Turd Size

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Turd Size

Unread postby Drenalin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:38 am

I'd always heard that does generally poop in piles, whereas buck droppings tend to be a little more spread out. Like they just let it go without breaking stride much. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but it's always in the back of my mind when I come up on a "spread" of droppings rather than a "pile."

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:43 am

Everyone has an option about chit...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:47 am

If I find 3/4”-1” droppings especially when clumped the size of a soda can I pay attention. These have much more often than not led me to a mature buck. It’s just a small piece of the puzzle but helps to key me into other sign that may be in the area. Droppings are easy to find compared to tracks and beds so they are a big part of my scouting.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:48 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Everyone has an option about chit...

lol, and put another way, " opinions don't mean chit"
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:49 am

Dewey wrote:If I find 3/4”-1” droppings especially when clumped the size of a soda can I pay attention. These have much more often than not led me to a mature buck. It’s just a small piece of the puzzle but helps to key me into other sign that may be in the area. Droppings are easy to find compared to tracks and beds so they are a big part of my scouting.

agree - I will admit when the hogs are eating grasses it becomes harder to tell if some of it is a good buck or hogs - at least for me... they often resemble large pellet deer turds.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:50 am

I think these are buck turds

https://youtu.be/dp4ZZ0MFIZk
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:53 am

greenhorndave wrote:I think these are buck turds

https://youtu.be/dp4ZZ0MFIZk

That buck has on heck of a sense of humor! :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:03 am

The aforementioned Dr Nordberg...

Certain viable, hunting-related conclusions can be drawn from discoveries of deer droppings. Lots of off-trail droppings, fresh (shiny) and old (dry with dull surfaces) scattered over an area several acres in size are characteristic of whitetail feeding or bedding areas (bedding areas also have beds, of course). Discovering droppings about 1/4 inch in length, fawn droppings, mean two deer live in the area: a fawn and mature doe. Lots of three-inch tracks and half-inch droppings are characteristic of mature does and their home ranges. Half-inch droppings and three-inch tracks of two deer traveling together (in fall) are likely made by a mature northern state doe accompanied by its yearling (1-1/2 year-old) buck. Droppings and tracks of normally smaller yearling does are somewhat shorter. Yearling bucks and yearling does without young remain in the ranges of their mothers until the beginning of their third spring.

Fresh droppings longer than one-half inch, made by mature bucks only, are regularly found in doe home ranges after about September 1st for two reasons: 1) larger buck ranges normally overlap several doe ranges and 2) after shedding antler velvet, mature bucks regularly visit does and their young during periods of feeding until the third two-week period of breeding ends in early January.

Droppings of whitetail bucks 4-1/2 to 6-1/2 years of age (the largest of bucks) measure ¾ to 1-1/4 inch in length in my northern Minnesota hunting/study area. Though most bucks of similar ages have droppings of similar lengths, their diameters can vary considerably, some droppings appearing long and skinny and others appearing egg-shaped, revealing the presence of more than one buck of similar age or size living in the area. Where I hunt, any buck that has droppings 7/8th to one inch in length is almost certain to be “trophy-class,” a buck you’d want to have mounted. Some of our bucks with ¾ inch droppings, generally 3-1/2 year-olds with wide and tall but more slender antlers, fall into this category.

If from this day on you skillfully limit your stand hunting to trails and sites marked with fresh buck droppings ¾-inch in length or longer (usually clumped in fall) and resist the urge to take lesser bucks or does, you will begin to enjoy the most incredible whitetail hunting of your life.

https://drnordbergondeerhunting.blog/20 ... g-success/
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:27 am

There is poo and then there is big poo . For me, big poo and big tracks are the next best thing to laying eyes the deer.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:07 am

Another thing when I see a big turd all I say is that had to hurt........ :lol: :lol:
The Spirit Lives On
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:11 am

greenhorndave wrote:The aforementioned Dr Nordberg...

Certain viable, hunting-related conclusions can be drawn from discoveries of deer droppings. Lots of off-trail droppings, fresh (shiny) and old (dry with dull surfaces) scattered over an area several acres in size are characteristic of whitetail feeding or bedding areas (bedding areas also have beds, of course). Discovering droppings about 1/4 inch in length, fawn droppings, mean two deer live in the area: a fawn and mature doe. Lots of three-inch tracks and half-inch droppings are characteristic of mature does and their home ranges. Half-inch droppings and three-inch tracks of two deer traveling together (in fall) are likely made by a mature northern state doe accompanied by its yearling (1-1/2 year-old) buck. Droppings and tracks of normally smaller yearling does are somewhat shorter. Yearling bucks and yearling does without young remain in the ranges of their mothers until the beginning of their third spring.

Fresh droppings longer than one-half inch, made by mature bucks only, are regularly found in doe home ranges after about September 1st for two reasons: 1) larger buck ranges normally overlap several doe ranges and 2) after shedding antler velvet, mature bucks regularly visit does and their young during periods of feeding until the third two-week period of breeding ends in early January.

Droppings of whitetail bucks 4-1/2 to 6-1/2 years of age (the largest of bucks) measure ¾ to 1-1/4 inch in length in my northern Minnesota hunting/study area. Though most bucks of similar ages have droppings of similar lengths, their diameters can vary considerably, some droppings appearing long and skinny and others appearing egg-shaped, revealing the presence of more than one buck of similar age or size living in the area. Where I hunt, any buck that has droppings 7/8th to one inch in length is almost certain to be “trophy-class,” a buck you’d want to have mounted. Some of our bucks with ¾ inch droppings, generally 3-1/2 year-olds with wide and tall but more slender antlers, fall into this category.

If from this day on you skillfully limit your stand hunting to trails and sites marked with fresh buck droppings ¾-inch in length or longer (usually clumped in fall) and resist the urge to take lesser bucks or does, you will begin to enjoy the most incredible whitetail hunting of your life.

https://drnordbergondeerhunting.blog/20 ... g-success/

Good read. I may have to pay more attention to length. Wonder how much that differs for these giant florida bucks
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:17 am

https://drnordbergondeerhunting.blog/20 ... g-success/[/quote]
Good read. I may have to pay more attention to length. Wonder how much that differs for these giant florida bucks[/quote]

I feel like it is definitely subjective based on the size of deer in your region. Here in Northwest Arkansas, our deer aren't near as big as the east Arkansas/Mississippi delta deer. Good question though, I wonder how much it differs as well.
Dalton916

Unread postby Dalton916 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:38 am

SC turd from last week....

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:42 am

Holy crap. Two pages on poop. :o
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:50 am