Reading creek bottoms

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEOHBB

Reading creek bottoms

Unread postby SEOHBB » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:22 am

I'm interested in applying some creek bottom techniques from the midwest to my Arizona river bottom system down on the US and Mexico border. I have roughly 30 miles of river bottom that gets limited bow pressure during the rut come December and january during the otc rut hunts. Last year I hunted the mouth of a river branch attaching to the main river system and wounded a booner level coues buck, saw several other trophy class bucks.

This year I'd like to apply some midwest strategy and see if i can maybe bring the two species of whitetail to a common ground and beat the learning curve for the coues deer. Does anyone have any terrain related setups or curves in a river system they pinpoint? Any visual examples? What do you guys look at in the Mw when selecting river or creek bottom setups. There are small rolling hills which attach to the river system with roughly 100 to 200 feet elevation changes and then a gradual terrain elevation increase. The trails leading into the river systems appear to be where the bedding likely takes place as morning deer movements come from the hills to water.

Moderate pressure where I hunt, this year I saw no other hunters during four rut hunts. Deer behavior is actually quite similar but i am used to Ohio hills which is not really applicable. The guys out here shoot at 500 to 1000 yards with rifles. I found this past year I can get close to these bucks with archery equipment and would like to try some Mw tactics as a potential out west approach.

Thanks in advance. Give me a shouting anyone is interested in chasing these little guys

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Reading creek bottoms

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Check out the HB podcast. Listen to the episode with Stanley.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Reading creek bottoms

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Sorry, double post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”