What Makes A Bad Hunter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

What Makes A Bad Hunter

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 am

In your experience, what makes a hunter least effective? This post isn’t meant to offend or make fun of anyone. My hope is that we can raise some flags on bad habits or tactics that we need to remedy.

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What Makes A Bad Hunter

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 am

I wouldn't go as far as calling them bad hunters, but one bad trait I see in hunters is they grow to the point of good and then get stagnant. Once they get better than the hunters around them in there area they think they know everything and shut out new ideas, tactics, or fresh thoughts and justify people doing better as being in better areas or having better circumstances. While there can be some truth to that, the stopping growth and locking yourself in a box of one dimensional hunting along with justifying failure rather than taking the approach of always striving to improve is an issue I see often.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:15 am

dan wrote:I wouldn't go as far as calling them bad hunters, but one bad trait I see in hunters is they grow to the point of good and then get stagnant. Once they get better than the hunters around them in there area they think they know everything and shut out new ideas, tactics, or fresh thoughts and justify people doing better as being in better areas or having better circumstances. While there can be some truth to that, the stopping growth and locking yourself in a box of one dimensional hunting along with justifying failure rather than taking the approach of always striving to improve is an issue I see often.

Agree. Harry Truman said, “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.”
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:26 am

Bad Habits with hunters.

Over pressuring. This could be constantly going into a bucks core area or even checking trail cameras too often. Pressuring deer too often and tipping them off isn't exactly a good way to surprise a buck you are after.

Too much gear. I have fallen into this trap before but I'm getting better. Sometimes hunters will take too much gear with them. In the early season it's funny how a person will bring a pack with everything they own like it's going to help them. As Dan has said before, you're not going camping....you're not going on a picnic....you're going hunting.

Not practicing/prepping your gear on the off season. Some people are the type who don't touch their gear until a week before opener. They haven't shot their bow in a year, they haven't practiced with their setups, or haven't even looked over their setups to ensure they are safe.

Smart phones/distractions. When we are in the woods we need to stay attentive an tune in to our surroundings. The world around us is full of distractions. In the woods we can put those behind us, but with technology it's easy to bring the world into the tree stand.

Not scouting enough. When I was growing up my family did very little scouting. Each family member had his or her area to hunt by default. This was in hopes that something would simply just walk by. Nothing else other than thinking it looked like a good area to hunt or we've been successful there before. Most hunters scout but I'm sure there are some that have the same tree stand year after year and don't evolve with their areas.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:55 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Bad Habits with hunters.

Over pressuring. This could be constantly going into a bucks core area or even checking trail cameras too often. Pressuring deer too often and tipping them off isn't exactly a good way to surprise a buck you are after.

Too much gear. I have fallen into this trap before but I'm getting better. Sometimes hunters will take too much gear with them. In the early season it's funny how a person will bring a pack with everything they own like it's going to help them. As Dan has said before, you're not going camping....you're not going on a picnic....you're going hunting.

Not practicing/prepping your gear on the off season. Some people are the type who don't touch their gear until a week before opener. They haven't shot their bow in a year, they haven't practiced with their setups, or haven't even looked over their setups to ensure they are safe.

Smart phones/distractions. When we are in the woods we need to stay attentive an tune in to our surroundings. The world around us is full of distractions. In the woods we can put those behind us, but with technology it's easy to bring the world into the tree stand.

Not scouting enough. When I was growing up my family did very little scouting. Each family member had his or her area to hunt by default. This was in hopes that something would simply just walk by. Nothing else other than thinking it looked like a good area to hunt or we've been successful there before. Most hunters scout but I'm sure there are some that have the same tree stand year after year and don't evolve with their areas.

These are all great. Sadly, I have been guilty of most of them. I still am guilty of packing too much gear in with me, but I am improving. I look through the list and my hunting mentors of my Dad and Grandpa didn't do me any favors, and it really shows that they both each only have 1 real wall hanger buck over their careers. We routinely sighted our guns in the week before season, often times just one round to confirm we are still on. Hunted the same ridges all season, with seemingly no concern for sign or why we sat there that I can tell other than they had seen deer there before. Some of the spots were good, but we weren't always hunting them at the optimal time that I would now. Not paying attention to wind for picking our stand locations, always using the same access regardless of wind.

I am happy to say I have figured out most of these issues, some of them even before I found the Hunting Beast. I think I have turned the corner and became a much better hunter, but I still need to cap it off by connecting with a big, mature buck.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:57 am

Stubbornness and lack of ability to learn
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:15 am

Someone who can’t tell the difference between what’s important and what isn’t.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 am

I've never understood why in hunting it's looked at as a sport anyone of the street can be good at. IMO that's just not the case. Hunting is a instinct and some just don't have it and never will. Some can't sit still, some don't even have the coordination to shoot a bow, some lose there mind in pressured situations, some panicky that there gonna get lost, some scared to go alone, some guys u can walk to a tree and say he will be right there at 5 and they will find a way to booger it up, some u can say only hunt this spot with a north wind and they will be out there the next day when it's straight south. Some believe they can read a mag article and go from zero to hero with no other effort. Some can't handle failure the list goes on....

I can't think of anything else in life where it's a given that anybody can be good. Can a guy who's god awful with talking to people be good at a sales job? Can everyone become a doctor or a lawyer? How bout A great shot with a weapon cause they practice? A singer? Can a guy with no rythym be great playing the drums? In my opinion NO. No matter how hard one tries there's certain things that don't line up with a individuals skill set. Doesnt mean they can't have a blast doing it, or they won't ever improve.
Personal example of this is serval years ago I got a wild hair to carve wood. I always enjoyed whittling but didn't no what I was doing. Took several classes, I still couldn't get it down though I still found it fun. Instructor suggested me for one on one lessons with a master wood carver. After the 2nd lesson he gave me my money back and said son u just ain't got it.

