Saddle hunting height.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Saddle hunting height.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:07 pm

I been playing around with my sitdrag I'm noticing that 2 beast sticks aiders my feet are 14 head height is 20 this feels fine.
Bow shot would be around 19 feet .

When I go 3 sticks aiders my feet are at 18 head 24. So my bowshot would be 23 feet or so. This feels really high in tree.

Is bowshot angle a huge issue here at 23 feet?

How high do you guys saddle bowhunt?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dewey

Re: Saddle hunting height.

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Depends on the cover and the expected distance of the shot. With 3 sticks and a moveable aider I’m right around 20 feet. Never felt the need to be higher except in hill country. Sometimes I use two sticks and other times I might only use one. I don’t like steep angle shots so try to avoid setting up for them. If your 23 feet up and the trail you expect the deer to come down is 5 yards away obviously that isn’t ideal wether your in a saddle or a stand.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:48 pm

Dewey wrote:Depends on the cover and the expected distance of the shot. With 3 sticks and a moveable aider I’m right around 20 feet. Never felt the need to be higher except in hill country. Sometimes I use two sticks and other times I might only use one. I don’t like steep angle shots so try to avoid setting up for them. If your 23 feet up and the trail you expect the deer to come down is 5 yards away obviously that isn’t ideal wether your in a saddle or a stand.

Thanks Dewey.
2 sticks is lighter and might be better in most of my early season spots.

I was concerned about the shot angle witha bow.
Some trails come by at 10 yards some out to 40 yards in my setups. Saddle hunting is definitely something I'm still getting used too. The hunting height feels higher in a saddle then treestand.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:36 pm

With my 4 mini sticks i get to about 16 feet to the platform. Alot of my sets im less than 10ft, it just depends what the situation calls for.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Mon May 20, 2019 11:34 pm

Completely depends on the situation. I've killed bucks setup anywhere from 8'-40+'. I really like setups where I am around 18' with good cover. I feel like I can get away with anything and still have a pretty good shot angle.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 am

I don't think there's any difference in height from hunting out of a saddle or a stand. That said, I do feel like I can comfortably hunt a lot lower out of a saddle than I could a climber due to being able to hunt in cover and use the backside of the tree.

I've hunted with my feet anywhere from 5' - 25' with the saddle. Coincidentally, best buck of my life came from a saddle with my feet at 5'.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 am

thwack16 wrote:I don't think there's any difference in height from hunting out of a saddle or a stand. That said, I do feel like I can comfortably hunt a lot lower out of a saddle than I could a climber due to being able to hunt in cover and use the backside of the tree.

I've hunted with my feet anywhere from 5' - 25' with the saddle. Coincidentally, best buck of my life came from a saddle with my feet at 5'.

Hunts like that are so cool! I killed one on a "bump N dump" hunt 8' high. He came in while I was setting up and bedded back down 24 yards away facing me and I'm 8' high :lol: Talk about not moving a muscle! He stood up and I ran an arrow through him. He had no clue I was there!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:21 am

flinginairos wrote:Completely depends on the situation. I've killed bucks setup anywhere from 8'-40+'. I really like setups where I am around 18' with good cover. I feel like I can get away with anything and still have a pretty good shot angle.

Feel you can get away with anything!
#Fire crotch Fidler #Lucky Charms :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue May 21, 2019 11:38 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
flinginairos wrote:Completely depends on the situation. I've killed bucks setup anywhere from 8'-40+'. I really like setups where I am around 18' with good cover. I feel like I can get away with anything and still have a pretty good shot angle.

Feel you can get away with anything!
#Fire crotch Fidler #Lucky Charms :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”