From the Northeast to the Midwest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

From the Northeast to the Midwest

Unread postby SidewayZ » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:25 pm

Has anyone from the northeast hunted the midwest? If so, what were the differences in hunting you found?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
NDH

Re: From the Northeast to the Midwest

Unread postby NDH » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:47 am

I've done this, just in reverse. Grew up in southern Ohio and moved to eastern MA about 10 years ago. If you can find and kill deer in the Northeast, you can definitely kill them in the midwest.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:24 am

I'm from MA and hunted northern Maine and the Adirondaks most of my life.
We now hunt Ohio every year and have been to Colorado, Montana, Michigan, Kentucky and Kansas.
I feel like NDH says that we are better hunters out west due to our NE challenges.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:37 am

I didn't hunt at the time I lived in MA, but I think you can be successful for sure.

The biggest difference could be terrain, depending on where you hunt now and where you plan to go. Big woods and hills, you'd probably feel right at home. Marsh and farms might be a big change.

What kind of terrain do you hunt now?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:00 am

See more deer in one day than I see in a week's full of hunting. Not necessarily easier to get on nice bucks, there's just more of them.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:30 am

wickedbruiser wrote:See more deer in one day than I see in a week's full of hunting. Not necessarily easier to get on nice bucks, there's just more of them.

I have no experience in the northeast but as stated above I've heard multiple times that if you are successful hunter in the NE then the midwest will not be a problem if you do a little bit of homework just due to numbers of older bucks
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:40 pm

greenhorndave wrote:I didn't hunt at the time I lived in MA, but I think you can be successful for sure.

The biggest difference could be terrain, depending on where you hunt now and where you plan to go. Big woods and hills, you'd probably feel right at home. Marsh and farms might be a big change.

I hunt some swamps, big woods and small suburban woods. Both public and private. But in most cases out side of the swamps it's all rolling hills type of terrain. Even our farms are rolling hills. I have some bluffy hill/mountain type of terrain but haven't hunted that type where there is a distinct bluff.

Just trying to get some info for my Wisconsin trip this fall. First week of November I am looking at hunting Dell Creek Wildlife area and may be going east the hills at the Devlis Hills public piece. Looking at aerials I see there seems to be much more distinct changes in vegetation and woods than what I am used to seeing here in Mass, Conn. And New Jersey.

The few people I know that have hunted both say it different but I never got why it was different.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:04 pm

SidewayZ wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:I didn't hunt at the time I lived in MA, but I think you can be successful for sure.

I hunt some swamps, big woods and small suburban woods. Both public and private. But in most cases out side of the swamps it's all rolling hills type of terrain. Even our farms are rolling hills. I have some bluffy hill/mountain type of terrain but haven't hunted that type where there is a distinct bluff.

Just trying to get some info for my Wisconsin trip this fall. First week of November I am looking at hunting Dell Creek Wildlife area and may be going east the hills at the Devlis Hills public piece. Looking at aerials I see there seems to be much more distinct changes in vegetation and woods than what I am used to seeing here in Mass, Conn. And New Jersey.

The few people I know that have hunted both say it different but I never got why it was different.

I took a super quick look at the area. Definitely a lot more “edgy” with nearby ag fields. Look at those hard edges. Didn’t look on a topo, but it’s probably got a little hill country too.

Some good stuff in this thread on farms and some hills, which you’re probably used to. Combine the two and it’s probably pretty indicative of the Dell Creek area.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”