Making the Shot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Making the Shot

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:50 am

DaveT1963 wrote:My advice
1. Enjoy the ride - it will only last a set # of days.
2. Don't get your priorities in life mixed up..... BTW age has a way of putting them back into perspective for you.
3. There is no hunting in heaven - sorry guys but the old adage "he's off to happier hunting grounds" just isn't Biblical
4. As far as making the shot - breathe and focus - then like Dan says learn to kill before becoming overly concerned with killing "a slob"
5. Trophy walls are great to stroke egos, sale products and empty wallets - not much else
6. You don't have to please anyone but your God, your family and your friends - most others could really care less
7. Learn to laugh a bit more, stay a little longer, breath a little deeper; if that seems hard than refer back to #1

Dave are you looking to adopt a 42 year old son from Iowa? Great post.

I also come with 3 grand children to teach these points too.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:45 am

muddy wrote:
2. Don't get your priorities in life mixed up..... BTW age has a way of putting them back into perspective for you.
3. There is no hunting in heaven - sorry guys but the old adage "he's off to happier hunting grounds" just isn't Biblical
4. As far as making the shot - breathe and focus - then like Dan says learn to kill before becoming overly concerned with killing "a slob"
5. Trophy walls are great to stroke egos, sale products and empty wallets - not much else
6. You don't have to please anyone but your God, your family and your friends - most others could really care less
7. Learn to laugh a bit more, stay a little longer, breath a little deeper; if that seems hard than refer back to #1

Dave are you looking to adopt a 42 year old son from Iowa? Great post.

I also come with 3 grand children to teach these points too.

Sure, she's that very me hunting rights in Iowa lol. Grand kids are the best. Really enjoyed your season this year..... something tells me "you get it"
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:49 pm

I’ve blown many bow opportunities but not as many with a rifle recently. I think it’s all about experience. I’ve shot enough deer with a rifle I don’t question my abilities at all. With a bow there are so many more variables for me personally it just takes a higher level of concentration. Here’s two things that have helped me be more confident in my ability to make shots. When I practice I don’t take all shots at 20-40 yards squared up. I like to take angular shots of like 9-37 yards. The greater the angle the less margin for error. Real life situations often present angular shots which require a higher level of confidence, if you can make them on the range you can do it in the field. Second, put a colored tack or golf tee on the target, that’s my aim point. In the field I lock onto a tuff of hair, a muscle, a crease- I don’t want a sea of brown on my mind. Locking unto a very small aim point gives a much larger margin for error when you miss by a few inches or a deer moves after you release the arrow.
Persistence is undefeated.
walking river

Unread postby walking river » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 am

Lots of solid advice here already...having a routine, notching a few tags, nothing beats muscle memory. I had one of those shots last fall when the buck came in moving directly downwind instead of skirting a doe bedding area. There was a lot of chasing going on that afternoon. He came from behind me giving me time to glance, draw and release...just that fast. Muscle memory, auto pilot, whatever you want to call it is a sweet thing. Of course, like any athlete training, nothing simulates the real thing so going through the process of planning and executing the shot and getting several kills under your belt will lead you to feel like the shot opportunities presented will be automatic kills.
I can't stand this indecision married with a lack of vision...
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:06 am

So true.... great post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”