Best moon days for fall 2019

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Trout
500 Club

Re: Best moon days for fall 2019

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:28 pm

Not to derail this, but did any of you guys pay attention to Drury's deercast app last year? Did you feel it was in the ballpark? I believe it takes moon overhead/underfoot times into account in the algorithm along with weather forecasts.

I have had great hunts during moon over/under and gone out and seen zilch. That said, I will always try to be in the woods during those time periods cause I need all the help I can get :lol:

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Trout wrote:Not to derail this, but did any of you guys pay attention to Drury's deercast app last year? Did you feel it was in the ballpark? I believe it takes moon overhead/underfoot times into account in the algorithm along with weather forecasts.

I have had great hunts during moon over/under and gone out and seen zilch. That said, I will always try to be in the woods during those time periods cause I need all the help I can get :lol:

I had used the app. I honestly do not think they factor in the overhead/underfoot times. They are more weather based. I noticed every sunny, cold temp, high barometric pressure day was always "great" according to them. There were days where I paid attention to the "red moon" times and they weren't "great" odds because either the barometric pressure was low, the temp was high, or it was cloudy.

I have heard Mark Drury say it before...weather trumps moon, moon accents weather. Meaning that the moon only helps if you have the ideal weather conditions(sunny, cold, high baro, etc) but will not make any difference if the weather sucks.

Some people swear by the Red Moon regardless of weather, most do not. And I am certain that the Red Moon was not a top priority in Drury app. I believe they paid more attention to the rise and set times of the moon.

Also, do remember that their app was tested and ran by a bunch of their own hunters that hunt managed land. These trends and tendencies were based on movement in very unpressured areas.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 pm

I have the app, and I believe it's only moon rise/set feature. Drury's hunt a very different set of conditions too. Animals have no consequences until they are old and mature. Perhaps that make the app prediction better, worse, the same ...for others hunting pressured deer? I'm not sure...
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
hokiehunter373

Unread postby hokiehunter373 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:58 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:
Trout wrote:Not to derail this, but did any of you guys pay attention to Drury's deercast app last year? Did you feel it was in the ballpark? I believe it takes moon overhead/underfoot times into account in the algorithm along with weather forecasts.

I had used the app. I honestly do not think they factor in the overhead/underfoot times. They are more weather based. I noticed every sunny, cold temp, high barometric pressure day was always "great" according to them. There were days where I paid attention to the "red moon" times and they weren't "great" odds because either the barometric pressure was low, the temp was high, or it was cloudy.

I have heard Mark Drury say it before...weather trumps moon, moon accents weather. Meaning that the moon only helps if you have the ideal weather conditions(sunny, cold, high baro, etc) but will not make any difference if the weather sucks.

Some people swear by the Red Moon regardless of weather, most do not. And I am certain that the Red Moon was not a top priority in Drury app. I believe they paid more attention to the rise and set times of the moon.

Also, do remember that their app was tested and ran by a bunch of their own hunters that hunt managed land. These trends and tendencies were based on movement in very unpressured areas.

I think that nails it. Although I do believe some individual deer may be affected more I don’t think deer as a whole care that much what the moons doing. They need to eat and stay safe regardless.
Get me in the woods
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 am

I like using my iSolunar app for finding this info. The peak times are based off O/H and U/F times. I find it to be very accurate unless hunting pressure is very high or there are some unusually bad weather conditions.

C1A64182-D7BD-418C-9A67-DED3C1E15366.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dalton916

Unread postby Dalton916 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Dewey wrote:I like using my iSolunar app for finding this info. The peak times are based off O/H and U/F times. I find it to be very accurate unless hunting pressure is very high or there are some unusually bad weather conditions.

That’s the same app I use.

I started paying attention to the moon when I was growing up, I just didn’t realize that’s what I was doing at first. If we road by a field and all the cows were laying down my dad, or whichever adult I was with, would always say “well, cows are laying down....fish ain’t biting”. And just the opposite if the cows were up feeding.

Somewhere along this time (had to be a product of reading Ed Zern, lol) I discovered the solunar tables. The correlation didn’t immediately come together, but when it did it became apparent to me that cows that were free grazing and not being fed hay at the same time every day always seemed to be up in at a time that had a reasonable enough correlation to the tables. Why? What’s the correlation? What is this solunar table really based on?

So I went to reading. The moon, that’s what the tables are based on. This was good enough at the time, mystery solved. Then I heard a story about an Indian tribe in Maine that hunted deer by getting on a track and following it until they walked up on the animal, basically unable to move. Then they killed it. This method was successful because they kept the deer moving and by doing so the deer wasn’t able to complete its digestion process because it never could lay down, regurgitate and chew it’s cud. Hmmmmm, interesting.....

