How Fast Can You Hang Your Stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: How Fast Can You Hang Your Stand?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Doing it fast sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Hate to see somebody get hurt trying to prove they are faster than the next guy.

3 sticks with a moveable aider while wearing my saddle I could easily be ready to hunt in a little over 5 minutes but that’s not realistic in a hunting situation. Normally takes me at least 20 minutes with every movement slow and deliberate.

Wisdom

Wisdom = OLD!
Dave you are wise as well... :lol:

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am

greenhorndave wrote:
funderburk wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:
Dewey wrote:Doing it fast sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Hate to see somebody get hurt trying to prove they are faster than the next guy.

Yes sir, couldn't agree more! Like I said all in good fun, just curious how long other guys take to get set up, and what their system is to be so efficient.

I average somewhere between 15-20 minutes, like greenhorndave, I try to avoid sweating. I wear glasses so it sucks to spend the first 5 minutes or so unfogging them if I got overheated. I dont know if I shaved a lot of time off setting up from the beginning of last season to the end, but my body got a lot better at handling it. Me and my beer belly go way back. :lol: This year I'd like to be to that point before the season starts. I'd also like to get down to the 10 minute range, without making a sound or moving around like I'm in a race. I think that all comes down to having an efficient system, would love to see what other guys system is and maybe pick up a pointer or two to incorporate into my own.

I recall looking around for videos a while back. Dan had a decent old one, as did Garrett (DIY Sportsman) and a couple other guys. All variations on a theme, but worth digging on YouTube to see what aspects of some of the videos resonate with you.

I’ve always wanted to see Dan’s method of climbing stealth! Is that video still online?

Yeah, go to his videos in his YouTube channel and it’s a relatively early one.

Goldmine. Thanks, bud!
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed May 22, 2019 1:35 pm

7 minutes. I’ve timed myself a few times. One trip up, first two sticks strapped to the tree from ground level, stand on back with two more sticks attached, and up with a rope tied to pack and bow/ gun. However, if I want or need to be silent it takes more like 10-12 minutes for me personally.
Persistence is undefeated.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Thu May 23, 2019 11:23 pm

It may be trout season but here in the UP, high water, streams will not be ready for another 2 weeks,,, ha ha,,,,, my stick and stand set up is 10 minutes
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Fri May 24, 2019 4:12 am

Depends a lot on how quiet I need to be and how high I'm getting. I usually arrive with plenty of time to walk the last 100 yds and set up as quiet as possible. It's not a race I'd rather take 45 min to set up unnoticed than 10 min and make a slight metallic noise. I also check wind and analyze the potential set up. it may take 10 to 20 min to even pick the exact tree too.

I can set up in as little as 10 min with 5 sticks and stand fairly quiet but 20 min is more practical for most sets. With some maybe even 30 min. On other sets I might be 5 min with a 2 stick set. Lots of variations but stealth is key nothing else really matters if you allow enough time when you arrive.

So from the last 100 yards to full set up might be an hour.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri May 24, 2019 4:19 am

Speed means nothing if you aren’t quiet.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri May 24, 2019 2:59 pm

2 minutes for me. I use a summit climbing stand. A similar thread was posted a couple years ago. I see a few post saying it's not a race. During the work week it is a race for me. I get out of work at 4. As the season moves along time becomes an issue.

It takes 17 minutes to get to my closest hunting area from work. My trip into the stand site can take anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes. A 20 minute set up time isn't going to work for me later in the season when I may only have an hour of daylight to work with. Even in the early season it is a struggle if I extend the drive and hike in.

I have my stand silenced and am very quiet with it. I have a system I have been doing for years and could set the stand with my eyes closed. I am sure it's the same for the guys that use the sticks and stand as their main stand. It's all about your system.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri May 24, 2019 3:27 pm

All of my time is in ground setup, getting everything laid out and ready to go. Once I have my rock climbing harness on, I start setting my primal steps. The adjustable buckle makes them a breeze to get set, maybe 15 to 20 seconds if I have to cam it more than once.
My knaider attached to my leg effortlessly gets me up to setting the next step. My final step gets the platform inserted, slip my tether around the tree and sit back in my fleece... It's really got to be around 5 minutes... And that's going slow.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:45 pm

Not really sure for me. I'm prob faster in warm weather on a evening hunt where I can see and don't worry about sweating. Cold weather mornings in the dark anticipating deer close by prob takes me 20-30min.

But can tell u this.... On a stand I know I am not coming back to with my stomach growling I can make it down in a hurry! Throwing stuff all the way down and high stepping out of there by the shortest route possible.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
But can tell u this.... On a stand I know I am not coming back to with my stomach growling I can make it down in a hurry! Throwing stuff all the way down and high stepping out of there by the shortest route possible.

:lol:
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue May 28, 2019 2:38 pm

No problem with getting your time down, but if you make a noise or fast movement it doesn't count. Best to slow way down then do slow fast.........if that makes any sense.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed May 29, 2019 12:43 am

Depends on the tree. A straight poplar will take me around 8-10 minutes, where as a curvy oak, with lots of limbs, (the kind I try to be in), can take upwards of 30 minutes.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed May 29, 2019 3:48 am

I have not read all the comments, but I did see Dewey's and I could not agree more. The goal is to get up as quiet as you can and without being detected regardless of how many sticks you are using and what platform your hanging. If it takes you 25 minutes to get up nice and slow without being seen and get up safely, then give yourself an extra 25 minutes.

It's not a race. Get up safe and quiet, that is the ultimate goal.

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”