Best moon days for fall 2019

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Best moon days for fall 2019

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:07 am

Below are some examples, it does look like there can be an hour difference in the extremes of one time zone, see Maine to Michigan over an hour gap and a half hour gap from Madison to Lincoln. However from Maine to Madison there is only a 20 minute difference in peak times, Grand Rapids to Lincoln only a 15 minute difference and you can look at Pitt, Lincoln, Jackson & Seattle all peak moon times all in different time zones and all within 14 minutes of each other. So while I agree you absolutely need to determine the exact time of your area if you want specifics there is no reason on a 3+ hour hunt you have to worry about time zones since they are all pretty darn close, some of them very close across all 4 time zones.

Portland, Maine - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:08pm

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:49pm

Grand Rapids, Michigan - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 8:12pm

Madison, Wisconsin - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:27pm

Lincoln, Nebraska - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:57pm

Jackson Wyoming - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:55pm

Seattle, Washington - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:43pm

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:05 am

headgear wrote:Below are some examples, it does look like there can be an hour difference in the extremes of one time zone, see Maine to Michigan over an hour gap and a half hour gap from Madison to Lincoln. However from Maine to Madison there is only a 20 minute difference in peak times, Grand Rapids to Lincoln only a 15 minute difference and you can look at Pitt, Lincoln, Jackson & Seattle all peak moon times all in different time zones and all within 14 minutes of each other. So while I agree you absolutely need to determine the exact time of your area if you want specifics there is no reason on a 3+ hour hunt you have to worry about time zones since they are all pretty darn close, some of them very close across all 4 time zones.

Portland, Maine - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:08pm

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:49pm

Grand Rapids, Michigan - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 8:12pm

Madison, Wisconsin - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:27pm

Lincoln, Nebraska - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:57pm

Jackson Wyoming - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:55pm

Seattle, Washington - July 9th, 2019
Moon Overhead 7:43pm

Awesome. I still think the time is important regardless of the "red moon days". It will help hunters tay appention at that given moment. You know...help keep them off that phone or picking their nose in or around that time-frame :lol: :lol:. Granted, we should always be alert but 9 times out of 10 it is not the case for the full hunt. Good observation though!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:34 am

headgear wrote:I don't think times zones make a huge difference, the moon is also traveling east to west and kind of moves with the sun on those peak days. Pretty sure I did test on 3-4 time zones one year and they were all pretty close. Now that doesn't mean there won't be some differences depending on where you are in your time zone but a good moon evening on the east coast is also good in the midwest last time I checked, too busy right now but I will try and post an example.

x2
Dalton916

Unread postby Dalton916 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:09 am

Time is a reference we made up for.....well, reference purposes..... Download an app that allows you you to input a location and then gives you the moon positions for that location. I recommend the iSolunar app.

Since we're on the subject of time, I really wish we as a society would get pissed off enough to pull out our calculators and redefine the length of a second so that a day was truly 24hrs. Yeah, I get that there's all kinds of time based records that would then need amending, but heck that's only a conversion factor away.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 am

I was looking through pics from last year and figured id share an example. The pic means alot to me for a few reasons. Mainly bc its post-rifle season and a half moon day. This camera was down in a hub w a high traffic doe intersection.

The buck does not live on the property. I think its one I shot 2 years prior but not 100%. Iv been waiting for it to show up. This was a pleasant find in January when I pulled the cam. I also shot him on a half moon day

First Light: 6:30am
Last Light: 5:12pm

O/H: 4:50am
U/F: 5:17pm

Rise/Set: 10:39am / 11:59am

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Its interesting because I struggled to find a correlation between OH and UF moon times. What I HAVE seen a big correlation with is 2-3 days BEFORE a full moon and 2-3 Days after. And this week, saw the same thing. Right around the full moon, deer were out like crazy this week. Saw 4 bucks I was really hoping to see. Bought the moon wheel just for fun. Watched it for 4 months.

I have killed right around these same times and watch them pretty close.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:34 am

<DK> wrote:Rise/Set: 10:39am / 11:59am

I have been looking into these rise/set times, I know many people have seen some results with them and you photo speaks for itself. I havne't had much luck yet with rise/set but have seen enough evidence of them working from others that I won't be giving up on it because there is something to it.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:12 am

headgear wrote:

I have been looking into these rise/set times, I know many people have seen some results with them and you photo speaks for itself. I havne't had much luck yet with rise/set but have seen enough evidence of them working from others that I won't be giving up on it because there is something to it.

After that moon study was posted by Joe a few years back, I did a calendar of days w all the (oh/uf // rise/set times) where they matched up w prime time. It just breaks down to almost every day is a good day lol. Id have to do it again to get the swing of things but I think they were just opposite of each other. I think...

I still revert back to o/h & u/f bc it just seems when they both land together its a prime day. Especially o/h... Obviously the moon rise time I posted was pretty close to his movement time and that study did show increased movement during rise/set times. I Just think all 3 landing together creates a great mix.

This was 7 days after firearms season and they get pounded around here. Though, another factor here is the fact that its late fall, 25*, the orange army is gone and its mid morning. Just a great time to catch one moving around.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:37 am

Like you mentioned, when you can line up more than one thing it alwasy seem to be better. I don't know that any of us have a perfect formula figured out yet but we are getting there.
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:02 pm

The best moon days are the days I don’t work :D
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:07 pm

headgear wrote:

While keeping a journal everyday during the season I could definately see a influence/correlation with the moon. It is a factor and can help but not the only piece of the puzzle. Some lean on them more heavily than others and then there's the group that views it as the silver bullet. Every property is different, every animal is different, if you can put something together that gets you on one then props to you, that's what the chase is all about. Like alot of others have said, i like those great moon days when they line up with other great deer movement factors like a cold front, close to the prerut/rut or a late season hunt over a great food source where pressure has subsided. Either way I'm with you though and do believe the moon has an influence. Just wondering what other factors was in favor of the buck moving in the photo along with the moon?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”