Going in blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwangle13

Going in blind

Unread postby jwangle13 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:32 am

I know we talk about scent control for good reason. Let's say you walk into a new area with a stand on your back and are scouting for a spot that evening. I know we talk about staying off deer trails but if you scout to a point and decide that an area you just came from looks better would you say you just lessened your chances of success? In theory, the deer would have to walk where you walked in order to get to you. Hopefully this question makes sense. If not I will post an aerial example of an area I dont plan to hunt but I am just looking for thoughts.

jwangle13

Re: Going in blind

Unread postby jwangle13 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:39 am

Ok here is an example. Say I accessed this spot from the river. I scout a good looking trail with deer sign to the NW and cross 2 intersecting deer trails. Would it ever be appropriate to back track and hunt near the purple dot because it looked better than what you found later or would you consider everything up to that point to be burned?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Going in blind

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:13 am

Sure. Be careful where you walk knowing you May have to back track. Mentally take note of possible trees and don’t walk where you can’t shoot. Within reason, it’s not a perfect world, sometimes things get messy. Backtracking is never ideal but you have to play the hand you’re dealt. During rut I wouldn’t really worry too much.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”