New to public hunting-scouting question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

G-Patt
500 Club

Re: New to public hunting-scouting question

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 am

I don't have any magic bullets for you, but one bit of advice is to spend as much time as possible scouting, hiking and considering multiple set ups for the dominant prevailing wind in your area. Then consider other set ups for other types of wind. This way if you're seeing a lot of hunting pressure in one area, you have other options to consider. One most overlooked thing for public land bow hunters is to consider grounds sets. Everyone wants to get in a tree. However, you can have just as good success killing deer on the ground since some of those areas aren't as pressured. You can find ways to pile up fall downs and tuck yourself into bush somewhere. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you discover.

On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Get a good handle on thermal activity and how deer use it with prevailing wind to stay safe.
This one is a lifelong study so get after it . If you neglect it, those monster bucks will continue to haunt you just out of reach.
People here take things to extreme and study hang gliding, forest fire activity, large birds who soar, etc to gain knowledge and insight.

And have you put your hands on his DVD's yet????
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:14 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:Get a good handle on thermal activity and how deer use it with prevailing wind to stay safe.
This one is a lifelong study so get after it . If you neglect it, those monster bucks will continue to haunt you just out of reach.
People here take things to extreme and study hang gliding, forest fire activity, large birds who soar, etc to gain knowledge and insight.

And have you put your hands on his DVD's yet????

Havent ordered the DVDs at this point. I'll look into them however

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”