Dominant Doe Families

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Daven

Dominant Doe Families

Unread postby Daven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 pm

I found a thick remote bedding area on a ridge top in a good size peice of hill county in February while scouting. I set a cam up on a well used trail in and out of area.

I just checked the cam and over 400 pics of mostly mature does all during the day, up and downhill at all times. Funny thing is many were singles, some were the same does in and out same time of day. Only a few families. Last week 2 fawns.

3 picks of good bucks, one at noon, one at 330 pm and the other 430pm all moving up, limited velvet shows much promise. It is nice to see the change in foliage over the last couple months, trail was completely hidden now.

Only one pic was taken at night and that deer was moving fast.

Are these deer getting up out of lower bedding areas and moving up and down certain times during the day?

How big is a "big" bedding area?

Thanks for any insight.
Dave

Daven

Re: Dominant Doe Families

Unread postby Daven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Second part are dominant doe families single groups of loosely interconnected mature does and does with yearlings?

Or will you see a family or two that hang together and are established in best bedding and food sources.

Do deer have dominant doe groups and subordinate doe families? What are the dynamics between each?

What makes a doe family dominant over another group?

Thanks.
Dave
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 am

Grrrrrrr I hate those matriarch does. As if a buck ain't smart enough as it is then they got an extra set of eyes with them around. Them old girls can sure booger things up fast for yah. My goal last year had turned into shooting one of these after she screwed me all up on a 150"!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 am

Grrrrrrr I hate those matriarch does. As if a buck ain't smart enough as it is then they got an extra set of eyes with them around. Them old girls can sure booger things up fast for yah. My goal last year had turned into shooting one of these after she screwed me all up on a 150"!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Daven

Unread postby Daven » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:30 am

Checked pics again against weather, does and especially the bucks moved within the bedding area during the days where wind majorly switched up.

Maybe that why I am seeing so many singles.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”