Rubber Boots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Scratchman

Rubber Boots

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon May 06, 2019 1:12 am

Looking for a new pair of rubber boots. I think I may get the Lacrosse burly. Light insulation, pretty much all season 18" boot. Does anyone have experience with these? Trying to keep them sub 100.00 (the 4 kids need boots too). I had the muck wetlands which were ok, but they wore out pretty quick. Anyone have any thoughts?

"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
TripleOG

Re: Rubber Boots

Unread postby TripleOG » Mon May 06, 2019 1:31 am

Have these exact boots and got them for the same reason. Not a ton of insulation so I can wear them year round. Love them. Would buy them again. They are very comfortable and if you store them correctly and don’t leave them out in the elements they’ll last you plenty long. Mine are a year old and when they are cleaned up you can’t tell they’ve been used.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon May 06, 2019 5:45 am

TripleOG wrote:Have these exact boots and got them for the same reason. Not a ton of insulation so I can wear them year round. Love them. Would buy them again. They are very comfortable and if you store them correctly and don’t leave them out in the elements they’ll last you plenty long. Mine are a year old and when they are cleaned up you can’t tell they’ve been used.

Thank you. That helps.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Mon May 06, 2019 9:30 am

I had a pair of Lacrosse Aeroheads. They were advertised, to go 4000 miles,,,,,, I wore them out in 2 years. now to be fair, I wear them a lot, but here is the problem I have with these boots.... as your foot goes in and out, it simply shreds the inside neoprene, on the back side,,,, I mean it wears out fast. the fit was great, and it was good support, and great bottom, but again, the inside material simply fell apart, after hard use...…… last year I saw a pair at scheels for 69 in the spring, I should have grabbed them, for that price, I would buy another pair, but no way would I pay 169 that they are asking for them now...…

did not take long for these boots to leak and collapse
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am

I get a new pair of rubber boots every two years if I need them or not. I've been through quite a few. When the aeorohead boot first came out they were pretty decent. The current version of them is not as robust. Before the aerohead they had the alpha lite, those were really nice. Seems like they get cheaper and more chinsy all the time, while the price is getting more rediculous.

The muck Boots were not as good as the lacrosse for me, the tread sucked and they tore up pretty quickly. I haven't tried the newer ones, I may get another pair. I never tried the alpha burley either, I always thought they were made more for cold weather.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon May 06, 2019 2:59 pm

I abuse boots. I used to go through several pairs of rubber boots in a season, tried all the brands.

I am now on my 4th season with these cheap lightweight rubber boots:

https://www.amazon.com/Servus-Chemical- ... 8697&psc=1
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cuttiebrownbo

Unread postby cuttiebrownbo » Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 pm

My only problem with cheap rubber boots is that they don’t provide the foot support I need for the distance and terrain that I hunt.

For rubbers I tend to stick to lacrosse alpha burlys but I only wear them if I am hunting swamp or during wet conditions now. I stick with Irish Setter Elk trackers for most of my hunting since they are comfortable, provide good support and can handle rocky terrain while carrying 30-40lbs.

Rubber boots also hold moisture so a boot dryer is a must if you are hunting multiple days or your feet will be wet and cold very quickly.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue May 07, 2019 11:52 am

cuttiebrownbo wrote:My only problem with cheap rubber boots is that they don’t provide the foot support I need for the distance and terrain that I hunt.

For rubbers I tend to stick to lacrosse alpha burlys but I only wear them if I am hunting swamp or during wet conditions now. I stick with Irish Setter Elk trackers for most of my hunting since they are comfortable, provide good support and can handle rocky terrain while carrying 30-40lbs.

Rubber boots also hold moisture so a boot dryer is a must if you are hunting multiple days or your feet will be wet and cold very quickly.

Great point on the dryer.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Best rubber boots I've owned is Tingley Airgos Newer edition black they are incredibly light. Fit a wide foot well. A pair weighs less then 1 boot from another company I think a pair is 1 pound 7 ounces.

They run about 50. 00 and hold up very well for the money.

I think they are the best rubber boots at any price point.

I wear snake boots most of the time but late season hunting it's always Airgos.

I've had Lacrosse Alpha Burley, and Magellin previously.

