Think You Are a Beast?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
HunterBob
500 Club
Posts: 811
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline

Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu May 09, 2019 4:49 am

Check out these guys before you answer that question

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o


User avatar
wolverinebuckman
500 Club
Posts: 2138
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:55 am
Location: SE Kentucky
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu May 09, 2019 5:06 am

:shock:
Ok, first off... If you can get a pair of Reebok's out in the desert, get yourself a bow and some arrows, man! :? Or at least a sharp spear point.

It's something else, for sure. Attrition... Canines have used it quite well. I think if I was hungry, I'd start to come up with a less physically exerting way to gather food, sometime over the last few thousand years. :think:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
User avatar
BackCoverBowHunter
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:33 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 am

wolverinebuckman wrote::shock:
Ok, first off... If you can get a pair of Reebok's out in the desert, get yourself a bow and some arrows, man! :? Or at least a sharp spear point.

It's something else, for sure. Attrition... Canines have used it quite well. I think if I was hungry, I'd start to come up with a less physically exerting way to gather food, sometime over the last few thousand years. :think:

I agree but they just sent the runner! I am not sure if I would want to be the runner or one of the draggers.. :lol: :lol: :think:
A Tough Hunt, Makes A Great Story
Keep On Grinding
User avatar
HunterBob
500 Club
Posts: 811
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu May 09, 2019 5:56 am

wolverinebuckman wrote::shock:
Ok, first off... If you can get a pair of Reebok's out in the desert, get yourself a bow and some arrows, man! :? Or at least a sharp spear point.

It's something else, for sure. Attrition... Canines have used it quite well. I think if I was hungry, I'd start to come up with a less physically exerting way to gather food, sometime over the last few thousand years. :think:


Haha, I was thinking the same thing about the spear. Looked like he got about two inches of penetration! Still a pretty amazing way to hunt though, getting into the mind of the animal. I would like to do this more.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 31965
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 09, 2019 7:10 am

The original run and gun except with a spear. 8-)

Thats why I chase big bucks. They carry big heavy horns so they tire faster. ;)

Reminds me of a hunt about 35 years ago. I shot at a buck from the ground and flat out missed him. Being young and dumb I decided that wasn’t the end of my hunt so I nocked another arrow, jumped out of my ground blind and sprinted after him. I actually caught up with him as he started to slow down when he suddenly looked back and saw this lunatic chasing him through the woods. His eyes about bugged out of his head scared for his life and he then kicked in the afterburners leaving me in his dust. Last I ever saw of that little buck. He’s probably still running. :lol:
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 7996
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 am

That’s insane!! Thanks for sharing.

I’m going to have to start rubbing buck saliva on my but cheeks so I can sit longer and more comfortably.
User avatar
Hawthorne
500 Club
Posts: 5337
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:13 pm
Location: michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu May 09, 2019 10:11 am

Pretty amazing 8hr chase. Why those guys usually are marathon champions. I remember reading one of the Benoit’s talking about frustrating and tiring a buck down tracking.He gets them with a rifle tho
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 am

Dewey wrote:The original run and gun except with a spear. 8-)

Thats why I chase big bucks. They carry big heavy horns so they tire faster. ;)

Reminds me of a hunt about 35 years ago. I shot at a buck from the ground and flat out missed him. Being young and dumb I decided that wasn’t the end of my hunt so I nocked another arrow, jumped out of my ground blind and sprinted after him. I actually caught up with him as he started to slow down when he suddenly looked back and saw this lunatic chasing him through the woods. His eyes about bugged out of his head scared for his life and he then kicked in the afterburners leaving me in his dust. Last I ever saw of that little buck. He’s probably still running. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 am

That was exceptional Bob. Thanks for sharing.

That is the ultimate in old-school kills. I also liked the appreciation and respect he had for the animal.

Impressive.
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
User avatar
Dpierce72
500 Club
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 pm
Location: Arkansas (NEA)
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am

Awesome post - I read about that tribe in a book called Born to Run and it goes into some depth about that style of hunting. I've never seen a video about them, however. It's a pretty cool read ...target audience is ultra runners, but it uses these guys to explain some science.

Word of caution: It made me feel like a total loser, however. :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden- ... way&sr=8-1
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
User avatar
funderburk
500 Club
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:16 am
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby funderburk » Thu May 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Lockdown wrote:That’s insane!! Thanks for sharing.

I’m going to have to start rubbing buck saliva on my but cheeks so I can sit longer and more comfortably.


HA!
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
User avatar
hunter_mike
Moderator
Posts: 7653
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:24 pm
Location: south central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri May 10, 2019 12:44 am

Wow. I am surprised that muddy hasn't tried this yet :D I could see him getting it done
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
User avatar
BackCoverBowHunter
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:33 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri May 10, 2019 12:50 am

Lockdown wrote:That’s insane!! Thanks for sharing.

I’m going to have to start rubbing buck saliva on my but cheeksso I can sit longer and more comfortably.

It puts the lotion in the badlands pack.... :lol:
A Tough Hunt, Makes A Great Story
Keep On Grinding
User avatar
HunterBob
500 Club
Posts: 811
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri May 10, 2019 1:36 am

greenhorndave wrote:That was exceptional Bob. Thanks for sharing.

That is the ultimate in old-school kills. I also liked the appreciation and respect he had for the animal.

Impressive.


I think that was my favorite part. I have a little routine that I do when I find the animal as I think respecting what we kill is a big part of the experience.
User avatar
HunterBob
500 Club
Posts: 811
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline

Re: Think You Are a Beast?

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri May 10, 2019 1:36 am

Lockdown wrote:That’s insane!! Thanks for sharing.

I’m going to have to start rubbing buck saliva on my but cheeks so I can sit longer and more comfortably.


Haha, add this as a tip to the sitting still thread! Whatever works!


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests