CWD?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Randyflash

CWD?

Unread postby Randyflash » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:10 am

https://youtu.be/FlvfV0kQ95E

Saw this young buck on my run this morning... I live in the country in northern Michigan... lots of state land around although he is standing on private... all the deer in this area are extremely educated and won’t put up with humans, especially ones on foot... this buck just stood at 20 yards and looked at me for about 5 minutes. Question for you guys is this: is he sick or just stupid?
I’ve seen young deer let me get close before but this was bizarre behavior IMO...

matt1336
500 Club

Re: CWD?

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:36 am

He looks healthy to me. Not skinny. He was cautious of you, checking you out, stepping carefully. Summer deer, especially bucks are way different that fall bucks. I believe increases in testosterone and human pressure have a lot to do with it. He should be a nice one this fall.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:46 am

I see deer act like that often especially the one's that are being fed. I'm also guessing the wind was wrong and he didn't pick up your scent. Some deer appear really stupid till they get hit with some human scent.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:01 am

Very healthy looking youngster!
Deer don’t freak out every time they see a human
The Spirit Lives On
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:35 am

I think he looks good. Trying to make sense out of you. He’s constantly licking his nose so he’s trying to pick you up on scent to figure you out. He’s not totally wigged out, but not super comfortable either. He’s got good escape routes and you’re not totally on top of him and acting like a predator. It’s summer so he’s not getting pressured. I see does acting like that by me a lot in recent days.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:22 am

Here is a buck I filmed awhile back in early October. No fear whatsoever. He actually followed me to the garage looking for free handouts. Must be a Democrat. :lol:

https://youtu.be/i0_V7UnltvI

He looks well fed. I suspect there has been some illegal feeding going on in the area.
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:41 am

Probably just stupid. I’ve never heard of a CWD symptom being a reduced fear of humans.
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:20 am

Dewey wrote:Here is a buck I filmed awhile back in early October. No fear whatsoever. He actually followed me to the garage looking for free handouts. Must be a Democrat. :lol:

https://youtu.be/i0_V7UnltvI

He looks well fed. I suspect there has been some illegal feeding going on in the area.

Unreal!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 am

You are very correct when you said they are well aware of humans and dont put up with much. It is summer and there is not much to put up with. He knew this and therfore was not scared or threatened.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:02 am

Looks fine to me. He just didn't realize what you were.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”