New to public hunting-scouting question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawkeyebowhunter

New to public hunting-scouting question

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:36 am

First post, I live in Iowa, have always hunted my grandpas property. I'm wanting to check out some new spots this year on public.

Heading out to check the spots now, what are the top 3 things I should be on the lookout for concerning potential stand sites come October?

Thanks all!

backstraps

Re: New to public hunting-scouting question

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:57 am

Welcome to the BEAST!!

For me....
Hunting pressure
Buck beds
Habitat
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:29 am

Welcome! 1. Hunting where others are not
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:48 am

Welcome to the Beast. Look for beds, kill tree and acess.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:02 am

Welcome to the Beast! Glad you’re here :)

All of the above + edges/transitions. Study aerials to find them quickly. Mark them and scout them.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:22 am

Start with cyber scouting... It will help point you in the right direction for boots on the ground.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:15 am

Found a couple of spots I think i'd like to try out come this fall.

Edge of the public property I am in a small oak flat on the top of a ridge system leading down to the river. Big bluff behind me, access thru a CRP field should make for a decent approach from the south, really an East wind would be better once I'm in the stand.

I am looking around for a tree suitable to put a stand in that's far enough from the 5 trails yet close enough for a good shot-I look up and there's a hang on stand locked to a tree???

Now I need to do some research, but I'm awfully sure you aren't supposed to leave treestands up more than a week after season closes. I would pull mine after each sit for fear of it getting stolen but that's just me.

I've never hunted public before, and don't want to encroach on someone else's spot...

I was able to find a nice scrape/rub line further to the south (350-400 yards) of that tree that I liked, across the CRP field where I wouldn't be intruding on that stand site I liked, however I'm not sure of the protocol. I realize nobody can stake claim to public property, however I don't want to be rude either.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:19 am

Welcome!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:Found a couple of spots I think i'd like to try out come this fall.

Edge of the public property I am in a small oak flat on the top of a ridge system leading down to the river. Big bluff behind me, access thru a CRP field should make for a decent approach from the south, really an East wind would be better once I'm in the stand.

I am looking around for a tree suitable to put a stand in that's far enough from the 5 trails yet close enough for a good shot-I look up and there's a hang on stand locked to a tree???

Now I need to do some research, but I'm awfully sure you aren't supposed to leave treestands up more than a week after season closes. I would pull mine after each sit for fear of it getting stolen but that's just me.

I've never hunted public before, and don't want to encroach on someone else's spot...

I was able to find a nice scrape/rub line further to the south (350-400 yards) of that tree that I liked, across the CRP field where I wouldn't be intruding on that stand site I liked, however I'm not sure of the protocol. I realize nobody can stake claim to public property, however I don't want to be rude either.

Hunting away from that ladder stand would be alot better than hunting close to it! Chances are, the deer know its there!

I would be looking for place on the edge of area you cant get a stand and or wet areas that hunter dont go like swamps marsh or open crp, more than likely pressured deer will be in those areas. Now once you find those areas be looking for closest spots to a hang a stand and try to avoid people as much as possible. I think that would at least be a good way to start!

Three things for scouting
1- depending on the sizes of the wma’s i would pick a couple of different ones, scout the crap out of them, locate some beds, and stand sites in the off season and mark good potential areas on a map.
2 scout in season the areas you picked with stand on your back

3 dont be scared to move on to diffrent wma’s or diffrent areas if no good sign is there!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:08 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:Found a couple of spots I think i'd like to try out come this fall.

Hunting away from that ladder stand would be alot better than hunting close to it! Chances are, the deer know its there!

I would be looking for place on the edge of area you cant get a stand and or wet areas that hunter dont go like swamps marsh or open crp, more than likely pressured deer will be in those areas. Now once you find those areas be looking for closest spots to a hang a stand and try to avoid people as much as possible. I think that would at least be a good way to start!

Three things for scouting
1- depending on the sizes of the wma’s i would pick a couple of different ones, scout the crap out of them, locate some beds, and stand sites in the off season and mark good potential areas on a map.
2 scout in season the areas you picked with stand on your back

3 dont be scared to move on to diffrent wma’s or diffrent areas if no good sign is there!

x2
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:44 pm

Welcome. Some great hunters hang out here so you are in good company.

I would be doing you a disservice if I don't suggest dan's dvds first and foremost. ASAP. Public land bucks have so many tricks that you are probably unaware of. And scouting trips without that knowledge will not be as valuable as you think.

You want to be in the woods if you are like me but get the lay of the land with access points and crop rotation now. Stand location will be better figured out later.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Wed May 01, 2019 12:24 am

I'll have to see if I can find the DVD's, I really enjoy watching that stuff.

I went to one of Barry Wensel's last bootcamps-really enjoyed that.

I meant to say that I found a hang on stand, the other hunter just pulled his sticks.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:37 am

Dpierce72 wrote:Welcome!

responded too quickly...

1. Public Access (parking/trails)
2. Transitions AND the thickest areas you can find / bedding
3. Signs of other hunters (old stands, food wrappers, etc)
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
crossfitcarpenter

Unread postby crossfitcarpenter » Wed May 01, 2019 12:26 pm

Find multi season rubs and follow them intil you find a bunch of multi season rubs in thick cover. Correct if I’m wrong guys but that would mean rut bedding.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:48 am

Any other tips?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”