Q & A - Arrowbender

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Q & A - Arrowbender

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:07 pm

You mentioned you were lazy, but I don't believe that at all knowing you. Just because you hunt mostly private does not equal lazy.

You hunted out west, CO for elk, with your younger brother for quite a few seasons. Was there any whitetail tactics you used out west, OR was there any elk tactics you brought back from your time out west that helped you in the whitetail woods?

There is a lot of archery hunters on the BEAST, and a lot of interest from whitetail hunters to go west. Anything that you can cross reference might be helpful.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Arrowbender
500 Club

Re: Q & A - Arrowbender

Unread postby Arrowbender » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:You mentioned you were lazy, but I don't believe that at all knowing you. Just because you hunt mostly private does not equal lazy.

You hunted out west, CO for elk, with your younger brother for quite a few seasons. Was there any whitetail tactics you used out west, OR was there any elk tactics you brought back from your time out west that helped you in the whitetail woods?

There is a lot of archery hunters on the BEAST, and a lot of interest from whitetail hunters to go west. Anything that you can cross reference might be helpful.

Biggest thing I noticed is that elk don't stop or slow down as much as WT. First few years I screwed myself by waiting for a shot.

I also noticed that they really linger on their way into their destination. I believe it's their way of catching all of the swirling wind/thermals to scent check areas.

Their reaction to calling is a lot different than WT in that they answer, and yet similar in that they are very curious and come in to check you out, and often not in an aggressive manner.

I also relate how elk react to calling so much better if you get in close to their bedding.

I would not put too much weight in to what I say though, as I am a very low success rate elk killer. No regrets on trying though !!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”