Early season hunting, is it just to hot out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

austin1990
500 Club

Early season hunting, is it just to hot out?

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:49 am

I hear a lot of people say they don't hunt til the rut and it always baffled me. Early season is my favorite time of year to hunt and if you can get a buck on a early season food source you have a great shot at him. Guys I work with always state the reason for not hunting early season is the heat as the main excuse. They say its miserable to sit there, the deer don't move til it's dark, the bugs make it worse. These are also the same guys that don't pay attention to wind direction, stand placement or a why a deer is using that location. Theyll see a rub or scrape pop up on the side of a field or road and sit there, even though the bedding area may be a mile from there. Being able to read hot sign and where to hunt is just a piece of the puzzle. I was looking back through pics and videos and came across this one and it's what gave me the idea for this post. Now this spot is great all year, just because deer bed within 100 yards a lot of the time, when it's super dry the only water for 1/2 mile is just out of the frame and I always have a food plot here. Note the time and temp. It sure didnt stop these bucks from enjoying a hot food source, so why should the heat keep you from hunting?

https://youtu.be/wJMWqK8KGBs

whi52873

Re: Early season hunting, is it just to hot out?

Unread postby whi52873 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:55 am

It definitely doesn't stop me.

I love the fact that people don't hunt early season...you get all the woods/deer to yourself for 2-3 weeks.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:23 am

I will admit sitting and sweating with bugs making a buffet out of me isnt as fun BUT....
I dont care if its 100 degrees, if I feel like I have a shot at killing a buck im after, then, sitting in 100 degrees it is!

Yes, I have in the past and for sure will do so again!

Like already mentioned, many simply will not hunt in hot weather.... while those are inside with the a/c and cold drink, I say thank you and have the place to myself 8-)
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:13 am

Things I hate more than THE HEAT in early season are...

- mosquitoes
- chiggers
- poison oak/ivy
- ticks
- snakes

BUT ...I'm still after 'em!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Raun

Unread postby Raun » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:40 am

I'm confused not about the same post that's on saddlehunter but the exact same comments by the exact same people in the exact same order? Is this trickery or what?
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:53 am

Raun wrote:I'm confused not about the same post that's on saddlehunter but the exact same comments by the exact same people in the exact same order? Is this trickery or what?

;) ...both posts hit my news feed at once and I replied to both. I actually thought about NOT responding because of the fact you point out. But since not everyone is on both sites, I responded. I'd say your observations is not all that uncommon

So my question back to you, based on your opinion/observation:

Do we choose one site over the other?

Since most guys with our mindset eventually find their ways to SaddleHunter and The BEAST (as you have noticed), what would your recommendation be re: posting/responding?

i.e. equipment talk to saddle hunter and technical talk to The BEAST? other?

There is such a blend, I think you'll find it's tough to separate the two. And if I'm responding to the same question on two different sites, my answer will still be the same ...so I don't understand the 'trickery or what' comment.

I'm seriously curious, as I've have the same feeling but am also guilty of contributing to the 'confusion'.

Thoughts?
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:20 am

Raun wrote:I'm confused not about the same post that's on saddlehunter but the exact same comments by the exact same people in the exact same order? Is this trickery or what?

I had a deja vu feeling from that as well, but think it's mostly just because a good amount of the same guys hit both sites and if you're like me at home on a hot Friday afternoon what better to do than read up on your favorite forums
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:52 am

Just part of it. Sure is nice when temps drop a little. But, not going to stop me.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:09 pm

I like to hunt whenever I can hunt and I'm not going to skip a month of the season because it's hot. I even see bucks occasionally :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:25 pm

I let the deer tell me when I need to hunt. I don't storm the gates just because it's opening day. The only thing that pic tells me is that guy is hunting a completely diff set of conditions or the season hasn't opened yet. Hunt anyway u see fit makes no diff to me if I'm not hardcore enough to sit out in 100 degree heat and watch squirrels and yearlings. Look forward to seeing your early season monster in the kill zone. 8-)
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm

backstraps wrote:I will admit sitting and sweating with bugs making a buffet out of me isnt as fun BUT....
I dont care if its 100 degrees, if I feel like I have a shot at killing a buck im after, then, sitting in 100 degrees it is!

Yes, I have in the past and for sure will do so again!

Like already mentioned, many simply will not hunt in hot weather.... while those are inside with the a/c and cold drink, I say thank you and have the place to myself 8-)

I agree.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Raun

Unread postby Raun » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:

;) ...both posts hit my news feed at once and I replied to both. I actually thought about NOT responding because of the fact you point out. But since not everyone is on both sites, I responded. I'd say your observations is not all that uncommon

So my question back to you, based on your opinion/observation:

Do we choose one site over the other?

Since most guys with our mindset eventually find their ways to SaddleHunter and The BEAST (as you have noticed), what would your recommendation be re: posting/responding?

i.e. equipment talk to saddle hunter and technical talk to The BEAST? other?

There is such a blend, I think you'll find it's tough to separate the two. And if I'm responding to the same question on two different sites, my answer will still be the same ...so I don't understand the 'trickery or what' comment.

I'm seriously curious, as I've have the same feeling but am also guilty of contributing to the 'confusion'.

Thoughts?

Pretty new to both sites, just wondering.
Raun

Unread postby Raun » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:07 pm

austin1990 wrote:

I had a deja vu feeling from that as well, but think it's mostly just because a good amount of the same guys hit both sites and if you're like me at home on a hot Friday afternoon what better to do than read up on your favorite forums

Sounds good, I was just wondering about it. I'm addicted to both forums.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:12 pm

So what do you guys recommend for an early season sit against mosquitoes?

Bug spray?
Nets?
Do you wear gloves and long sleeves?
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I let the deer tell me when I need to hunt. I don't storm the gates just because it's opening day. The only thing that pic tells me is that guy is hunting a completely diff set of conditions or the season hasn't opened yet. Hunt anyway u see fit makes no diff to me if I'm not hardcore enough to sit out in 100 degree heat and watch squirrels and yearlings. Look forward to seeing your early season monster in the kill zone. 8-)

Season opened September 22nd that year, I was at work sadly when that was taken :cry:

It is private land and I'm the only bow hunter around so I get about a month to myself before others start hunting it. That bachelor group of bucks would hit that plot at all hours of the day, most active was surprisingly in the morning and mid day but it did get some afternoon action. My thinking on that was in the morning they'd eat a bite and get a drink at the only water around before going to bed, mid day it was hot so they came for a drink and snack. They could bed within 20 yards of it if they wanted and watch it from the hill above, makes the entry very critical. I never seen that big 10 point or the big 6 while hunting, but passed up the others. I did kill a few hogs there that season and one of my nephews killed a big 10 there I'd never had on camera.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”