"The Right Time"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjc1974us

"The Right Time"

Unread postby jjc1974us » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:22 am

Hey all,

New guy here, and this is my first question on the Forum, so please be gracious, and forgive me if this is a silly question.

I read alot about how we should "wait for the right time", or "when the conditions are right", before we go in for our "first time, best time" sit. What I don't ever read however, is what that actually means. For example, the wind may be correct for a stand 12 or 15 times over a 4 month archery season. How do we know which one of those 12 or 15 times is the "right time"? What are these "conditions" to be considered? Moon? Temperature? Pressure?

Thanks in advance, I love the experience and knowledge that is available here. You guys are awesome.

J. Carpenter

flgahunter114

Re: "The Right Time"

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 am

By checking for sign. If there is fresh sign-tracks rubs poo- that looks like it is going to that bedding area it’s the right time. But yes on the right wind and it conditions as well. Not every spot is the same to access so you may need the ground to be wet to slip in quietly and get set up. It’s all situational and your best guess.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 am

I think one of the biggest steps of becoming a great bed hunter is when you start getting good at reading bedding areas... Understanding why and when a buck beds in an area can be crucial for success. You have to look at the window of opertunity of when a buck would want most to bed there. Is the bedding area near doe bedding? Pre-rut would be good. Is it near a patch of isolated acorns? sounds like an opening week hunt. Is it near crop fields? Monitering the crop edge for sign or with a camera might be the ticket...
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:26 am

Welcome! The beast is an awesome forum, sometimes you can type in the search engine and it will pick up topics by key words. If that doesn't work then ask away!

Its ok to disagree and have different opinions on subject matters. But there's not much room for name calling. I don't see bullying on this forum like others. I've also learned a lot on here.

Yeah waiting for the right time is basically waiting for the best weather conditions to increase your odds of a successful ambush. The real trick is to have too many good spots already scouted so it's easier to bounce around based on wind and weather and time of season on when deer are using certain beds.

If you are limited on time and only get to hunt 5 times a season then by all means hit your spots that will give you the best odds every trip, but try to be smart with your setup and approach always. Keep in mind where the bucks and does are bedded. Sometimes if a wind isn't ideal I will approach differently and setup differently but still be in the same area if I think I can make it work. Your first trip in and your first hunt gives you your bests odds of success because you still have the element of surprise.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:19 am

For myself I think bucks are creatures of habit and do things for certain reasons. If I see a buck do something during a certain time frame under certain conditions, I expect him or any other buck of the same age to do the same thing under same time, same conditions. Except this time I am there waiting.

Sounds goofy but I would think anybody who spends a fare amount of time in the woods sees atleast one good buck that gets there heart racing. If u can determine what he is doing and why. Well it's IMO u can be there infront of him next time those conditions happen.

That's what I think of when I think about timing it up atleast.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 am

Along with what everyone else said I would factor in pressure. Is it a spots that bucks go to after they've been pressured elsewhere. If so then you may need to wait a few weeks for the right conditions to also be the right time. On the flip side if they are bedding in an obvious spot near an area that receives pressure then the right time may be before the first weekend of season for those Sept 15 or Oct 1 openers that happen during the week. This along with what everyone else has stated are the factors I consider
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:01 am

Welcome!

Basically what Dan said as per usual.. ;)

I’ll add that when you’re scouting and find a bed that you deem hunt worthy, really stop and pick apart the area. I think we’re all guilty of finding a big bed, cluster of beds, whatever... and just dropping a pin and leaving.

What really helps me is to whip out the compass, find the wind he beds there. Then check thermals to see a wind swirl etc.. Move to what the deer can see then and anticipate what he might see in June.. September etc

Branch out to what types of trees are adjacent, other nearby bedding, water, food, ESCAPE ROUTES and go from there. A note pad or taking a video with your phone really helps, talking about your observations and seeing what the area looks like. You’ll find a lot of beds, you will forget some aspects about each one but a video will save everything.

I hope this helps
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 am

It really boils down history and knowing your area. One year a place can be hot or it could be cold. Know how read sign and knowing when to move in or out. You have to do your homework. Draw maps, make notes. What ever it takes to get there.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”