Dog bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chuck B
500 Club

Dog bedding

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 am

So I was sitting by the bonfire last night enjoying some cold ones when my dog (lab) comes and plops down nearby with her back to me and the fire. I noticed the wind, and she did have a wind coming slightly over her back. A little bit later and the kids come with the s’mores treats. Obviously she changed position so she could see the action (to see if some food fell). When the kids were gone again, she went back to looking away from me with the wind coming over her back.

I haven’t paid too much attention to my dogs use of the wind or thermals when we are hanging outside. Have any of you guys noticed anything with your dogs?

Nothing tactical that I hope to gain from this, just curious if some of you beasters have noticed anything with their pups.

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Dog bedding

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:09 am

I think all of it is just instinct. Like when I go to a restaurant I hate it when I have the seat facing the wall. I think all critters instinctually feel most at ease when we can assess life from as safe a position as possible.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:11 am

I need to pay attention to the wind when i see my dog bedding. I never watched a buck bed, but my dog walks in circles in his bed always before laying down.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:04 am

The way my dog lays usually seems to have more to do with temperature.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:25 pm

My boxer would always lay with her back to a campfire looking out into the woods. Just instinct I guess, pretty sure she thought she was protecting me, and she did see animals or people coming many times and alert me. I don't think it had anything to do with wind.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”