Best approach

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

218er
500 Club

Best approach

Unread postby 218er » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:18 pm

I found a series of 5-6 beds om a fairly remote island at the northern tip in a batch of dog wood surrounded by swamp. I had previously found two sets of doe beds further south but was very excited to find a believed buck bed based on the buck sign on this parcel. There are literally 100’s of rubs I’d come across in the mile walk to this spot with one in ten being waist high. It is about a mile either way from two separate access points. I came in from the south on this voyage. To the south and north are 1000’s of acres a ag land. Mostly corn and soybeans. The public parcel i’m hunting is about 3k acres. I’ve hunted it for a year, I haven’t ever bumped into a deer hunter, but I have seen deer just about every time i’ve been there. Once I found the beds I specifically searched out the best tree for a stand. There were a few prospects 70 yards away and then I locked on to a tree 30 yards directly south of the beds. Way to close, but wouldn’t you know there was a stand set right there. (Could be a beast member if so pm, I ain’t mad at you) I examined it and based on the make model it could have been there for up to three years. Here’s my basic question and quest for advice. The predominant September wind is out of the south which makes me think this is likely/ possibly a gun stand. It would be a killer with a north wind. Which is the norm in November, rifle season. The sign near the stand and beds makes me think this stand is rarely hunted. What are the chances that this stand is set for the trails that cross by it rather than the beds, it just too close. If a buck were where the bed sign suggests an individual climbing the stand would absolutely jump the deer on their way in. Since winds out of the south are most common earlier in the season i’m planning on coming in from the north and looking at some other possible bedding spots to the north anyways but here’s my question. Given the proper wind would you hunt this spot anyways? Is I possible deer don’t view the stand as a threat?

Persistence is undefeated.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Best approach

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 13, 2019 5:08 am

218er wrote:I found a series of 5-6 beds om a fairly remote island at the northern tip in a batch of dog wood surrounded by swamp. I had previously found two sets of doe beds further south but was very excited to find a believed buck bed based on the buck sign on this parcel. There are literally 100’s of rubs I’d come across in the mile walk to this spot with one in ten being waist high. It is about a mile either way from two separate access points. I came in from the south on this voyage. To the south and north are 1000’s of acres a ag land. Mostly corn and soybeans. The public parcel i’m hunting is about 3k acres. I’ve hunted it for a year, I haven’t ever bumped into a deer hunter, but I have seen deer just about every time i’ve been there. Once I found the beds I specifically searched out the best tree for a stand. There were a few prospects 70 yards away and then I locked on to a tree 30 yards directly south of the beds. Way to close, but wouldn’t you know there was a stand set right there. (Could be a beast member if so pm, I ain’t mad at you) I examined it and based on the make model it could have been there for up to three years. Here’s my basic question and quest for advice. The predominant September wind is out of the south which makes me think this is likely/ possibly a gun stand. It would be a killer with a north wind. Which is the norm in November, rifle season. The sign near the stand and beds makes me think this stand is rarely hunted. What are the chances that this stand is set for the trails that cross by it rather than the beds, it just too close. If a buck were where the bed sign suggests an individual climbing the stand would absolutely jump the deer on their way in. Since winds out of the south are most common earlier in the season i’m planning on coming in from the north and looking at some other possible bedding spots to the north anyways but here’s my question. Given the proper wind would you hunt this spot anyways? Is I possible deer don’t view the stand as a threat?

The stand was almost certainly set just to be on the island and cover a trail(s). Nearly as certain is that the hunter likely has no idea those beds are there. Unfortunately, findings like what you have are pretty common on public land. Hunting the stand at 30 feet away will almost certainly blow out buck bedding. Although I have successfully entered a stand even closer than that, the odds are bad and you can back off slightly to the edge of what the buck can see / hear / smell.

No need to be discouraged as the stand is very likely from gun season... if not, then it might get hit on the opener or around Halloween.

Bridge
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 am

Thank You for the assessment. Kinda what I was thinking but the reasoning is solid.
Persistence is undefeated.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 am

218er wrote:I found a series of 5-6 beds om a fairly remote island at the northern tip in a batch of dog wood surrounded by swamp. I had previously found two sets of doe beds further south but was very excited to find a believed buck bed based on the buck sign on this parcel. There are literally 100’s of rubs I’d come across in the mile walk to this spot with one in ten being waist high. It is about a mile either way from two separate access points. I came in from the south on this voyage. To the south and north are 1000’s of acres a ag land. Mostly corn and soybeans. The public parcel i’m hunting is about 3k acres. I’ve hunted it for a year, I haven’t ever bumped into a deer hunter, but I have seen deer just about every time i’ve been there. Once I found the beds I specifically searched out the best tree for a stand. There were a few prospects 70 yards away and then I locked on to a tree 30 yards directly south of the beds. Way to close, but wouldn’t you know there was a stand set right there. (Could be a beast member if so pm, I ain’t mad at you) I examined it and based on the make model it could have been there for up to three years. Here’s my basic question and quest for advice. The predominant September wind is out of the south which makes me think this is likely/ possibly a gun stand. It would be a killer with a north wind. Which is the norm in November, rifle season. The sign near the stand and beds makes me think this stand is rarely hunted. What are the chances that this stand is set for the trails that cross by it rather than the beds, it just too close. If a buck were where the bed sign suggests an individual climbing the stand would absolutely jump the deer on their way in. Since winds out of the south are most common earlier in the season i’m planning on coming in from the north and looking at some other possible bedding spots to the north anyways but here’s my question. Given the proper wind would you hunt this spot anyways? Is I possible deer don’t view the stand as a threat?

If the beds you found are truly made by a mature buck I have to reason that either the stand hasn't been used for a while or he will move bedding as soon as anyone sits the stand. I have found so many stands on public in PA that are abandoned...i.e. a chain that is used to secure a ladder is completely surrounded in tree bark and several necessary steps are missing. On PA public stands are to have the name/address of the person or an ID# from the Game Commission. Many ignore this rule.
As far as approach I would hunt it as though you didn't see the stand unless you know somebody is using it. Maybe even use it to your advantage. Big bucks often slide 30-70 yards downwind of a stand and check it to see if anyone is home. Setting up for this movement may be perfect unless the stand has been abandoned long enough for this generation of bucks to not pay attention to it. Also, the 70 yds away trees sound very good if they set up well for the wind and thermals and your best guess at buck movement.
I hope you have success. Enjoy the process and journey.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 am

Yes, given the proper wind, I would definitely hunt those beds. I wouldn't worry about that old stand being there. If after a few sits, I don't see any fresh sign or any action, I'd move onto another location. Probably would swing by one last time before the end of the season though if I came up cold on my other spots.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 am

Don't touch my stand bra....

/jk.

"If I never hunted where someone else had ever hunted - I would never be hunting" - Dan... on one podcast or another...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”