How do you guys manage family and hunting time?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Re: How do you guys manage family and hunting time?

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:44 am

I put all my eggs in one basket the last two years. Two week trip to Wyoming and my in-law's came to help out when I was gone. Two girls at home, 1 and 4. Then I didn't really mention hunting again until late October, and made a few days work here and there.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:03 am

Don't have kids and move away from family to a better hunting state. Granted, this approach is not for everyone.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:34 am

Its simple if theres a family event sports etc.
i just go early or after or dont go.
Home is the most important
Without home there is no support therefore there is nothing.
You just gotta use the time u get wisely and remeber dont get frustrated stay positive.
Dont make it a job.
Family should never ever get in the way of anything.
It cant thats your life. At least it is for me
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 am

November is mine. It’s been that way since before I was married.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:04 am

I have one little one who is a year and a half old right now (just a little spike buck). I am not sure what it would be like with older kids or multiple but I have learned over the past few years that things work better (for me) if I focus on quality of hunting time rather than quantity of hunting time. I accept the fact that for now anyways I am not going to be in the woods every weekend. This also means I am focusing on the best areas (and best experiences) I can find. The spots aren't necessarily close to home, though there are some. I am not screwing around trying to figure out low odds spots or spots that just are not fun to hunt.

I keep a steady pace and get out scouting when I can. I also encourage my wife to get away from the house from time to time while I stay at home with our baby just to keep things from getting so one sided.

One good thing is that I keep pretty good scouting notes in gps and video format, so I remember a lot about the places I have scouted, and most of the good spots are good every year. I have been doing beast style hunting and scouting for a very short time compared to many on here, but still, 7 years worth of scouting adds up.

The past couple seasons I have not had trouble seeing antlers on fairly challenging hunting land. Its connecting that is the obstacle and for that I just need more sits to beat the odds. Its just a matter of waiting for my next opportunity! I have learned to enjoy the chase, so killing is not the most important part.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 am

I have trouble getting out of the house for anything :lol: My wife relies on me heavily and gets overwhelmed pretty easily. It doesn’t help that the kids are pretty attached to me and sometimes act out when I’m not around. I guess I’m a fun guy? ;)

The first season after having Elli, I’m not joking at all when I say my wife would call probably 1 in 3 hunts saying I needed to come home due to an issue. Consider that along with the fact that I’m hunting and scouting about 1/3 as much as I used to. Heck half the time I can’t even mow the lawn without being called inside.

As of right now I’m getting the minimum required time afield as far as keeping my sanity. I told her before we got married that I would always hunt and fish a lot. She said I’d have to cut down when we had kids and I agreed. I cut it WAY down but it’s still too much. All I can say is she was warned and knew what she was getting into.

Half the time when I get free time my parents take the kids. I would be totally screwed without them, no doubt.

The thing I can’t figure out is we’ve got two kids, she’s overwhelmed but somehow doesn’t see it that way and wants more. :whistle:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 am

Become a lone wolf and drop all other hobbies. You’ll sacrifice family time. Is it worth missing family time? Maybe I’ll spend more time with my grandkids when I’m to old for this
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 am

If you want free time don’t have any kids. We made that decision 20 years ago and never looked back. It’s obviously not for everybody but I’m very content with it. My wife and the rest of my family fully support my passion for hunting/fishing and would never stand in the way of it and I can’t say enough how much I appreciate that.

Some people complain they never have time to hunt yet completely fill their lives up with things that really don’t matter. I understand priority with kids and other family but if you really love doing something for yourself you will find a way to do it. If you have a spouse that holds you back from doing what you love that’s just no way to live a productive happy life. There needs to be some balance and I know plenty of guys that never get the fair end of the deal and live miserable lives. Very sad to watch.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 am

No kids for us yet but been married 1 1/2 years. But works for us (it seems anyway) is that like others said, focus on QUALITY when you go to the woods and not quantity. I look at weather forecasts for a few days ahead and if I see a day or two that the weather looks good for a hunt, I will make sure I spend QUALITY time with her during the times that we do get to see each other. Also, like mentioned before, try to plan ahead, communicate with her and no surprises.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:37 am

I used to hunt, fish, ice fish, play sports non stop. Then, my wife and I had our daughter and some sacrifices had to be made.
Now, I bow hunt, scout some, and play in a neighborhood hoops league.
Family comes first but I still need ME time and my wife understands that.
Kids are great. I love my child. I also realize that I need the outdoors to balance me out.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 am

I will say re-reading my post now, living in my little bubble talking about the struggles of hunting with two babies at home, it kinda sounds like complaining. And there are some tough times but the way I see it the golden years are ahead. I absolutely cannot wait to get them involved. They're already interested in what I am up to. I think my daughter has a ton of my personality, my son a little early to tell. No doubt going to require some selfless sacrifice but I have zero problem with that, I'm dying to do it. If neither one turns out to be a hunter to the core I think I'll be pretty upset by that.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 am

Dewey wrote:Some people complain they never have time to hunt yet completely fill their lives up with things that really don’t matter.

This is so true Dewey. I see it all the time. I also see people that do it the opposite way too, and thrive at being productive, which is really inspiring.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 am

Simply put I have an amazing wife! She knows I live to deer hunt and hardly ever says a cross word. When we got together she had never even walked in the woods let alone hunted. We’ve been together 7 yrs and she has since taken up rifle hunting to be able to spend more time with me. She has killed 3 nice 3.5 yr old bucks and a big rack 2.5 in the last 4 yrs. I actually think I enjoy getting her on deer as much as I enjoy killing them! granted we are are only 25 and have no children so I am lucky I have nothing holding me back. With all that said though I think that family should always come first! My only advice on how to “balance” hunting and family would be to try to get the family involved and hopefully they will enjoy it as well
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:13 am

I think about hunting all the time. If my family wasn't taken care of I believe that focus would shift. I feel like my biggest mission on this earth is to take care of my wife and my son. I have some good advise for those in that situation. I invite my family with me scouting frequently. They even tag along sometimes. We can "hike", kayak and explore. We usually go camping a couple of times a year and I can wait till they are distracted and slip to the woods. It has helped me to enjoy my family, show the outdoors and get some scouting done.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 am

I will also add, I pretty much have given up watching football, fishing and other hunting besides deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”