Packing deer out in cooler?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Packing deer out in cooler?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:57 am

I'm new to packing a deer out in cooler doesn't look that hard.

How many of you guys pack a deer out in a ice chest?
This seems easier then dragging the entire deer solo out of some areas. I saw they did this with Predator Tcs buck last year in Minnesota.

My question would be how do you pack out the head you intend to taxidermy cut through the body where front legs are located? Sawzaw or Hand Bonesaw?

What size ice chest?
I imagine if I left my yeti cooler attached to kyak it would walk away pretty quick lol.

Any tips for packing a deer out is appreciated it's something I'm new too learning.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Packing deer out in cooler?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:55 am

After reading my states rules and regulations apparently hunters cant quarter a deer. Why????? With the hot summer weather seems like it would keep meat fresher plus be easier for the hunter.

Wonder if I can saw deer in half and take it out in 2 pieces?

Funny watching a 150 pound guy drag a 300 pound Deer out of a swamp I guess. Alot of my areas meat might spoil by time I get it to the truck.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:23 am

I don't really get why you'd need a cooler or how that would be effective in packing it from the kill site. In reasonable temps you have quite a long time to get the meat chilled. Just getting the hide off and bringing the meat down to ambient temps quickly, you have hours after that to get it into cold storage. I guess in hot Southern temps having a cooler in the car might not be a bad idea, I don't know.

As far as processing in the field, I use what has come to be known as the gutless method. It's pretty slick. There are tons of youtube vids you can look up, but basically you skin the deer on the ground one half at a time and remove the quarters, loins, neck meat, ribs, etc. It's great because it's all clean and you don't have to touch any guts until the end you reach in and get the tenderloins and any organs you want. Some people will further debone the quarters in the field, but I prefer not to do that. Get some decent reusable game bags and you are set. You can break down an entire animal with a pen knife, no need for any saws.

As for shoulder mounts, you'd need to learn to at least partially cape at least up the mid neck. Then you can pack out the head and cape.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:39 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I'm new to packing a deer out in cooler doesn't look that hard.

This seems easier then dragging the entire deer solo out of some areas. I saw they did this with Predator Tcs buck last year in Minnesota.

My question would be how do you pack out the head you intend to taxidermy cut through the body where front legs are located? Sawzaw or Hand Bonesaw?

What size ice chest?
I imagine if I left my yeti cooler attached to kyak it would walk away pretty quick lol.

Any tips for packing a deer out is appreciated it's something I'm new too learning.

I do believe joe, dan, and hunting public guys quartered and put the meat in bags and packed it out on a frame pack. I think!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:00 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:I'm new to packing a deer out in cooler doesn't look that hard.

What size ice chest?

I do believe joe, dan, and hunting public guys quartered and put the meat in bags and packed it out on a frame pack. I think!

That would be the easiest. I would hate to think the pain it would be to haul a deer out in an ice chest. Would likely be just as much work as pulling an entire deer out on a sled.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:25 am

Hunting from a kyak deep downriver in 90 degree temps I would think the deer would spoil if not kept cool?

Hard to say but I can't imagine getting a buck out within 3 hours in 90 degree heat. Our bow seasons are in the 80s -90s.

My last buck took like 7 hours but it was like in the 45 degree range.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:28 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:

What size ice chest?

Yes they did but they still took it out in pieces.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:38 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Hunting from a kyak deep downriver in 90 degree temps I would think the deer would spoil if not kept cool?

Hard to say but I can't imagine getting a buck out within 3 hours of death.

My last buck took like 7 hours but it was like in the 45 degree range.

