No Crops from the rain. Now what ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whi52873

Re: No Crops from the rain. Now what ?

Unread postby whi52873 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 am

Unfortunately, I've never had the privilege of hunting crop/ag fields. The public land I hunt is in an area where the soil is too rocky which results in a large amount of cattle.

As many have said, I rely on natural browse which in my area is acorns, sapling buds/leaves, and several shrubs (i.e. honeysuckle, jewelweed, honey locust) to name a few. My advice would be as your doing your scouting, look for fresh droppings/browsing as this should tell you what the deer in your area are eating currently. The deer will adapt to having no corn this year meaning you will to. Hope this helps and good luck this season!

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:02 am

What I think the OP will find is that preferred bedding may move until the rut kicks in. It really depends on how reliant the deer was on ag fields. But I assure you the bucks will be keyed into the food that is available and it just means if you can find a good draw (isolated oak, apple, persimmon, etc.) that si going to be a gold mine in heavy ag areas - probably more so than most years as the competition will be greater and the mature bucks just might risk a little earlier travel to it. BTW - this is the typical scenario in cattle country every year. Find concentrated poop/big tracks over a preferred natural source and you might just have a better hunt than you think.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:23 am

DaveT1963 wrote:What I think the OP will find is that preferred bedding may move until the rut kicks in. It really depends on how reliant the deer was on ag fields. But I assure you the bucks will be keyed into the food that is available and it just means if you can find a good draw (isolated oak, apple, persimmon, etc.) that si going to be a gold mine in heavy ag areas - probably more so than most years as the competition will be greater and the mature bucks just might risk a little earlier travel to it. BTW - this is the typical scenario in cattle country every year. Find concentrated poop/big tracks over a preferred natural source and you might just have a better hunt than you think.

Thanks for the replies. I would like to kinda get off topic. So its summer now and I thought this was not a great time to get out and explore ? Please correct me if I am wrong. I know for sure I dont want to get in and around the bedding areas. We have a big thicket thats all bedding and the timber around it. Would it be ok to explore that now and see what they are eating ? I know we had 100 tree removed this past winter and the tops left. I would think they would be eating on them too
_Splinter_

Unread postby _Splinter_ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:11 am

There is always cover crops and late beans which are ideal after other beans turn yellow.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:23 am

we have cover crops planted. Will see how it goes. I'm up for the challenge tho
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:28 am

The deer will adapt, the hunters should follow.
Livesintrees

Unread postby Livesintrees » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:15 pm

A buck spends most of his daylight hours in and around his bedding area. He may move a short distance every few hours which I found is driven by changes in wind direction. What I’m getting at is, crops or no crops, a mature animal is browsing on what is within the confines of his “safe zone”.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:01 pm

headgear wrote:The deer will adapt, the hunters should follow.

Indeed.

I think Stanley had the best summation I’ve seen. Something to the effect of, “Deer like to do two things: hide and eat.”

Just gotta figure out what and where, no matter what set of circumstances.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”