Early season hunting, is it just to hot out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

austin1990
500 Club

Re: Early season hunting, is it just to hot out?

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Quest1001 wrote:So what do you guys recommend for an early season sit against mosquitoes?

Bug spray?
Nets?
Do you wear gloves and long sleeves?

A thermacell with extra fuel cartridges and extra pads. I will use deep woods off if I forget the thermacell, you're hunting the wind anyways so if they smell the bug spray they've already smelled you. I do wear long sleeves, just because I'm a welder and used to wearing long sleeves in the heat regardless and it doesnt bother me.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:45 pm

austin1990 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I let the deer tell me when I need to hunt. I don't storm the gates just because it's opening day. The only thing that pic tells me is that guy is hunting a completely diff set of conditions or the season hasn't opened yet. Hunt anyway u see fit makes no diff to me if I'm not hardcore enough to sit out in 100 degree heat and watch squirrels and yearlings. Look forward to seeing your early season monster in the kill zone. 8-)

Season opened September 22nd that year, I was at work sadly when that was taken :cry:

It is private land and I'm the only bow hunter around so I get about a month to myself before others start hunting it. That bachelor group of bucks would hit that plot at all hours of the day, most active was surprisingly in the morning and mid day but it did get some afternoon action. My thinking on that was in the morning they'd eat a bite and get a drink at the only water around before going to bed, mid day it was hot so they came for a drink and snack. They could bed within 20 yards of it if they wanted and watch it from the hill above, makes the entry very critical. I never seen that big 10 point or the big 6 while hunting, but passed up the others. I did kill a few hogs there that season and one of my nephews killed a big 10 there I'd never had on camera.

Be interesting if u knew the moon time of that pic. Be willing to almost bet it was during a full moon. I've seen bucks due samiliar but in my case they were always bedded watching the area all day which made getting within bow range of it pretty tough. Looks like I also hunt a different kind of landscape and compete against diff elements.

For one dove season is big business here so by opener there's no open areas that haven't been hammered by shotguns for over a month. Acorns are everywhere here and start raining shortly after the opener switching the whitetails menu. More often than not they just don't move, they don't have to. They can eat all they want laying down if they wanted. Another prob is air currents. With a full canopy your scent just pulls and circles down in the low spots. When the bucks do move they stick to these low spots both because the air current and because all the acorns rolling down hillside get caught here.

I have been around horses, livestock dogs etc... All my life. And every one of them will eat about 1/5 less during the hot months. The heat curbs there appetite and I suspect deer are no different. So while yes deer might not realize it's hot outside cause they never had a/c might be true. But there stomach knows it's hot out and they consume way less calories.

That said I still give it my best when I feel theres something to capitalize on reguardless of heat. But I don't wanna go burning out spots just to say I went hunting.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Youre either in the deer or you’re not. Simple as that. My “best” September hunt before a hurricane hit I saw 53ish deer in one afternoon sit. On public land. Never let an arrow fly, though :violin:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:10 pm

burkhart wrote:What people forget is the deer live there and to them it’s just another day wether it’s hot or not. The heat only matters to the creature that sits in AC all day

Sage words.

I see deer every day in the middle of the day no matter the heat, albeit in an unpressured area. They gotta eat and drink during the warm stuff too.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:57 pm

A thermacell, a gallon of water, and some big spray makes any sit doable

I haven’t mastered the art of hitting deer with my truck, so if I want venison, I need to be in the woods. Seen just as many deer in super hot weather as I have in cold weather. They don’t care. Life goes on
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Not hunting because it's too hot or the mosquitoes are too bad..........that's just crazy talk. :naughty:

If I'm off of work I'm hunting and rarely let the conditions dictate when I hunt. Some of my best days of hunting were on the worst weather days of the season.
flgahunter114

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:26 am

For the mosquitos I spray DEET bug spray. I’m hunting the wind.
For the ticks and red bugs I mix the cattle permethrin from tractor supply 1/14 oz water and spray my clothes and let dry.
There is no getting away from the heat, I’m there for the deer regardless of conditions.
As for the yellow flies, you got to move real slow and get close with one hand to flick and squish em.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:28 pm

I sweat just as bad if not worse then most. However I
Love the early season, the deer are the least pressured they will be which equals most predictable. Bucks are in bachelor groups and haven’t dispersed. With the foliage being it’s thickest you have a substantially lower chance of getting picked off. Lastly the woods are relatively quiet compared to a one or two months later into the fall.
Persistence is undefeated.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:00 pm

I hate the bugs and the heat, but I like the early season. The kids and I hunt alot after school/work. When it is hot and doesn't get dark till later we have more time to hunt. The hot weather also keeps movement till more towards dark so we are less likely to bust deer that are starting to move. We have always done pretty well most years that 1st 10 days of the season. Our season doesn't start till late Sept/early October though.
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 am

Part of it is a time thing. Most guys have limited vacation and other stuff going and the numbers say the rut is your best chance. That being said with the current explosion in public land hunting interest the amount of hunters in the parking lots this fall should be interesting. For that reason I think early may actually be better after you get past that opening weekend. For mosquitoes invest in a Therma Cell. And yes I too am a proud Saddle Beast!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:Things I hate more than THE HEAT in early season are...
- chiggers
- ticks

Agreed.

Rhinoskin or spandex work out cloths. I dont even use spray in season anymore and have confidence to walk thru anything.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:25 pm

I love Sept.

I still focus on fronts and temps but iv hunted in before. Cool fronts in Sept are one of greatest times to kill a buck. He's relaxed, going to food and when the front is prime he will be moving.

Acorns can make things difficult... If it's hot outside, im staying home w the family. High temps and a bad shot make for a terrible time.

Humidy is my only true enemy though
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:27 am

Jonny wrote:A thermacell, a gallon of water, and some big spray makes any sit doable

I haven’t mastered the art of hitting deer with my truck, so if I want venison, I need to be in the woods. Seen just as many deer in super hot weather as I have in cold weather. They don’t care. Life goes on

For some reason many women seem to have mastered the art of hitting them with the car! :lol:

My sister is one of them :D
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 am

Quest1001 wrote:So what do you guys recommend for an early season sit against mosquitoes?

Bug spray?
Nets?
Do you wear gloves and long sleeves?

all of the above + thermo cell. once you are up in a tree, sometimes it gets better. last year we had an explosion of sketters right before season. the marsh was flooded, and every step you took kicked up a couple hundred of them or so it seemed. 2 thermos cells may have worked, but i have only 1. it wasnt to bad in the tree, but once the sun started to go down, the thermocell couldnt keep up with them. long sleeves, gloves, and a head net worked.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:16 am

I shoot a good one last sept 19th. 94 degrees out at 520 in the afternoon. He stood up outta his bed and was going to the creek for water. I know Dan has said it numerous times but early season is the best shot at killing a mature buck before the pressure starts. I would take the heat, ticks, and humidity and rather hunt sept then the cold and rut in November. I know I’m weird but I truly love early season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”