Cwd management.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Cwd management.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:25 pm

Tennessee several days ago came out with its Cwd zone regulations for 2019. After reading it several times I do not understand what the heck they are doing.

They are putting a muzzleloader 3 day hunt in August and are increasing buck and doe harvest opening muzzleloader and gun seasons early. All deer killed with cwd you get a new tag.

Looking at how they are handling Cwd it makes absolutely no since to me. If the herd is already dying of cwd why do they want hunters to make deer in cwd county's extinct?

If cwd gets into the soil it will stay here, killing every deer isn't going to get rid of it.

Why do States think the only way to cure cwd is to kill the entire population? Wouldn't the herd build up a immunity to it? After all northern states have had cwd for 20 years and they still have a stable deer herd.

With the early muzzleloader season won't the shots and hunters being in the woods completely destroy the Archery harvest? All deer will be on edge and pushed back into thick cover?

They are saying mature bucks are 3 more times likely to have cwd. And should be targeted.

How could this be possible since the older a buck gets, the more his home range shrinks?

Are my state wildlife officials nuts?

Sorry to vent about this it just makes no since to me.
What do you guys think about this?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Cwd management.

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:54 pm

Bucks are more likely to have CWD, but reducing to population won't stop it. CWD has been in Western states for at least 60 years
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:12 am

Have you guys in Cwd zones seen deer numbers rebound several years after?

Our population is already low in some areas it's quite a concern.

This is the first time we have had cwd in our state theirs alot of talk about it everywhere.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:34 am

I can't speak for TN, but in MO the MDC has no clue what to do. So they do something, even if it ends up being wrong. Therefore, much of what they do makes no sense. :o
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Your title of your thread makes me smile a little. CWD management seems like an oxymoron since it seems like a disease that cannot be managed.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:58 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Your title of your thread makes me smile a little. CWD management seems like an oxymoron since it seems like a disease that cannot be managed.

Our Twra calls it Cwd management zone.

I only used the title they used in our hunting regulations.

Though I agree their idea of management is creating a whitetail extermination program.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:16 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Your title of your thread makes me smile a little. CWD management seems like an oxymoron since it seems like a disease that cannot be managed.

Our Twra calls it Cwd management zone.

I only used the title they used in our hunting regulations.

Though I agree their idea of management is creating a whitetail extermination program.

It seems that extermination is the only tactic they use. It seems really simple as far as managing.

"Hey there is disease in this zone, lets kill all the deer and get rid of it." Application is much different than theory though.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 am

In MN they're not saying kill all the deer to get rid of it, they are saying reduce populations to slow the spread while they try and figure out what to do next. I assume your state is taking the same approach. They're trying to buy some time
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:20 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:In MN they're not saying kill all the deer to get rid of it, they are saying reduce populations to slow the spread while they try and figure out what to do next. I assume your state is taking the same approach. They're trying to buy some time

WI has been trying for 18 years now and they still haven't figured out what to do next. CWD can't be eradicated no matter what the experts say. Even if we killed all the deer the prion still survives in the soil.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:40 am

Be glad you're not from central PA where this past winter we had USDA sharp shooters hired by the PGC going door to door asking to kill as many deer as they could on each property in this 100 sq mile CWD "area". I feel like no state has handled it worse than PA. Hunters were ready to rage war this past winter with the PGC over that stunt... The farms that actually allowed the shooting were protested upon for several days straight while it went on. Sickening...
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:45 am

Dewey wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:In MN they're not saying kill all the deer to get rid of it, they are saying reduce populations to slow the spread while they try and figure out what to do next. I assume your state is taking the same approach. They're trying to buy some time

WI has been trying for 18 years now and they still haven't figured out what to do next. CWD can't be eradicated no matter what the experts say. Even if we killed all the deer the prion still survives in the soil.

I'm with ya (and i'm definitely no expert), its an issue that may never be solved and I don't know what the best route for state agencies is to take honestly... just wanted to give Tennhunter some context on what his DNR is likely doing.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:40 am

I love Ted Nugents rant on CWD, on a podcast I listened too,,,, it was hilarious

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”