Dropping thermals and drainages

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Dropping thermals and drainages

Unread postby The Silence » Mon May 20, 2019 9:18 am

What have you guys noticed that thermals do coming down from slight to moderately sloping hills that end up in a drainage below with banks 3-5 feet tall? The drainage would have hills on both sides. If I was set up on one side of the drainage (in the the evening when the thermals kick in) would my scent flow down into the drainage without flowing onto the side?

Jdw

Re: Dropping thermals and drainages

Unread postby Jdw » Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 am

You can count on thermals to be more dependable than the wind but there are a lot of variables that influence them. The wind, temperature, humidity and I suspect barometric pressure make a difference as well as the terrain and foliage.
I think the more gradual the hills the more variables you are likely to experience.
I would check the area by using milkweed to see what is going on in the spot your hunting either before you hunt or check the wind as you slowly work your way into the spot.
Keep in mind the falling thermals won’t kick in until later in the afternoon so you will need to go in late or access in a way that keeps you from getting busted on the way in or before it gets to be prime time.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon May 20, 2019 1:45 pm

I use this technique with mountain stream. If the water is still quite cool it will suck scent later in the morning than other areas.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Wed May 22, 2019 12:10 am

The Silence wrote:What have you guys noticed that thermals do coming down from slight to moderately sloping hills that end up in a drainage below with banks 3-5 feet tall? The drainage would have hills on both sides. If I was set up on one side of the drainage (in the the evening when the thermals kick in) would my scent flow down into the drainage without flowing onto the side?

I’m wondering the same thing. I found a spot during turkey season with the same set up that I’m fairly certain is holding a good buck.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed May 22, 2019 3:22 am

When the thermals start dropping, you can count on your scent flowing with what terrain is below you granted the wind isn’t crazy at closing. If there is water flowing in the drainage, it will amplify this effect. Milkweed is your best friend.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Wed May 22, 2019 4:08 am

I'm assuming the coolest air will be down in the bottom of the drainage. Great idea to go in there off season and actually see what's happening with milkweed. It will be interesting to see if the air continues to flow downhill once it goes down into the ditch since the drainage itself is descending.

Return to “Deer Hunting”