I should have read closer. I see you want to haul it down the river in a cooler by kayak. I thought you meant carrying a cooler from the kill site to your vehicle by foot. :oops:

Unfortunately your restricted to whatever the law allows you to do. If you can’t skin and quarter then you have to make your own decision how deep you can hunt if it’s really hot out. Some guys say they worry about it when they get one down but I don’t like to think that way. Taking care to not lose ANY meat is my highest priority. Have a plan ahead of time and stick to it. If you get the deer gutted immediately in hot weather and cool the body cavity down quickly you would be surprised how long you can go before spoilage starts. If anything I would bring a small cooler along in the kayak with ice in it if your really concerned about real warm temps. Shove it in the body cavity and between the hind quarters and you will be good to go.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:48 am

Tennessee Hunt Guide page 30 wrote:Field Dressing Big Game: Evidence of species or sex of big game
animals must not be destroyed prior to checking in and/or while
the animal is afield. Normal field dressing, quartering and icing
down of the meat is permitted. .

You can quarter, you just must maintain evidence of species and sex.

And maybe to state the obvious, but to use a cooler, you do have to have ice to get it to cool. That will double the weight of the pack out.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Lu Rome wrote:
Tennessee Hunt Guide page 30 wrote:Field Dressing Big Game: Evidence of species or sex of big game
animals must not be destroyed prior to checking in and/or while
the animal is afield. Normal field dressing, quartering and icing
down of the meat is permitted. .

You can quarter, you just must maintain evidence of species and sex.

And maybe to state the obvious, but to use a cooler, you do have to have ice to get it to cool. That will double the weight of the pack out.

The weight of the ice would only be in the kyak ,I would try to drag it to the kyak then put in cooler. I don't have a motor and several of my planned spots are several miles downriver.

I saw while the animal is afield it couldn't be removed as I needed to keep it attached to the animal.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:49 pm

A frame pack IMO makes more sense than a cooler.

I haven't personally done it....yet. But I'm prepared to.

It'll be easier to get it back to the kayak. Then throw it on the kayak and get back to the truck. If you have a long drive home, maybe a cooler in the truck and grab ice.

I bought a SlumberJack rail hauler designed just for packing meat.

Last year I shot a mature buck about 3/4 of a mile from the truck. Alone. Someone was watching out for me....out of nowhere, 3 strangers appeared. Long story short, it still took us like 3 hours to get out. I honestly don't know that I could have done it alone. I have a roll up sled...after 1/4mi I went and got it and dropped my bow and stand..it helped but wasn't enough. 2 of us dragging was still brutal. I also carry a cart in the truck now for when it's feasible.

That was my "eye opener". Now, I'm prepared to get em out regardless of where I am.

Like someone else mentioned, if you aren't comfortable quartering in the field, you can probably cut one in half between the ribs and rear quarters...can do that with your pocket knife. Make 2 trips and you're out of there. If I am deep or have a rough hike, I plan to "leave" as much as I can...every pound will help. Hide, feet/bottom of legs etc all add up quick. Depending on your state regs.

As far as if you wanna mount it, I consulted with my taxidermist already. He sent me diagrams on where to cut bear and deer. Basically on a deer you'll make cuts up the back of the leg from the "knee" through the back of the armpits...cut the hide from where you hit the rib cage when gutting and skin up to the head...leave the head entact and let the taxi do that...easier to do than to type.

Solo drags aren't fun. Sometimes impossible.. I've gotten myself into a few "situations" but I typically have help. I've had a number of solo drags but only once was it a struggle and like I said, last year I was in for trouble but help found me.

Funny how Eastern guys look at you nuts for thinking of anything but dragging. I see guys in the NE like Maine and the Adirondacks etc dragging deer several miles. That's insane even with help lol.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:47 am

I would call your game agency and ask for interpretation of the law for cutting up in the woods. Sometimes these laws sound more complicated than they really are.

