Shortcut trails and non traditional mountain tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Shortcut trails and non traditional mountain tactics

Unread postby JonNc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:45 pm

In my mountain scouting this spring, the best sign I found was technically best for a northeast wind. East winds are rare. I put a camera up on a very heavily used trail so will know a lot more when I check it in November. This trail was covered in big rubs and it’s thick. It is lower than the upper third. That part is confusing and the fact that such a heavy trail is best for an east wind is also confusing. I’ve scouted it twice, bumped into does, fresh droppings and tracks each time and obvious buck sign from months ago. We also found large sheds near this trail.

I’m thinking deer use this spot to transition from lower ground to the bigger ridges above. It seems to be a short cut rather than just a normal leeward cruising trail. Do others on here have experience hunting mountain spots like this? I believe there’s a video about the hunting the lower third that’s similar.

I know there’s other mountain threads, but I’d love to get a fresh one going with examples that have been successful whether it’s a standard upper 1/3 cruising trail or something against the grain that resulted in a buck. I look forward to sharing my experiences with this spot.

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Shortcut trails and non traditional mountain tactics

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm

What makes you think it is best for east wind? If it is hill country leeward tactics I suggest you rethink that idea. Mountains are a different thing than hill country. And if that trail is thick like you say and the rest of the woods are fairly open I would suggest hunting it whenever the sign dictates it, not based on prevailing wind, and then see how the wind/thermals act and how the deer use it.

I have many areas like that and I hunt them with great success, when the sign dictates it, with a windward wind or off winds. Some of these spots are wind specific and some are not. It may be that the wind tends to swirl at that elevation and that is part of why deer use it so much. The mountain laurel thread is a great example of this type of hunting.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:33 pm

brancher147 wrote:What makes you think it is best for east wind? If it is hill country leeward tactics I suggest you rethink that idea. Mountains are a different thing than hill country. And if that trail is thick like you say and the rest of the woods are fairly open I would suggest hunting it whenever the sign dictates it, not based on prevailing wind, and then see how the wind/thermals act and how the deer use it.

I have many areas like that and I hunt them with great success, when the sign dictates it, with a windward wind or off winds. Some of these spots are wind specific and some are not. It may be that the wind tends to swirl at that elevation and that is part of why deer use it so much. The mountain laurel thread is a great example of this type of hunting.

Yes, I was trying to apply hill country leeward tactics. I’m used to hunting hills, not as used to hunting mountains so this will be a learning curve for me. I appreciate your response because I was definitely over thinking it. I’m glad to hear you have success in similar spots bc I think this looked like a killer spot and I can hunt this trail and others that parallel it a few different ways.

I still think not getting busted could be tough but I’m just going to keep checking the wind while on stand and move if I have to.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Give the The Hunting Public podcast a listen with greg litzginger he is a beast and hunts mountian bucks in new jersery and get it done he does off the wall tactics. Dudes a killer!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”