Have I become a public land snob?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Have I become a public land snob?

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:10 am

Most of you know I grew up on the East coast, in Vermont specifically. And then the last two years I spent in Idaho, now that I am back east in PA, I have found myself looking down my nose as private land. I am having a hard time finding decent public land here, even using OnX, and I was thinking of knocking on private landowners doors, but I just don't have the ambition ti bother. I grew up hunting a smaller peice of private, and had not great experiences with tresspassing, and I have found myself really missing the vast expanses of the western states. I think this is because I found myself very alone on public out there, I got wayyyy away from the crowds and really enjoyed the process. I am having a bit of a hard time getting back into the swing of scouting back here, maybe because I think come season, it is all going to go out the door, because the public here gets hammered to no end. Have I been spoiled out west? Have I become a public land snob? I dare say so, I am just not finding the enjoyment being where I am. And that isnt good for me mentally. Hunting has always been a healing hobby. Im struggling to say the least.

Just my thoughts of the day.

-Rick
muddy

Re: Have I become a public land snob?

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:39 am

You can't compare Pennsylvania and Idaho public hunting, to even try is going to put you into a depression. Gunna need to get your mind wrapped around what you need to do to make it fun and rewarding before season or else take up fishing, knitting, or micro-brewing.

I do not envy your situation and I truly hope you get the adjustments made to salvage your upcoming season. I'm not trying to be a jerk , it just comes too naturally on a morning where I did a 13 mile run in 95% humidity. Good luck
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:03 am

You can find good little slices here but the learning curve is probably as steep as it gets. Mentally, I wouldn't get too discouraged especially this time of year. Summer is not scouting season unless you like to watch bachelor groups in fields. By the time our season starts all those bucks will be on entirely different patterns. Come September when we get a couple crisp days and fall is in the air, I would bet the fire will be burning again and you'll be singing a different tune.

On the merits of being a public land snob, that is a weird one to me. I wouldn't say I am a snob. I don't have the free cash flow to purchase my own property. I don't want to deal with persnickety landowners. So I hunt public. I have no problem finding elbow space but it does take a lot of work, and a lot of windshield time. As far as relating to other people, yeah I relate mostly to other public hunters. I really could care less about what other people do hunting in general, and I could certainly care less what people hunting private are up to because I don't relate. If I owned 500 acres and planted foodplots I would relate to other foodplotters. I'm not saying my way is better we all just relate to similarities. I can't see how it would but that makes me a snob because I don't care a lick about someone, so be it.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:11 am

Its really more about embracing what you do have, than being bitter about what you don't... Hunting amongst the crowd can be equally rewarding if not more so. I take great satisfaction hunting the same land as everyone else but always doing a bit better, and coming out with the buck everyone else was after... If its truly a challenge you seek, what better challenge than to put yourself against everyone else in the state? Its not the size of the kill, cause there will always be people who out spend you buying success, its about the challenge...
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 am

I agree with the others and Dan. Kinda SMH at this post. You said you moved to the Pittsburgh area? You have everything the state of PA can offer, there's so much diversity where you live and its a 4 point (3 up) antler restriction. If you want big woods, there's plenty of game lands. Also, consol energy owns big chunks of ground in Washington and Greene counties and over in the Forbes State forest the new typical state record was just killed. The biggest bucks in the state are in your backyard if you're into suburban hunting, you just need to flip over a few rocks to find areas that allow hunting. You're a stone's throw from Ohio too.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:05 am

vermonthunter16 wrote:Most of you know I grew up on the East coast, in Vermont specifically. And then the last two years I spent in Idaho, now that I am back east in PA, I have found myself looking down my nose as private land. I am having a hard time finding decent public land here, even using OnX, and I was thinking of knocking on private landowners doors, but I just don't have the ambition ti bother. I grew up hunting a smaller peice of private, and had not great experiences with tresspassing, and I have found myself really missing the vast expanses of the western states. I think this is because I found myself very alone on public out there, I got wayyyy away from the crowds and really enjoyed the process. I am having a bit of a hard time getting back into the swing of scouting back here, maybe because I think come season, it is all going to go out the door, because the public here gets hammered to no end. Have I been spoiled out west? Have I become a public land snob? I dare say so, I am just not finding the enjoyment being where I am. And that isnt good for me mentally. Hunting has always been a healing hobby. Im struggling to say the least.

Just my thoughts of the day.

Does pennsylvania have a cooperative program where the private register with the state and you can obtain their info through the dnr? When I drove through pa before I seen signs on some properties that stated they were registered with the state and allowed hunting with permission. Just a thought.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 am

I get your drift but the greatest reward is killing a buck the hard way! Embrace the challenge and persevere....
The Spirit Lives On
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 am

Look at it as an opportunity. With all the other pressure on the land, think of all the huge swath of woods you now don't need to bother with. Whatever is left, that's where the best deer will be.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:47 am

As I walked past another hunter...
"What, you are hunting a field edge? From the ground?"
"But the thermals and the wind are TOTALLY WRONG!"

My hunt will be e SOOO much better than yours. Cause I am a public land snob. :mrgreen:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:35 am

The public land snob thing has become fairly new as dan and his teachings have grown. I was talking with Tim (Northwoodswiscohunter- could he have a longer dang forum name) the other night and told him that dan made public hunting cool again.

We kinda discussed that for a while. Hope he didn't beat me out there and use it before I did. Even if he did, its true. When I moved to MI in 1990 and up until recent it was only cool to hunt private. Public was for us losers. But again, dan made public land hunting cool again.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:07 pm

In no way was I singing a SOB story, but I do agree with you guys. Its just another adjustment I need to make as I always have. It has been kind of hard lately for me to wrap my head around looking at is as a challenge and not an automatic defeat. I know success is really a mental game, I do think I will come around when the dog days of summer work their way out of here. I also need to find a dang state to just settle down in, I have moved way too much, but found my happy spot is in the west. Unfortunately realizing this after moving 30 hours back east isnt super helpful! :lol:

Because of my own personal battles since Afghanistan, so much of my happiness seems to be based on outdoor activities and the solitude that hunting brings. Its been a battle, but I am winning the war. ;)
-Rick
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:15 pm

elk yinzer wrote:You can find good little slices here but the learning curve is probably as steep as it gets. Mentally, I wouldn't get too discouraged especially this time of year. Summer is not scouting season unless you like to watch bachelor groups in fields. By the time our season starts all those bucks will be on entirely different patterns.

I think in season scouting is going to encompass all of my scouting, this year at least. Which isnt bad, it will really tell me what pieces of land actually get pounded. My job does allow me to see a ton of land in the western portion of PA, and the deer here are almost as thick as the dang ticks. A lot of does and fawns.
-Rick
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:17 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:Look at it as an opportunity. With all the other pressure on the land, think of all the huge swath of woods you now don't need to bother with. Whatever is left, that's where the best deer will be.

This is another good point that I havent really looked at.
-Rick
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:00 pm

God Speed Rick, Thank You for your service, and explore away. PA has a lot to offer.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm

PA is not the best state, but certainly not the worst. You just might be pleasantly surprised what's running around in the woods here. I have no trouble finding solitude on public land here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”