The Two Track Advantage.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

The Two Track Advantage.

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:49 am

I have been doing something the last 8 years or so that has really became one of my most successful tactics.

I use two tracks or foot paths in a way where I can exploit them. A couple of thinking points.

I don't believe deer in general fear two tracks that much. They know humans use them. They become conditioned to them. I also believe they bed in a way to position themselves to pick off humans exiting the people trail.

By positioning myself to exploit that I seem to be having success picking them off just off where they cross the trail.

Think of it like a river crossing. If a two track runs a mile or so there are preferred crossing areas. This basically creates a funnel to that crossing. With some scouting knowledge and close bedding these spots can produce. Access is quick n simple. They also give up great clues by showing tracks well. I have also noticed bucks love to scrape on the ample supply of over hanging branches on the trails.

The area I hunt is broken up into old logging trails and footpaths. They spider web the entire woods breaking it up into smaller areas. I doubt I could walk 400 yards in one direction without running into another one. This is good though because knowing the trails gives multiple access points and the ability to easily adjust routes according to wind.

I think if you can find the right combo of things they can pay off.

Thoughts?

218er
500 Club

Re: The Two Track Advantage.

Unread postby 218er » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:54 pm

I think your on to something. The majority of my hunting career has been in big woods areas that are constantly being logged. The two tracks as you describe are just referred to as old logging roads in my area. These are the main ways through the forest. These are absolutely preferred crossing areas. Low points, swamp edges, beaver dams, clear cuts, etc. Additionally they often have trails running parallel to them. I like to find crossing points follow those back to trails that run parallel to the two track. In my experience these trails are where you are most likely to see daytime activity.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”