Sitting still

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Sitting still

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon May 06, 2019 1:58 am

My go to set up for ground hunting works pretty good. A five gallon bucket with a cushion swivel top. By having a swivel, you can plant your feet and pivot your upper body slowly and stealthy.
Picture the opposite of those worthless 'bag' chairs companies are marketing to sheeple.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
cuttiebrownbo

Unread postby cuttiebrownbo » Mon May 06, 2019 3:09 am

I guess I am lazy. I can sit in my stand for hours without feeling the need to stand and my outerlayer always is a hoody so I just put my hands in the pouch and I can go without visible movements.

If I stand I just fidget and shift my weight from one leg to the other. I always keep my face covered though and scan slowly as well.

When on the ground I just make sure to have a comfortable tree to lean up against. I have shot multiple deer from the ground just by walking up on them as well. I think as long as the movement is slow and wind is correct you can get away with more movement than you would think.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 am

When I am on stand, I tend to sit for a half hour, and then stand for a half hour and then back to sitting, keeps me from getting to fidgety
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon May 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Jonny wrote:I’m a pretty twitchy or I guess a wired person. I just wear a hoody or a hand muff and put my hands inside and keep them moving. I make more jerky movements when I focus on not moving so why fight it. Just control it to one thing.

Wear black gloves as well. White hands stand out so obnoxiously. If your hands aren’t white, well then you don’t need to worry about it. But I can’t fight my twitchyness. I just confine it to one thing and cover it and control it. Works for me.

Haha, I like this. I think I have actually done this before without thinking about what I was doing
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon May 06, 2019 12:51 pm

llcooljames wrote:When I am on stand, I tend to sit for a half hour, and then stand for a half hour and then back to sitting, keeps me from getting to fidgety

Ya, that is my routine as well. It helps, but am still wondering if that movement could be costly
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Mon May 06, 2019 2:14 pm

I have decided to respond to this post, and explain how to sit still. I am very good at it, and regardless of what you have read so far I can assure you, that I can sit for hours and not move,,, I have shot a lot of bucks. Maybe not in the class of Dan, but I have shot a lot of bucks,... I believe in being a true Predator......

As we have followed the Eberhardt post, a guy I truly respect, and have met,,, I will discuss how I have become a true predator, and why it has led to my success ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My explanation will get quite lengthy, but I truly believe I have something positive to add, to our younger hunters, coming from a whole new generation

My life cycle this week might be shorter than I think,so I might as well add, what I think could help other hunters,,,,,,, If you do not want to follow, than just move on but what I have to say, comes from the heart

next week when my daughter gets home I hope to learn how to post photos.....most guys and gals do not want to hear from us old guys, but I have some tips,
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 pm

tundra wrote:I have decided to respond to this post, and explain how to sit still. I am very good at it, and regardless of what you have read so far I can assure you, that I can sit for hours and not move,,, I have shot a lot of bucks. Maybe not in the class of Dan, but I have shot a lot of bucks,... I believe in being a true Predator......

As we have followed the Eberhardt post, a guy I truly respect, and have met,,, I will discuss how I have become a true predator, and why it has led to my success ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My explanation will get quite lengthy, but I truly believe I have something positive to add, to our younger hunters, coming from a whole new generation

My life cycle this week might be shorter than I think,so I might as well add, what I think could help other hunters,,,,,,, If you do not want to follow, than just move on but what I have to say, comes from the heart

next week when my daughter gets home I hope to learn how to post photos.....most guys and gals do not want to hear from us old guys, but I have some tips,

I’d be more than happy to help you with posting pictures. We could sort it out in a few minutes on the phone.

And while I’m no spring chicken myself, I absolutely want to hear from you.

We’re all on this site because Dan has been gracious enough to share his voluminous experience. And if memory serves me correct, you have a decade or two more experience than even he does. I, for one, would have a ton to learn from you Tundra, and I’m looking forward to hearing more.

PS - I’m serious about the picture thing, PM me and I can call you and walk you through it.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue May 07, 2019 12:36 am

tundra wrote:I have decided to respond to this post, and explain how to sit still. I am very good at it, and regardless of what you have read so far I can assure you, that I can sit for hours and not move,,, I have shot a lot of bucks. Maybe not in the class of Dan, but I have shot a lot of bucks,... I believe in being a true Predator......

