as I do morning hunts. I think it is no secret I prefer morning hunts for mature bucks. For multiple reasons. One advantage of hunting the morning is you pretty much KNOW what is on the buck’s mind; getting to his daytime bedding/hiding area. You can also pretty much assume he will use the wind to get there."

"I also believe sneaking into a buck’s bedroom is best accomplished when he is not there. That typically means getting in, with a well thought out access, several hours before daylight. I know, I can hear it already; I bump deer in the AM. Of course you do, and you bump deer in the evenings as well. It’s part of the game. In fact, I would bet that of 80% or more of the mature bucks bumped, the hunter has no idea. In my experience, most hunters fail in the AM because they lack a sound access strategy, they do not get in early enough, and they do not practice it."

I love this man. Its such a difficult task but its easy to have lack of confidence going in to do it. It is such an adrenaline rush to see a shooter buck coming by in grey light. Hearing the first foot steps in the leaves and seeing the silhouette of their antlers just amps me up! Not many sounds in the woods yet and I pray he cant hear my heart beating! I am very guilty of not getting out there earlier tho...

As far as bumping bucks in the dark, iv done it a ton. 100% bc of reasons you stated but alot of it when I was just chasing deer around. There was a thread few years back talking about whether mature bucks will snort or blow when alarmed. I think majority of the time them dont, but I have heard enough do it to never write it off. I usually just try to listen for the hoofs hitting the ground as they bound off. There is no mistaking a heavy animal.

I feel like AM hunts and exp are such a debate bc we cant actually confirm or see what were bumping. Im curious your thoughts and exp w bumping them in the dark?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:08 am

<DK> wrote:Fantastic interview Dave! I always like reading your comments and strategies.

This really stood out to me;

"Let me start by saying I kill a fair share of bucks in the evening and I hunt them as much as I do morning hunts. I think it is no secret I prefer morning hunts for mature bucks. For multiple reasons. One advantage of hunting the morning is you pretty much KNOW what is on the buck’s mind; getting to his daytime bedding/hiding area. You can also pretty much assume he will use the wind to get there."

"I also believe sneaking into a buck’s bedroom is best accomplished when he is not there. That typically means getting in, with a well thought out access, several hours before daylight. I know, I can hear it already; I bump deer in the AM. Of course you do, and you bump deer in the evenings as well. It’s part of the game. In fact, I would bet that of 80% or more of the mature bucks bumped, the hunter has no idea. In my experience, most hunters fail in the AM because they lack a sound access strategy, they do not get in early enough, and they do not practice it."

I love this man. Its such a difficult task but its easy to have lack of confidence going in to do it. It is such an adrenaline rush to see a shooter buck coming by in grey light. Hearing the first foot steps in the leaves and seeing the silhouette of their antlers just amps me up! Not many sounds in the woods yet and I pray he cant hear my heart beating! I am very guilty of not getting out there earlier tho...

As far as bumping bucks in the dark, iv done it a ton. 100% bc of reasons you stated but alot of it when I was just chasing deer around. There was a thread few years back talking about whether mature bucks will snort or blow when alarmed. I think majority of the time them dont, but I have heard enough do it to never write it off. I usually just try to listen for the hoofs hitting the ground as they bound off. There is no mistaking a heavy animal.

I feel like AM hunts and exp are such a debate bc we cant actually confirm or see what were bumping. Im curious your thoughts and exp w bumping them in the dark?

DK - it depends, some of my AM locations are pretty bomb proof and I do not ever remember spooking a deer. There is always the possibility I had a few sneak out but the location just allows me to get in there and set up without alerting deer.

I agree with you Bucks most definitely snort. Anyone that thinks bucks can not or will not snort has not been paying attention or just doesn't spend much time around them. However, I do see far more bucks sneaking off then I do busting recklessly out of the area. One of the cool things about getting in early is you see the masses come in at the crack of dawn - I think they would be totally surprised how often good bucks sneak off. Trust me it happens a lot.

Other locations I get busted just like everyone else - it happens occasionally. Chalk it up as a learning experience and then try to figure out how i could have done it better. The one thing I refuse to accept is that it cant be done. I know better.

When I look for an AM set up I look for access first. I also usually am on an entrance to bedding but not in the actual bedding area. Here is why. If I did everything right, and the buck passes before daylight and doesn't bust me, I have an option to make a move into the bedding area to catch him when he gets up to browse or get a drink. In fact one of my favorite tactics is to get on his water source and wait him out. It has paid off for me on several occasions. If people can sneak in close in the evening I just do not get why they think they cannot do it in the AM? My fist buck last year I saw him twice in the early AM cruising, I got down, moved in, set up on the ground and then killed him in the early afternoon. I was on the edge at first and then snuck into the doe bedding area and I was there most of the day without getting busted. with my saddle and sticks, it is nothing for me to move and there have been days where I moved several times - even if it was only 30 yards.

I think being aggressive at times is what it takes. in 40 years, I have seen my share of bedded bucks from the stand. One thing I have never seen is a buck that stays bedded all day. EVER. It just doesn't happen IMO. In fact, I believe there is pretty consistent movement around 830-1000 which usually corresponds with winds picking up or thermal activity and the local hunters start SCOUTING. I don't know about all public land, but mature animalsoften move during midday just about everywhere I have hunted. Being able to set up and tear down quietly takes practice - something I hear or see VERY FEW hunters actually doing. I practice with my gear all year and practice a lot while I am scouting and prepping trees - and I've made it a habit to practice in the dark a lot.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:38 am

Ill consider relocating in certain situations. Honestly, i feel like any exp just seeing a shooter in bedding for the the AM (especially outside the rut) is a win. Obviously it would be nice to close the deal but I feel like that small encounter carries over big time. Not everyone gets to exp that either.

I do think there is an argument to be made that it doesnt take the rut to see these bucks but thats a lot to dive into. I have almost stepped on them in the dark so nothing is ever 100% but its always a gamble.

Awesome Dave! Thank you, great stuff man
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:15 am

Outstanding! Useful information and some broader thoughts on life.
Arakers

Unread postby Arakers » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Great article!
Working for the weekend
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks for sharing some of your knowledge with us Dave, I have sure learned a lot from this thread as well as others. Still trying to figure out hunting here in the south with no agg land around. You are definitely helping me to think differently. Would love to get to hunt with you in Texas some day
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Great Read!. Your a BEAST DT. BEAST is a mindset, you clearly have it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”