Hanging tree stands in big trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Re: Hanging tree stands in big trees

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:08 am

We have a lot of cotton woods here which are huge and the only trees to hang in some areas. You need strap extensions. We have done screw in steps but they are awkward with the tree width and on those big cotton wood trees you are really only screwing into bark which I don’t like. It’s a pain no matter what you do.

buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:25 am

jporcello wrote:i have had problems with larger trees only when i try to use my first beast stick at the base of the tree. i just ordered at 10 or 12ft replacement strap for those larger tree bases. if your talking about having an issue in the top of the tree while setting your stand i would think same plan should work although i can honestly say i have never try to hang a set in a tree so big i couldnt set my stand do to the tree being too big.

Where did you find longer replacement straps at?
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am

buckeye wrote:
jporcello wrote:i have had problems with larger trees only when i try to use my first beast stick at the base of the tree. i just ordered at 10 or 12ft replacement strap for those larger tree bases. if your talking about having an issue in the top of the tree while setting your stand i would think same plan should work although i can honestly say i have never try to hang a set in a tree so big i couldnt set my stand do to the tree being too big.

Where did you find longer replacement straps at?

https://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Repl ... tand-Strap
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:29 pm

I bet 60% of the trees I hunt out of fit in this category. I find myself carrying in some of the stackable sticks with me and ratchet strapping them as high as I can reach from the ground and then climbing up them as high as I can safely and hoping I can get another ratchet strap or rope around the tree at that level.
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:24 pm

I have longer straps on most of my sticks and you end up throwing the buckle part around the back on the tree. Same for the stand or you can use a ratchet strap. My biggest concern with big trees is safety. You either need to keep reaching your lineman belt around the back of the tree or you can loop it around bigger branches overhead. I have one good tree like that where I end up leaving a lifeline hanging in the tree to make the process easier.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”