Awesome, I look forward to learning from your experience. I so appreciate this site, which has already revolutionized the way I hunt. I have had to self-learn when it comes to hunting, as I do not have a father who passed down this information and do not have a hunting mentor. I stumbled into hunting and have loved it, but have had a hard time learning how until I came to this site. Appreciate all of you who continue mentoring through this site, I can't say how much this has helped me and allowed me to enjoy the wonderful world of the outdoors.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 am

I call it the tree stand trance. You are thinking about nothing completely relaxed but all your senses are on high alert. It takes confidence to be in that zone and some experience. Magicman talks about it while tracking so it works for tracking not just sitting. I look forward to it
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue May 07, 2019 6:31 am

I find the hunts I sit the stillest are the hunts where I bring the least amount of stuff with me. Less reasons to have to move around.
Extreme Effort Only
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue May 07, 2019 6:39 am

Tufrthnails wrote:
I agree. Certain setups allow for more movement then others. But I stood completely still in the middle of a two track waiting for a buddy to meet and had a spike walk by me within 3 yards and not alert until the moment he stepped downwind and he instantly turned inside out. To the point for a second I thought I was about to be in some serious close quarters combat

Did the same thing.
When the spike right beside me I said BOO!.
Laughed my but off...
That sucker saw a ghost!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 07, 2019 7:02 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:
I agree. Certain setups allow for more movement then others. But I stood completely still in the middle of a two track waiting for a buddy to meet and had a spike walk by me within 3 yards and not alert until the moment he stepped downwind and he instantly turned inside out. To the point for a second I thought I was about to be in some serious close quarters combat

Did the same thing.
Laughed my but off...
That sucker saw a ghost!

Reminds me of this video. :lol:
https://youtu.be/7Y50PY4v6Sc
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 am

Dewey wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:

Did the same thing.
Laughed my but off...
That sucker saw a ghost!

Hahaha! That is awesome.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 07, 2019 8:02 am

Dewey wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:

Did the same thing.
Laughed my but off...
That sucker saw a ghost!

That's a classic. Amazing. Scared the bejabbers out of that deer.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Wed May 08, 2019 4:25 am

As I posted before, I would like to get into this....... I think I am very intense on this, as others are on scent control, camo etc,,,,,, being still, and lessening the movement, is what will seal the deal.

First of all, when your out in the field, take the time to watch a hawk. I mean really watch one... that body does not move, his eyes move, and very very slightly does that head move...... when he comes down on prey, they never know he is there...... If you hunt like a hawk, you will learn to be a predator, just like the hawk......

Does not matter if your on the ground, or in a tree......................

I believe that sitting still, is a mental process.... Most of you have busy lives, jobs, families lots of distractions.... sitting still is a learned skill, and one most should practice at, as they get ready to tree stand hunt......

Try this, for those of you who can not sit still..... When you do your short hunts, before or after work, etc carry only what you need... Your bow, arrows, and a knife,,,, that's it...... do not carry a pack or anything that will cause a distraction, eating drinking water reading a book etc.... leave all that junk at home,,,,,, just sit and listen,,,,,, even if its only an hour, start to build your skill level.... start to learn how to free your mind, and to listen to the wind and subtle noise of the woods etc......

I also practice Yoga and Tai Chi, and work out on a daily basis, as long as it does not interfere with my hunting,,,,,, Physical exercise on a regular and serious regime, will change your body, and you must have that body in tune, just like your bow......

A good clean diet, is another part of getting you mentally right, try to eliminate as much sugar as you can,,, you will be surprised how the body, will let you sit longer, and without movement,,,,, it all will come together.......

I did not learn this overnight, but from the service to my career in life, I was trained for hours of non movement, or slow slow movement, to accomplish certain tasks and assignments.......

If your an over anxious type of person, learn to teach yourself to slow down, at even the smallest, tasks, and you will teach your mind to slow down.....

Easy to say, and hard to do, for many today I understand, but UNPLUG....... take breaks away from that phone,,,,,,,, I bet a lot of hunters, have missed opportunity, because of that item alone,,,,,,, I see no need for one, but we are all different, while we hunt........

Hunters spend a ton of time scouting, and putting together their set ups,,,,, they get on stand, in good spots at the right time, but than see no deer and questioned why? Maybe, the deer were there, but they saw your unnecessary movement etc,,,, Movement kills more hunts

I am not that good of a hunter, compared to many of my friends, but what I am good at, is sitting still.... I can stay motionless for hours, in the woods, and it is what gave me more shot opportunity, than any lure, or scent regime or piece of equipment.....

Speaking of movement, another item is the bow. My opinion is if you can not pull that bow back, in one slow movement, either on the ground or in the tree, your pulling too much, and creating more movement, that should not be there. when using my stands, I sit a lot so I practice the shot, from sitting, I never spring up quick, been there done that, and it as cost me.......

standing for hours is tough, that is where physical shape comes in, besides the right boot etc,

I have gone so far, as video a guy I had on one of my stands, who complained about no deer,,,, I showed him, how he moved all day, he was shocked, he thought, he was quite slow when doing so, till he saw that film.......

just something I wanted to add to the forum and post,,,,,, I apologize if I was a little long winded...... now this old guy is going turkey hunting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”