Now I’m putting together the fact that deer and cows have the same 4 part stomach. If cow feeding times matched with the tables why wouldn’t deer?

The fall I made this correlation I was coming home from a evening/morning draw hunt with my dad and 2 of his coworkers. It was a 4 hour drive home and we stopped about 2/3’s of the way home for an evening hunt on some public land. They were going to tap naps since it was just past noon. I was a teenager, that didn’t work for me, lol. It was just past a new moon so the tables had movement times being early afternoon so I went and climbed a tree along a honeysuckle thicket between two different age classes of trees. A transition line, but that wasn’t part of the vocabulary back then.

I’m probably way past the attention span limit and I’m tired of typing anyway so I’ll shut up, but if the discussion wants to continue I’ll gladly follow suit, lol.

I killed 2 does actively feeding. May have been coincidence, but not to me.

Fast forward a dozen or more years and I’m on a forum making trail cameras. We had just moved from film to digital cameras so now the volume of pictures was way up. I solicited trail cam pictures from anyone that would send them to me. All I asked was a general Lat/Lon and correct date and time stamps. I received thousands of pictures and graphed all the picture times and dates versus the moon overhead, underfoot and on the horizon. It wasn’t an absolute direct match, but a frequency plot showed a definite relationship.

Now folks can say whatever they want about deer behavior, but one thing is certain, they are slaves to their stomachs. Knowing this how can you not be excited about something that you feel will help you determine when they are going to feed?

Do me a favor, get the iSolunar app on your phone and when you’re riding around and you see deer feeding and you think it’s an odd time for such just take a look at the app and see what it says.

Also, don’t be persuaded to discount the moon because you hear some guy on a podcast discount the moon. Instead, listen to what they’re saying. They never relate the moon to feeding, they instead will tell you the moon has no bearing on the timing of the rut (which I fully agree with).
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:26 am

Dalton916 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I like using my iSolunar app for finding this info. The peak times are based off O/H and U/F times. I find it to be very accurate unless hunting pressure is very high or there are some unusually bad weather conditions.

I started paying attention to the moon when I was growing up, I just didn’t realize that’s what I was doing at first. If we road by a field and all the cows were laying down my dad, or whichever adult I was with, would always say “well, cows are laying down....fish ain’t biting”. And just the opposite if the cows were up feeding.

Somewhere along this time (had to be a product of reading Ed Zern, lol) I discovered the solunar tables. The correlation didn’t immediately come together, but when it did it became apparent to me that cows that were free grazing and not being fed hay at the same time every day always seemed to be up in at a time that had a reasonable enough correlation to the tables. Why? What’s the correlation? What is this solunar table really based on?

So I went to reading. The moon, that’s what the tables are based on. This was good enough at the time, mystery solved. Then I heard a story about an Indian tribe in Maine that hunted deer by getting on a track and following it until they walked up on the animal, basically unable to move. Then they killed it. This method was successful because they kept the deer moving and by doing so the deer wasn’t able to complete its digestion process because it never could lay down, regurgitate and chew it’s cud. Hmmmmm, interesting.....

Now I’m putting together the fact that deer and cows have the same 4 part stomach. If cow feeding times matched with the tables why wouldn’t deer?

The fall I made this correlation I was coming home from a evening/morning draw hunt with my dad and 2 of his coworkers. It was a 4 hour drive home and we stopped about 2/3’s of the way home for an evening hunt on some public land. They were going to tap naps since it was just past noon. I was a teenager, that didn’t work for me, lol. It was just past a new moon so the tables had movement times being early afternoon so I went and climbed a tree along a honeysuckle thicket between two different age classes of trees. A transition line, but that wasn’t part of the vocabulary back then.

I’m probably way past the attention span limit and I’m tired of typing anyway so I’ll shut up, but if the discussion wants to continue I’ll gladly follow suit, lol.

Fast forward a dozen or more years and I’m on a forum making trail cameras. We had just moved from film to digital cameras so now the volume of pictures was way up. I solicited trail cam pictures from anyone that would send them to me. All I asked was a general Lat/Lon and correct date and time stamps. I received thousands of pictures and graphed all the picture times and dates versus the moon overhead, underfoot and on the horizon. It wasn’t an absolute direct match, but a frequency plot showed a definite relationship.

Now folks can say whatever they want about deer behavior, but one thing is certain, they are slaves to their stomachs. Knowing this how can you not be excited about something that you feel will help you determine when they are going to feed?

Do me a favor, get the iSolunar app on your phone and when you’re riding around and you see deer feeding and you think it’s an odd time for such just take a look at the app and see what it says.

