2 body’s of water.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Manitoba derek

2 body’s of water.

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Ok so I have scouted this area and hung a stand a few weeks ago. But now I’m worried I might of buggered the set. I have a smaller river to the east of me (roughly 10 yards so I can canoe in) but with that said I have some standing water in the low area I am set up in just to the west of me. (Roughly 20 yards.) but not much sunlight makes it onto the water. when I chose the tree I was thinking the water thermals would pull my scent towards the river at points of no wind. But now thinking about it wouldn’t the standing water become warmer even in the shade and then pull my scent away from the river in the evening? I am going to bring some milk thistle (all we got in MB) and check when I do sit but I really don’t want to burn a evening hunt there if there is no doubt in your collective minds that the thermals will pull to the standing water over the slow flowing river.

“Keep fit and have fun!”
Hal Johnson & Joanne Mcleod
Manitoba derek

Re: 2 body’s of water.

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:58 pm

Sry it gave me a error when I tried to post then I tried again and I guess it did work the first time. My bad. Sry for the clutter. Hopefully some admin can delete this me of them
“Keep fit and have fun!”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 am

Hard to tell without a topo, might be one of those things you just have to hunt it to learn and know for sure. The pond might pull but the river could trump the pond or something else might be going on depending on the topography. Just give it a hunt and report back what you see, we don't have a ton of info on river thermals and there can be some very unique hunting situations.
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:21 am

Well then that’s what I’ll do. I’ll sit it opening day in August and see how the air currents go. If I was smarter I could prob figure out how to post a pic but I’m not lol. Not the best with computers... but I’m good at lots of other stuff haha. Thx for the help
“Keep fit and have fun!”
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:45 am

Let the milkweed be your guide? Maybe be ready to relocate slightly if you find the thermals doing one thing or the other? Sounds like it’s all in a relatively confined area so you might not need to shift very far.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 am

Ya it’s a pretty tight area. But yes it’s the first year hunting this spot. I am only planning on sitting it 3 times this year between late aug to early dec. so if I gotta move it early season I move it. Like ya said I’ll let the milkweed tell me where to go.
“Keep fit and have fun!”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”