Question about bedding in tree tops cut this past winter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Question about bedding in tree tops cut this past winter

Unread postby Hildebrand » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 pm

So I have a question about deer bedding in tree tops that were cut this past winter. Little back ground. All flat land in Michigan. No water in the woods but plenty close by. A big section was logged out like 10 years ago and the deer made it their bed room. Lots of good bedding. I used the woods that wasn't logged out to hunt and really used that transition line in my favor. So this past winter I heard that they were going to take out about 125 trees on the side that was not logged an they did. They left all the tops and some of my best areas over the years are trashed due to tops laying all around and the ruts they left. Most of the paths are random and are pretty thick and green already. So with this spot it was normally my best spot due to me having the best chances at seeing the best bucks. Typically i would hang cameras on the edge for inventory and a few spots that i could get to easy and all would be good. I would stay away from the trans line and the bedding just because I know how they used it after the years in there. I went to check my cameras yesterday for the first time since I put them up in march. I jumped 3 different bucks all bedding in the tree tops pretty close to the edge. What are my choices here? They were not big mature bucks,more like 1.5 and 2,5 year old bucks. I have 4 stands set on this woods and every year do well. My thing now is if i cant get to any spot how can I hunt this ?

One of the bucks took off and I stopped and seen him for a few and he was just blowing the woods out but just stoop there trying to see what scared him. He finally walked off to the ticket. The other two bucks just bolted because I came from behind them and they did not know what scared them

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question about bedding in tree tops cut this past winter

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 am

You need to look at where the bucks are bedding and where you can get to. No different strategies than before just a little more challenging. Do you have any side or back access? Can you take the property edges in?
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:45 am

On the good side to hunt I have the edges and sides in. Its just this year they did not plant anything on the side field. The one buck was about 40 yards off that field over looking it. So depending On wind and what not I could way out and around to slip in. The front field had corn planted late.

So what all the new tree tops, will the deer just use them at random ? I am going to learn how to be mobile this year. I think its my best chance with all the new tops laying around and all the new things i will have to adapt too
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:07 am

Hildebrand wrote:On the good side to hunt I have the edges and sides in. Its just this year they did not plant anything on the side field. The one buck was about 40 yards off that field over looking it. So depending On wind and what not I could way out and around to slip in. The front field had corn planted late.

So what all the new tree tops, will the deer just use them at random ? I am going to learn how to be mobile this year. I think its my best chance with all the new tops laying around and all the new things i will have to adapt too

Nothing mature bucks do is random. The biggest bucks will pick the best spots. Based on best view, elevation, wind, etc
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:16 am

Nothing mature bucks do is random. The biggest bucks will pick the best spots. Based on best view, elevation, wind, etc[/quote]

Right, I am learning that on this site. Lets say the mature bucks don't decide to use the tops as bedding like the smaller bucks do. Say they stick to the beds they typically use. I try and sneak in to that transition line like I like to hunt on the right wind and a smaller buck blows me out. That's what I was saying for random, the younger bucks. My guess is the smaller bucks are taking a liking to the tree tops for the fact that its close and easy to dinner. The mature bucks are tucked back in the middle of that ticket that's been growing for 10 years
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:26 am

Your asking a good question. Things have changed but the transition line is probably still the most important feature for your area.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:00 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Your asking a good question. Things have changed but the transition line is probably still the most important feature for your area.

That's what I am thinking. There are oak trees along that transition and if they come out of the ticket they can work that line north or south and head to a crop field. They sometimes just continue west and leave the woods to go across to the next woods/river bottom.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:24 am

anybody else care to chime in on this ? Has to be others that this has happened too

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”