Also, don’t be persuaded to discount the moon because you hear some guy on a podcast discount the moon. Instead, listen to what they’re saying. They never relate the moon to feeding, they instead will tell you the moon has no bearing on the timing of the rut (which I fully agree with).

Is the scatterplot something you can/would share? I would love to see the data. And I naturally do something similar. If I see deer feeding, I always double check moon but have NOT taken time to do a direct correlation. Sounds like interesting data.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:26 am

Dalton916 wrote:

Is the scatterplot something you can/would share? I would love to see the data. And I naturally do something similar. If I see deer feeding, I always double check moon but have NOT taken time to do a direct correlation. Sounds like interesting data.
Dalton916

Unread postby Dalton916 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:29 am

That was 5 computers and over 15 years ago, but if I can find it will gladly share it.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:38 am

Dalton916 wrote:That was 5 computers and over 15 years ago, but if I can find it will gladly share it.

lol ...I understand. I'm also more interested in how the moon correlates to mature buck movement. I'd hate to put data into a spreadsheet for all deer, but we could do an experiment related to mature buck sightings or game cam photos if anyone felt froggy lol.

I've always just hoped the moon might give me that extra 5-10 minutes...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:11 am

After posting this on Wednesday I went for a ride and saw multiple deer including a doe with a fawn feeding in open alfalfa fields. My peak sightings were at about 1:45 pm-2:00 pm. I find this time of the year the moon times are especially accurate due to zero pressure. Best time of the year by far for observation and taking inventory and the peak moon times can really be a huge aid for timing your scouting trips.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:
Dalton916 wrote:That was 5 computers and over 15 years ago, but if I can find it will gladly share it.

lol ...I understand. I'm also more interested in how the moon correlates to mature buck movement. I'd hate to put data into a spreadsheet for all deer, but we could do an experiment related to mature buck sightings or game cam photos if anyone felt froggy lol.

I've always just hoped the moon might give me that extra 5-10 minutes...

Do some searching on here. There is a few good stat threads already w TC pics. I think Ridgerunner started the last one. There is also a massive moon study thread that talks about how hunting apps don't take into account overhead. It goes in depth about deer movement as well.

I dont have time to dig them up this min but i have them saved. Pm me as a reminder and ill send them to you.

Just log your data and add it to the older threads to get a better picture. Alot of big buck killers like it and i like following it too. It does not mean anything tho. For every deer sighting I see someone else doesn't. A few mornings it was OH the buck still came tru too early. Thats another discussion for me bc we can talk about bucks entering the bed in grey light more often than we have seen.

Do what works for ya. I know certain days driving home i wont see a deer and other days i will see double digits. Some days its terrible moon and weather yet ill see some. Iv had enough luck hunting by it to use it. My exp is full moons and new moons can be weird or no movement days. Which makes sense why overhead or underfoot days have been good to me.

Andrae has talked about it, Dan has, the Drurys talk about the moon, alot of people talk about using it. All a little differently. If you followed all of it the way everyone says, it would just mean be in the woods any day you feel like.

Pick your poison. But stick to what works for you. Dont force anything if youre having success.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Dewey wrote:

After posting this on Wednesday I went for a ride and saw multiple deer including a doe with a fawn feeding in open alfalfa fields. My peak sightings were at about 1:45 pm-2:00 pm. I find this time of the year the moon times are especially accurate due to zero pressure. Best time of the year by far for observation and taking inventory and the peak moon times can really be a huge aid for timing your scouting trips.

Pressure is a key factor in alot of things! I think your right and dan has said it before, you see more of the moon stuff when there is almost zero pressure.

I use US primetime i think its pretty good app
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:11 pm

ScottSpitzley wrote:Not sure where you are located, but this is based on a Michigan zip code(EST)

I don't think times zones make a huge difference, the moon is also traveling east to west and kind of moves with the sun on those peak days. Pretty sure I did test on 3-4 time zones one year and they were all pretty close. Now that doesn't mean there won't be some differences depending on where you are in your time zone but a good moon evening on the east coast is also good in the midwest last time I checked, too busy right now but I will try and post an example.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:51 pm

headgear wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:Not sure where you are located, but this is based on a Michigan zip code(EST)

I don't think times zones make a huge difference, the moon is also traveling east to west and kind of moves with the sun on those peak days. Pretty sure I did test on 3-4 time zones one year and they were all pretty close. Now that doesn't mean there won't be some differences depending on where you are in your time zone but a good moon evening on the east coast is also good in the midwest last time I checked, too busy right now but I will try and post an example.

Hmm. I am sure most states may be around the same, will not deny that. But then states compared to let's say, Arizona from Michigan will be about an hour difference. Not really saying that it's a huge difference, just simply stating the fact that the times I posted were here in MI to not confuse anyone in a different time zone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”