Early season hunting, is it just to hot out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Early season hunting, is it just to hot out?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:42 am

This probably is not the answer you are seeking but IMO it depends. There are some places I hunt you couldn't pay me to go in before November - why? because the bucks are not present until Nov. And then there are other places where I would rather hunt it early, especially over a hidden water hole.

I suppose the mil planner is coming out in me. There is no "one weapon" that works best in all cases against all enemies. We are taught the concepts of provision, effectiveness, proportionality, and lethality - there is a host of factors to consider before picking a weapon and timing the deployment of that weapon. Deer hunting is not so different.

The easiest time to kill a buck is when he is most vulnerable. And as much as people want a cookie cutter approach there are far too many factors to stamp out a single right answer. Use the tactic and the time where they are most vulnerable. I have seen just as many hunts for a specific buck ruined by going in to early as I have going in to often. Sometimes the best thing to do is to wait until it is the right time. And when comparing early season to late season, both are reliant on bed to food patterns. And all else being equal, late season will trump early season for one simple reason - there is much less food available and thus there is more competition for it. So IMO that is the easiest time to locate and pattern a buck - all else being equal. But let an unseasonable winter come about, or a fire and there ya go - pretty much screwed if that was your game plan.

RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 am

funderburk wrote:
Quest1001 wrote:So what do you guys recommend for an early season sit against mosquitoes?

Bug spray?
Nets?
Do you wear gloves and long sleeves?

Permethrin for your clothes, hat, boots. Picaridin for your skin. And a thermacell for when you’re not moving. You’ll be tick and mosquito free.

I had not heard of Picaridin, thanks for the tip! In my amazon cart now.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:35 am

DaveT1963 wrote: And then there are other places where I would rather hunt it early, especially over a hidden water hole.

When you (or any one who reads this for that matter) say a "hidden" water hole or just hunting over water holes in general when its hot, are they the only or one of the few source of water in a large area or is it lets say a pond in the middle of the woods surrounded by thick, secure cover even though theres the river and plenty of other water around that they can choose from?
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:18 am

I’m not going to sound like I have early season figured out because I don’t. Fact of the matter is I have historically sucked at finding bucks in general in early season. I have an October 1 opener and they are in between coming off summer food, seeking acorns, and ramping up for rut activity. It’s “hot” everywhere. Whether it be mid 80’s up north or low/mid 90’s in the south it’s hot. IMHO I think the most overlooked factor of early season is “cool” bedding. They simply want to lay somewhere with shade and good air flow. Good air flow helps with keeping the bugs down also. I think that’s why the marshes are so productive for a lot of guys up north aside from the pressure factor. Add some acorns close by and you have highly desired bedding. It’s all about finding the scenarios with the most +’s for a mature buck and figuring when best to insert yourself in the equation to capitalize.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:22 am

bcarey2 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote: And then there are other places where I would rather hunt it early, especially over a hidden water hole.

When you (or any one who reads this for that matter) say a "hidden" water hole or just hunting over water holes in general when its hot, are they the only or one of the few source of water in a large area or is it lets say a pond in the middle of the woods surrounded by thick, secure cover even though theres the river and plenty of other water around that they can choose from?

same as any other overlooked area - a place close to, or in the bedding where deer can get a drink and they are not molested by people. Some are just far, others are not on maps, some are right next to roads, etc. I seldom find mature buck bedding areas that do not have a water supply close at hand. Some parts of the country this is effective do to limited water availability, others it may not be as there might be abundant water sources, but rest assured, all bucks drink water during hot spells..... the question is whether its a tactic you can capitalize on based on your unique situation. Here is TX during Oct it can be dynamite.... and during the rut, on a hot day, a buck can stop to get a drink at anytime of the day.... running tends to make them thirsty ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”