Hunting above a planted corn field

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Hunting above a planted corn field

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:19 am

This post might be long. So one of my woods i have to one, which is my best spot I need help with. I have scouted it hard this past winter and spring and found that my best bedding area is 15-40 yards back of the south field edge. Its a bedding area not a bed. This is thick nasty stuff which is so hard to get through with green up. A month ago i hunt a stand about 10 yards in the thicket from the field edge and was the only place I had a shot on a trail that cut east and west. And I hung a camera on the field edge. Before i even got there I jumped a deer close to that stand. It just bolted off. After checking my camera I have great picks of bucks and doe coming out of that bedding inot a planted corn field. They left like 20 yards from the woods unplanted this year bc the rain.
I know i cant hunt that stand bc I will push the deer out getting in. I thought about buying a tripod stand and setting back in the corn rows far enough back so the deer would not see me and hunting it. This would allow me to walk down a row of corn and get set up undetected and could hunt it any wind besides a south wind. Not saying the deer would not come into the corn but theres nothing in fron of the woods they would want to go to. If they walked out and kept going south they would hit houses and the road which is 400 yards or more away. I am thinking with the corn up the bigger bucks would still feel safe leaving that bedding and hitting that field edge bc I would have zero scent in the woods or even edge as long as I did not hunt it on a south wind. Thoughts on this ?

hambone
500 Club

Re: Hunting above a planted corn field

Unread postby hambone » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:44 am

i would hunt up in the corn in a blind chair or on a swivel bucket, just far enough in to leave yourself a shot to the field edge. There will be a bend, a low spot, a rise, inside corner, stunted corn or some other kind of edge that the deer prefer to travel while entering the corn. There should be some tracks to tip you off on where to set up. If the bucks are undisturbed, the corn is still standing and the bedding remains thick enough, good bucks could stay bedded close to the field edge. Usually as the leaf drop starts, the deer bed further away from the edge.
Hildebrand

Re: Hunting above a planted corn field

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:59 pm

makes sense. Normally the first few weeks of bow season it stays thick. I just figured not disturbing the woods or edge at all I could get a few good hunting in that spot as long as my wind doesnt blow from the south

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”