bed found, now how to hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LMbucks

bed found, now how to hunt?

Unread postby LMbucks » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 am

Hey fellows (and gals) I'm new to the site ', LMbucks. I'm not an novice deer hunter but new to the buck bed method and it is very exciting to me. I need to get close to them to now hunt them (longbow hunter) and I want all you veterans to give advice. I know this is a large can to open but want to hear all I can. I will be hunting public ground for the first time this upcoming season, also can I effectively scout this time of year and be able to replicate what I find now to the fall. I live in Alabama and it gets very, very thick here.
Thanks for any advice I can get!!

backstraps

Re: bed found, now how to hunt?

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:11 am

Welcome to the BEAST!!

Finding a buck bed is the way to get started. Now go and find a bunch more!! :lol:

If you have not seen Dan's videos, they are an excellent source to get started. SCOUR the BEAST pages through the search option and even go through the all time best tactics threads. Lockdown just updated those pages and they are super user friendly and filled with information

Another piece of advice, ask and specific question you can think of. Not only can you get great replies on here, maybe others can learn from your topic/questions!
LMbucks

Unread postby LMbucks » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks backstraps!! Advice taken!!
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:40 am

I'm no expert, I'm actually fairly new to the Beast style and tactics myself. With that being said I've become a wayyyy better hunter and woodsman since following Dan's tactics. Someof the biggest things that have helped me grow are just watching and listening in on the forum, going to Dan's workshop, and most importantly getting out there and trying these new things. It's no walk in the park, but at first I could barely identify a buck bed when now I'll spot a potential bedding location from a map or a distance and most of the time there is a bed there. Also these guys are not kidding when they say to scout a lot. If I learned anything by following Dan the past couple of years it's to scout every single possible moment I can. Good luck in your future and WELCOME TO THE BEAST!!!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:00 pm

LMbucks wrote: can I effectively scout this time of year and be able to replicate what I find now to the fall. I live in Alabama and it gets very, very thick here.

LMbucks, welcome to The Beast. Your enthusiasm for bowhunting shows in your post! I am from Wisconsin and this whole spring scouting thing is extremely important here because shortly after the fall sign is laid down it gets cold and snows. This preserves the fall sign on the forest floor (tracks, beds, scrapes, trails, droppings). This sign is still quite visible in the springtime after the snow leaves.

Down by you I would think the best time to scout would be immediately after season. Without the freezing temps preserving sign I would think it gets pretty hard to read by now? I have never hunted down south so I may be wrong, but logically, I imagine the wind and rains have made last falls sign hard to interpret. Plus, you green up earlier than here. Of course, any time you can get in the woods is a good time to learn.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”