So I guess my answer would be lack of God given talent prob is the #1 reason for a bad Hunter in my experience. Some see a forest, some see trees and some just see a cornucopia of stuff that makes absolutely no sense. Much like my work carving lol. But I still enjoy sitting on the porch with knife in hand. But have zero expectations of anyone in there right mind calling my hack jobs good work. I don't believe it's because I have to many woodworking tools or if I only buy this high dollar knife i would suddenly be the envy of the carving community or I need to whittle somewhere different to broaden my horizons or need a better knife. Nope, I just plain stink and no book or teaching is gonna get me to the level of good. So I adapt and make my own toothpicks ha!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:52 am

Southern Buck wrote:Someone who can’t tell the difference between what’s important and what isn’t.

I like that.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:02 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I've never understood why in hunting it's looked at as a sport anyone of the street can be good at. IMO that's just not the case. Hunting is a instinct and some just don't have it and never will. Some can't sit still, some don't even have the coordination to shoot a bow, some lose there mind in pressured situations, some panicky that there gonna get lost, some scared to go alone, some guys u can walk to a tree and say he will be right there at 5 and they will find a way to booger it up, some u can say only hunt this spot with a north wind and they will be out there the next day when it's straight south. Some believe they can read a mag article and go from zero to hero with no other effort. Some can't handle failure the list goes on....

I can't think of anything else in life where it's a given that anybody can be good. Can a guy who's god awful with talking to people be good at a sales job? Can everyone become a doctor or a lawyer? How bout A great shot with a weapon cause they practice? A singer? Can a guy with no rythym be great playing the drums? In my opinion NO. No matter how hard one tries there's certain things that don't line up with a individuals skill set. Doesnt mean they can't have a blast doing it, or they won't ever improve.
Personal example of this is serval years ago I got a wild hair to carve wood. I always enjoyed whittling but didn't no what I was doing. Took several classes, I still couldn't get it down though I still found it fun. Instructor suggested me for one on one lessons with a master wood carver. After the 2nd lesson he gave me my money back and said son u just ain't got it.

So I guess my answer would be lack of God given talent prob is the #1 reason for a bad Hunter in my experience. Some see a forest, some see trees and some just see a cornucopia of stuff that makes absolutely no sense. Much like my work carving lol. But I still enjoy sitting on the porch with knife in hand. But have zero expectations of anyone in there right mind calling my hack jobs good work. I don't believe it's because I have to many woodworking tools or if I only buy this high dollar knife i would suddenly be the envy of the carving community or I need to whittle somewhere different to broaden my horizons or need a better knife. Nope, I just plain stink and no book or teaching is gonna get me to the level of good. So I adapt and make my own toothpicks ha!

Idk agree and disagree. You can buy good hunts and kill P&Y about every year. Most states allow crossbows now. You can't buy a 90 mph fastball or 300 yard drive. Sometimes I think we make hunting out to be a good chunk harder than it really is. You put the time in, you let the woods be your teacher, stay dedicated, keep your definition of success in perspective and it's not that hard. Most of the "bad hunters" I see are significantly lacking in dedication; going through the motions and would rather be back at camp drinking beer, or riding around in their truck/atv, or watching football, etc etc.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 am

IMO - EGOs =#1 factor that can turn a good hunter into "bad" hunter; there are a truck load of factors that can make someone an "ineffective" hunter - especially if they do not learn to adapt.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:13 am

Bad is way too subjective for there to be a real answer.

Most of the guys that are bad using only success rate on mature bucks as a measure, probably just don't care enough to be good and hunting to them isn't what it is to other guys. Does that really make them bad, or just different?

I think in most cases when guys really care and want to be better, they are really just more inexperienced than bad. I kind of side with EY that with a little gumption (or money) just about anyone can become a pretty good hunter. Just about time, priority, and desire. If you don't make it a priority, have the time, or the desire, I still don't think that makes you bad, you've just made different choices. That said, you can certainly be a bad shot, or bad at sitting till, or bad at reading sign I suppose, but practice should fix that if you want to fix it.

There are certainly folks who just have a natural knack for it, but not sure bad is how I would describe an unsuccessful hunter.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:33 am

IDK what makes a bad hunter, but I know one when I see one.... Usually staring back at me in the mirror. At least that's how it feels some days.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:52 am

Hunting is a personal recreation. Being bad or good is subjective to ones personal goals. I would say there are experienced and inexperienced hunters. I would say there are ethical and slob hunters.

Look at how many "good hunters" that have promoted themselves as great hunters. They may have had a show or made videos and then they are caught poaching or breaking a law and they have went to the wayside.

Then there is the guy that sneaks out a few times a year and fills his freezer and goes back to work the next day.

Hard to define good or bad.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:00 am

Kraftd wrote:Bad is way too subjective for there to be a real answer.

Most of the guys that are bad using only success rate on mature bucks as a measure, probably just don't care enough to be good and hunting to them isn't what it is to other guys. Does that really make them bad, or just different?

I think in most cases when guys really care and want to be better, they are really just more inexperienced than bad. I kind of side with EY that with a little gumption (or money) just about anyone can become a pretty good hunter. Just about time, priority, and desire. If you don't make it a priority, have the time, or the desire, I still don't think that makes you bad, you've just made different choices. That said, you can certainly be a bad shot, or bad at sitting till, or bad at reading sign I suppose, but practice should fix that if you want to fix it.

There are certainly folks who just have a natural knack for it, but not sure bad is how I would describe an unsuccessful hunter.

I hear ya. Well said.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”