WI trip - start to finish!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

WI trip - start to finish!

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:40 am

We recently had a thread asking why more non-residents don’t come to WI to hunt. I have never held a WI tag of any kind, never set foot on any ground aside from driving through, and have never really cyber scouted it aside from one marsh where a work shop was held. Never got to go due to a snow storm :twisted: I don’t really know much about WI other than what I’ve read on the forum.

As long as the wife is on board with the time frame and scheduling, I’m tentatively going to leave western MN on a Wednesday night and return Sunday afternoon. So the trip will be short and I will be going in 100% blind.

If all goes according to plan, I will document all the details and post them in this thread. I don’t think I will post aerials out of respect for the local Beasts who might frequent the properties I choose. But I will discuss my thought process on everything from cyber scouting, in the field scouting, and the hunt itself.

I figure it will be a good learning tool for everyone on the forum. At the very least, I’ll be able to show you what NOT to do :lol:

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Re: WI trip - start to finish!

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:15 am

Lots of cool land to explore! Being that you're in western MN im assuming youll hunt somewhere in the NW area of WI. Best of luck, hopefully you have a good kill story to share!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:21 am

8-)

You'll have fun, Wisconsin has reasonable tag price too. Good luck! !

Have you narrowed down county yet?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:25 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:8-)

No. I haven’t looked into anything yet. I imagine we’ll be on the West central or SW part of the state. Unless I find something elsewhere that catches my eye.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:26 am

Sounds fun, which part of the season will you target? Early, Rut or Late. Subscribed
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:28 am

Good luck! It'll be cool to follow along on your out of state experience and your perspective since I'm a Wisconsinite. ;)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:32 am

Awesome Lockdown!! I actually really enjoy these types of blind challenges and wish you the best!

I will for sure will be following your thread. Hope you end it with a great story of fun, and enjoyable hunt with a handful of massive antlers!

My b-i-l have been discussing a very similar type adventure in WI as well
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:47 am

Nice!

When you going? And whereabouts?

I'm definitely taking off opening week (Sept 15) and will try local spots before heading up near Hayward later that week.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:51 am

Lockdown wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:8-)

No. I haven’t looked into anything yet. I imagine we’ll be on the West central or SW part of the state. Unless I find something elsewhere that catches my eye.

Forgot to mention Tyler will be with as long as he can get work off. Forum member Tcjohnsonjacks. He’s the only person that I hunt with that I can’t out-work. It’s nice not having to hear the “you want to do what?!” type comments :lol:
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:54 am

Lock, can't wait to see how this unfolds!

Also, interesting timing. I'm taking my long trip the week of Sept 14-22 this year if everything falls the way I plan for it to (HAHA). Obviously I'll hit my normal Midwest spot at some point, but have been thinking of using WI as my backup spot if I kill early, or just to go up a few days and hunt before coming back and finishing out the week in my normal state. Have always wanted to hunt WI... and that thread the other day made me want to a bit more.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 am

I imagine we’ll be hunting the mid to late October time frame. Preferably the last week or so.

I’m going to be taking a few days off to bowhunt MN, and our gun season starts the 9th. So definitely won’t be in WI the week prior to that.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:29 am

Awesome! Good luck and have fun!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:43 am

Awesome and thanks in advance for sharing the story. I did a similar blind trip in Ohio last year and it was a blast. Enjoy and good luck.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:48 am

thwack16 wrote:Lock, can't wait to see how this unfolds!

Also, interesting timing. I'm taking my long trip the week of Sept 14-22 this year if everything falls the way I plan for it to (HAHA). Obviously I'll hit my normal Midwest spot at some point, but have been thinking of using WI as my backup spot if I kill early, or just to go up a few days and hunt before coming back and finishing out the week in my normal state. Have always wanted to hunt WI... and that thread the other day made me want to a bit more.

Not to hijack, but let me know. I don't have a huge database of spots, but we can tag-team it ala Dan and Mario if you want.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:50 am

Lockdown wrote:I imagine we’ll be hunting the mid to late October time frame. Preferably the last week or so.

I’m going to be taking a few days off to bowhunt MN, and our gun season starts the 9th. So definitely won’t be in WI the week prior to that.

Good deal. Hit me up before you go with where you are going. Might have an idea or two if I know the area. (maybe not likely, but worth a shot)
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”