Hanging tree stands in big trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cattailcrusher

Hanging tree stands in big trees

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:05 am

Wondering what you guys do when you run across a tree that you want to hang a stand in that is to big, (3'+ Diameter), for the straps on the treestand, currently using a lone wolf assault with just the top strap and cam locking the stand. Do you guys just use a longer ratchet strap, or put an extension of some sort on the existing strap?

Dewey

Re: Hanging tree stands in big trees

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:51 am

Lone Wolf sells extensions that attach to your current strap. I carry two of them and use them for sticks often especially the first few since the trees usually taper down after that.

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com ... __RBE.aspx
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 am

If I can’t get my arm half way around the tree.... I move on
The Spirit Lives On
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:03 pm

I did rope mods on all my sticks and stand with 8ft ropes. Seldom hang in a large tree but often do in a split tree and have maxed out the ropes on the first 2 sticks on multiple occasions.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:16 pm

I run into that frequently hunting the mostly mature forests of WV. I usually move on or find a ground setup-those big trees are great for ground setups. I don't worry about the treestand straps, as I can easily get longer ones, I don't like using a linemans belt in a tree that big and my typical rope will not fit a tree of that size. Not going up any tree if I can't stay connected, especially a big one I can't get my arms around. Everything is also more difficult if you can't get your arms somewhat around the tree.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:17 pm

I'll use a homemade extension if need be but have found it's really hard/unsafe to try and get into some of the really big trees. If I cant get my lineman belt around it I dont climb it.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Ishi Spirit wrote:If I can’t get my arm half way around the tree.... I move on

X2..Too much of a PITA...I'd rather set-up next to that big tree and use it for cover.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:54 pm

tgreeno wrote:

X2..Too much of a PITA...I'd rather set-up next to that big tree and use it for cover.

I actually prefer trees a little larger and like them as wide as my shoulders. They better hide my profile when on stand and I can blend in much better. Nothing worse than sitting skylined in a bean pole.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

I actually prefer trees a little larger and like them as wide as my shoulders. They better hide my profile when on stand and I can blend in much better. Nothing worse than sitting skylined in a bean pole.

Yeah, getting skylined is one of my pet peeves. It really grinded my gears the first time it happened. But, it’s sure instructive.

I have some big trees in my backyard to practice out of, so I’m either going to get an extender or do the Beast stick rope mod.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 pm

i have had problems with larger trees only when i try to use my first beast stick at the base of the tree. i just ordered at 10 or 12ft replacement strap for those larger tree bases. if your talking about having an issue in the top of the tree while setting your stand i would think same plan should work although i can honestly say i have never try to hang a set in a tree so big i couldnt set my stand do to the tree being too big.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Only time I’ve ever had to get into a monster tree like that was on private, so I bought some monster nails and drove them in in lieu of steps. If you’re on public that’s probably not an option.
cattailcrusher

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:09 am

Thanks for all the replies guys! The reason I asked is that this past weekend I scouted what looks to be a pretty secluded/overlooked very small (5 acre) piece of public land, can only access by kayak. As most of you mentioned I would usually try to find a different tree or sit on the ground nearby, but from what my gut was telling me and what I found while scouting I have to be setup up in this very big cottonwood tree, granted it could change when I show up during the season and don't see what I am looking for. Another question I have for you guys who run saddles, are you able easily get set up in these large trees, or do you have to add extensions to your lines also?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:48 am

I use to set up alot in larger diameter trees. It helped that screw in steps were still legal even on public back then. Often ended up setting the actual tree stand up on one of the trunks after it divided. Sometimes a larges branch. But I did carry an extension for when the trunk was still too large. Those were usually oaks. The problem with cottonwoods is they often don't split their trunks until 35+ feet up.

Maybe get a couple of extensions for a couple of sticks. Then find a large tree to practice on. Getting the extension flipped around the tree will be the hard part. You will find out if it's worth the effort to you personally! Or not.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17 pm

I haven’t tried it on the stand but have hooked two LW straps together before to get my bottom stick on.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Wlog wrote:I haven’t tried it on the stand but have hooked two LW straps together before to get my bottom stick on.

That works too. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”