How do you use other hunters to your advantage?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: How do you use other hunters to your advantage?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:09 am

TN Whitetail Freak wrote:My 2018 buck i believe was a direct result of a hunter wind bumping him. That morning i met a guy in the parking lot after the am hunt. We chatted and he mentioned the giant rubs hed found and the big buck hed seen year prior. There was only one such rub in the area he was talking about and I had found that area during an inseason scouting session. They were abnormally large rubs for the area and the place was tore up with scrapes and rubs. He said he was going to hunt it that evening. Well he didn't know i had found the bucks bed back in july located downwind (SE) of the doe bedding. The wind was NW -WNW and i told him specifically that the wind was terrible to go in there and hed be done before he got started. He told me he didnt care he was gonna hunt no matter what. I made him aware id be back this evening to hunt. We ended our conversation and i had already made my mind up on what the evening hunt entailed. I drove 40 minutes back home, grabbed the waders and lunch then back out at 1:30. Well given the situation that was about to unfold, i marched a mile south and then east walking around the southern part of this known "bedding corridor". Crossed the chest high slough and setup on the ground at 3:30pm. At 3:45 i see my target buck walking south with the wind at his back. He could afford the wind at his bavk because i could see him at 200 yds and closing through the timber and im sure he could see the same. I knew the guy i spoke with earlier had indeed come in with that terrible wind just as id planned. The buck fed on water oaks for about 45 minutes i watched this 145" 9 pt casually make his way to me. Finally at 430pm i decided 40 yds was close enough and the rest was history. The deer is guestimated 5.5 -6.5 yr old

I remember reading that in Kill Zone. I love that story,

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:52 am

Anyone ever make fake rubs?
I bet so many hunters would hunt useless spots that dont understand how bucks bed.

I've never done it but It would be cool to see how many hunt areas just because theirs a big rub nearby.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 am

TN Whitetail Freak wrote:My 2018 buck i believe was a direct result of a hunter wind bumping him. That morning i met a guy in the parking lot after the am hunt. We chatted and he mentioned the giant rubs hed found and the big buck hed seen year prior. There was only one such rub in the area he was talking about and I had found that area during an inseason scouting session. They were abnormally large rubs for the area and the place was tore up with scrapes and rubs. He said he was going to hunt it that evening. Well he didn't know i had found the bucks bed back in july located downwind (SE) of the doe bedding. The wind was NW -WNW and i told him specifically that the wind was terrible to go in there and hed be done before he got started. He told me he didnt care he was gonna hunt no matter what. I made him aware id be back this evening to hunt. We ended our conversation and i had already made my mind up on what the evening hunt entailed. I drove 40 minutes back home, grabbed the waders and lunch then back out at 1:30. Well given the situation that was about to unfold, i marched a mile south and then east walking around the southern part of this known "bedding corridor". Crossed the chest high slough and setup on the ground at 3:30pm. At 3:45 i see my target buck walking south with the wind at his back. He could afford the wind at his bavk because i could see him at 200 yds and closing through the timber and im sure he could see the same. I knew the guy i spoke with earlier had indeed come in with that terrible wind just as id planned. The buck fed on water oaks for about 45 minutes i watched this 145" 9 pt casually make his way to me. Finally at 430pm i decided 40 yds was close enough and the rest was history. The deer is guestimated 5.5 -6.5 yr old

Cool success story.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:41 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Anyone ever make fake rubs?
I bet so many hunters would hunt useless spots that dont understand how bucks bed.

I've never done it but It would be cool to see how many hunt areas just because theirs a big rub nearby.

Wait, you haven't seen the video?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:44 am

The area I predominantly gun hunt, I shoot/ get a shot opportunity every year down there. It’s all based on people moving.

First year I shot a 9 point that is on my wall right away opening day. Second year I came back from lunch and had a slammer walk by while I was pulling my gun up (sit all day now). Third year got a nice 2.5 yo, doubled up the next year, and saw tons of deer and my dad blew a shot on one last year. Passed up a huge doe at point blank cause she was running.

All based on knowing where people are going and where the deer are, and where they go.

Bow hunting with low pressure is tougher cause it’s so unpredictable where people will be. Might be on one ridge all season, then they won’t be there for 3 seasons.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:37 pm

greenhorndave wrote:

? Video
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

? Video

https://youtu.be/Xr5jIGUVa30

Start at the 4 minute mark
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

? Video

Oh, you’re in for a treat. :D

It’s only my favorite Infaltian move of all time...

----------
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Jonny wrote:The area I predominantly gun hunt, I shoot/ get a shot opportunity every year down there. It’s all based on people moving.

First year I shot a 9 point that is on my wall right away opening day. Second year I came back from lunch and had a slammer walk by while I was pulling my gun up (sit all day now). Third year got a nice 2.5 yo, doubled up the next year, and saw tons of deer and my dad blew a shot on one last year. Passed up a huge doe at point blank cause she was running.

All based on knowing where people are going and where the deer are, and where they go.

Bow hunting with low pressure is tougher cause it’s so unpredictable where people will be. Might be on one ridge all season, then they won’t be there for 3 seasons.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

Yeah, I hunt a piece of private that can produce does pretty regularly, but during the daylight the bucks are mainly transient during the rut.

BUT, opening morning of gun season is almost a guaranteed shot at a buck if people stay out of a patch of woods throughout the year. See, the neighboring property holds the buck bedding. On opening morning, the neighbors go to get in their stands before legal light and bump the bucks out of their beds into adjacent woods that are devoid of human scent (aka ours). My buddy shot a 2.5 y/o eight last year and a 3.5 y/o ten came out about 15 minutes later.
----------
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:47 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Jonny wrote:The area I predominantly gun hunt, I shoot/ get a shot opportunity every year down there. It’s all based on people moving.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

Yeah, I hunt a piece of private that can produce does pretty regularly, but during the daylight the bucks are mainly transient during the rut.

BUT, opening morning of gun season is almost a guaranteed shot at a buck if people stay out of a patch of woods throughout the year. See, the neighboring property holds the buck bedding. On opening morning, the neighbors go to get in their stands before legal light and bump the bucks out of their beds into adjacent woods that are devoid of human scent (aka ours). My buddy shot a 2.5 y/o eight last year and a 3.5 y/o ten came out about 15 minutes later.

Yep I hunt a section of river bottoms that is kinda a pain to get down into if you don’t know what you are doing. Once you do it’s easy, just not a short hike. Everybody gun hunts on top in the oaks where all the sign is, and I have family hunting river bottoms to the west (almost always upwind). I’m kinda where it ends and the deer either circle around or run uphill.

Nothing big, but pretty solid deer compared to what my family has always gotten. All 2.5 y/o deer based on body weight. I’ve seen mature bucks doing this, just can’t get the stars to align. But every year I have the chance to take a shot and put something I see as respectable for me down. Put my dad in the kill seat last year and he blew it on another 2.5 y/o buck.

1553C035-E434-47D3-BAED-BBAE097786CB.jpeg
C0A1ECEB-1C59-4F78-A9AB-0E318540531A.jpeg
BDBA7E0D-BFC2-419D-8C63-EAA371D176AD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Awesome. Yeah, this is the one my friend got this year.

Resized_20181117_072925.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:17 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

? Video

Oh, you’re in for a treat. :D

It’s only my favorite Infaltian move of all time...

:lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”