Food plots in...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Food plots in...

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Put in 2 pumpkin patches with wheat seed for cover Wednesday July 3rd.
40 plants in one plot
70 plants in the other.
A lot of work and no guarantees that any plant will take. Oh well...
Anybody got any plots in and what u plantin? Why did you pick that?

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
matt1336
500 Club

Re: Food plots in...

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 am

We put our soybeans in a few weeks ago....really late compared to most years. I’d rather not plant as many beans as we do because they’re gone, the deer and turkeys clear them out by October. I’m out voted tho. My family seems to like all the summer and early fall pics of bucks. Then they wonder where the bucks go later in October and the rest of the year.
Anywho. We plant beans, clover mixes and some brassicas . This property is in northern Wisconsin, Price County. I do most of my hunting on public land in SE WI
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 pm

My experience is any food source that stays green later into fall/winter, is high in calories, or fat/protein will draw deer.
Clover, winter wheat, turnips, etc....
Soybeans are great if the deer don’t eat them all before late season hits.
Corn is overrated. Very little nutritional value to deer based on what I’ve read.
I thought I’d try pumpkins cause they’re high in protein and deer generally leave them alone till they’re ripe.
Hopefully, it keeps more deer on the property.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 pm

The pumpkin plots are interesting! Update us on how that goes please.

I clipped two white clover plots on the 4th. Both need to be sprayed to remove grasses, but will give it a few more weeks so that the heat plus spray doesn’t negatively effect the clover.

Plan to redo/put in 4 more clover plots in September. Will start the process of spraying and discing those shortly.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 am

I was given a flatbed trailer full of pumpkins 2 years ago and it didn't go so well for me. Apparently hogs luv pumpkins and demolished the property I was hunting. I had to pay a guy with a backhoe to fix the farmers road. Then last year from the seeds they grew everywhere, I sprayed round up on the vines. Wasn't gonna pay for no more dirt work.

Hunted a sunflower field once that the deer loved once they dried out. Not sunflower weeds but those big suckers. Man the deer hammered them things.

If I lived up north I would plant sugar beets. Seen some old footage of a guy running a disk over em like a wood chipper. They fermented and deer flocked in and u couldn't run them off the field blasting shotguns. There were on a drunk sugar high.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:18 pm

vtbuck wrote:My experience is any food source that stays green later into fall/winter, is high in calories, or fat/protein will draw deer.
Clover, winter wheat, turnips, etc....
Soybeans are great if the deer don’t eat them all before late season hits.
Corn is overrated. Very little nutritional value to deer based on what I’ve read.
I thought I’d try pumpkins cause they’re high in protein and deer generally leave them alone till they’re ripe.
Hopefully, it keeps more deer on the property.

I wouldn't say corn is over rated. High in carbs and deer love it on the ground. It also sticks around alot longer than any other plot imo.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”