Gutless method is easiest and what I do with every deer even within sight of my truck. As far as a mount just skin up from shoulders around the neck pulling hide up as you go. Detach head from neck with all the hide attached to head.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:53 am

I keep a frame pack in my truck all season just in case I kill one in a place where it would be nearly impossible to drag out. In my opinion, there is no reason to drag a deer out over a mile, when you can just pack it out. (Where legal obviously).
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:20 am

I do not hunt in that type of weather, nor where it is hot, when it comes to whitetails. I have done it thru the years, out west, with some incredible temperatures. So lets start there, as crazy as it seems, meat is meat, and we have passed up on elk, due to the temps, and knowing there were some areas, we could not get one out safely, due to the heat. same goes for antelope.... and I would say the same goes for deer...…

That being said, I have cut up deer here in Wis and the UP, simply because as a solo hunter, it was just easier for me, to handle. Easier to get on my game cart ( built our own, for our own specs), and no way am I dragging. For a quick trip, I will field dress quickly, lop off the legs at the joints, and cut in half. What I do is I use a Havalon, for a long time. at the last ribe, I cut up in between and make a careful cut, over the back bone ( and cut that clean down, so my back straps are cut clean, only once), and back down the other side. Now I simply take my small hatchet from Knives of Alaska, and one stroke, I have cut the back bone.

Now I simply am handling 2 pieces. I can pick up and load on cart, or in my boat, whatever. This works well, when I am not too far back in. However one day I shot a 200 pound plus buck in the UP, which is not uncommon in the area, for big body not big rack, but it was nice. I simply built a huge fire, had tea, and stayed the night, too big of a deer, to muscle with, without light,,,, ha ha

When I have the time, more so in the rut, I will go gutless. I am in no rush, and really enjoy working on my deer, in the woods. I put my meat in bags, cheese cloth, or game bags, , and take out what I can. I have a Saddle Mule pack, (you can google that), great for taking out or handling anything. I also have hung deer meat in the bags, and cached it in the woods, using para cord, to keep off predators.

My second trips or so, do not take that much time. In wolf country, they are very shy, and maybe watching,. but take a lot of time, before they come in and commit. However the dam coyotes will literally be on that meat, as soon as your gone, and have lost some meat to them, reason I carry a 22 pistol.....

There is a lot of good video, on gutless method, pretty simple, so I will not go into that. I can tell you I do an entire deer, with my simple Havalon…….

Here is a tip. for any extended period, due not lay meat on top of meat, have enough bags..... as for bags, I use to have the expensive game bags of Alaska, they are not cheap, but they can be reused and clean up nice. But I also just pay a dollar or so, in the off season at Wal Mart, for the cheap Allen Game Bags, and than I throw them out...…….

Again this is done, in some remote areas, and I am solo..... As an older man now, I can get some help if needed by the young guys, which is always nice, but I still like to work on my game meat on a table, instead of hanging one in the shed on the gambrel...…..

in 2013 I was stopped by wardens, when we were still tagging and going to in station registration, in Wisconsin, since my buck was cut in half in the truck. They asked "Where are the legs?" I failed to read in the regs, that the legs must also come out. So know your regs. Wardens gave me a verbal warning, and congrats on the buck...……

A cooler in the canoe, no needed. throw in the game bags and go...……. Not easy to hunt in that heat..... Good luck, I hope I added something to your post
jwangle13

Unread postby jwangle13 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:39 pm

The most important thing during warm temperatures is to keep your deer out of the sun. Even in hots temps a deer can be fine several hours later. Also very important is to gut the deer quickly. This reduced temperature drastically.

As far as the cooler method. I am in NC so our temps are usually too warm to hang deer until about mid November. I have like a big 150 coleman cooler less than $50. I quarter up the deer placing each hind quarter in a garbage bag, both from quarters in a single bag, and then all the extra stuff and backstrap in another bag. The I get about 40 lbs of ice. It is important to keep your meat directly off the ice. Also if you put it in the ice and let it sit in water you will quickly have gray tasteless meat (ask me how I know). Another tip is to put the open end of the back out of the lid and close it. I usually leave them in there 2 or 3 days. I also have a garage fridge that I have sometimes bagged up the deer and stored them in there for several days. Make sure you cover the deer and dont let it be exposed to the air or the outside layer will dry out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”