The classic airgos are not as comfortable or as wide as the newer edition so if your looking at getting some be sure to get the newer edition.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 pm

I've been wearing Burlys since their inception. I try to get two seasons of hunting from a pair, then used them for chore boots. That's not as easy to do as when they were made in WI, but they still work well for my application. If they make it 2 seasons the soles are wore smooth. But thats after many miles of walking in all kinds of conditions. Burly's are taller than most rubber boots, so I can go more places without getting wet before I pull out the waders. Those couple of extra inches add up in a hurry. The tight ankle fit helps when wearing Burlys in hilly terrain, similar to what we have here in MO. They aren't too hot for my feet, even in early season (Sept. 15th opener) under most conditions. I can wear them for extended stays on stand down to around 20*. Much colder and out come the boot blankets and/or heater body suit. If you do happen to poke a hole in them, Aquaseal works like a charm. They are pretty tough until they become oxidized. Since they have been made in China, they oxidize much sooner than they used to. Usually they develop cracks after 3 or 4 years. The release agent (?) or some other strong odor accompanies the boots until they air out, but truthfully, I've never noticed a difference in the boot causing me to be winded. There have been a lot of boots come and go since LaCrosse came out with the Burly. But they keep selling a lot of them for a reason. I will probably keep wearing them as long as they continue to make them. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :D
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue May 07, 2019 10:06 pm

hambone wrote:I've been wearing Burlys since their inception. I try to get two seasons of hunting from a pair, then used them for chore boots. That's not as easy to do as when they were made in WI, but they still work well for my application. If they make it 2 seasons the soles are wore smooth. But thats after many miles of walking in all kinds of conditions. Burly's are taller than most rubber boots, so I can go more places without getting wet before I pull out the waders. Those couple of extra inches add up in a hurry. The tight ankle fit helps when wearing Burlys in hilly terrain, similar to what we have here in MO. They aren't too hot for my feet, even in early season (Sept. 15th opener) under most conditions. I can wear them for extended stays on stand down to around 20*. Much colder and out come the boot blankets and/or heater body suit. If you do happen to poke a hole in them, Aquaseal works like a charm. They are pretty tough until they become oxidized. Since they have been made in China, they oxidize much sooner than they used to. Usually they develop cracks after 3 or 4 years. The release agent (?) or some other strong odor accompanies the boots until they air out, but truthfully, I've never noticed a difference in the boot causing me to be winded. There have been a lot of boots come and go since LaCrosse came out with the Burly. But they keep selling a lot of them for a reason. I will probably keep wearing them as long as they continue to make them. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :D

Thanks. I ended up pulling the trigger on them. 2 years is good enough for me.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 am

I love mine. I have had them for 5 seasons now. The camo is just about worn off the top & sides they are mostly camo'd in mudd and blood. I leave them outside 75% of the year too. They are solid.

On a side note, here in PA I wear them all year. I have a pair of those artic boot covers that holds the heat after you walk. I slip them on over my boots and they have not done me wrong yet. keep my feet off my treestand and block wind, keep snow off the rubber part of the boot. just another thought. Two seasons ago it was -15 degrees on our last day of archery and I was out for 4 hours when I shot my buck. So, I will swear by them covers only being in my lightweight boots.
Extreme Effort Only
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 am

I have 2 pairs of lacrosse aeroheads that I got under $100 brand new each. Well worth the money and have yet to have them fail me. The inside heel does wear out as mentioned but nothing I'm really concerned with, and could honestly just stick a piece of felt on it if I wanted.

For uninsulated, the green servus boots are awesome. Wear them for stuff around the house, doing concrete stuff, anything I wouldn't wear my aeroheads for and still want dry (somewhat) feet. Think they are only $30-40. Really nice boots for the money. Have had the same pair for probably 5-6 years and wear them a time or two every month, all year long.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Wed May 08, 2019 2:07 pm

jonny tell me where you bought yours, because I have not seen a pair under 169.00 thanks in advance
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed May 08, 2019 2:11 pm

tundra wrote:jonny tell me where you bought yours, because I have not seen a pair under 169.00 thanks in advance

One was eBay and the other was a loggers equipment site that had discontinued them from their store. I think I looked for 2-3 weeks before I found them under that price. I was going to jump on the scheels sale and get 2 more pairs to set me up for a long time but they didn’t have size 15’s.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”