Making the Shot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Making the Shot

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:52 am

Sometimes I feel like I have taken more from this place than I have given. I can't teach how to find a buck bed, I can only point you to dan's teachings, the hunting beast forum, or sell you some of dans dvds.

I try to give back, but am not quite the teacher, especially here on the BEAST. Maybe making the shot, I can help with. I was just watching a Tigers game and they were talking about when the game finally slows down for players. The commentator asked when did it slow down for you, and the color commentator said, when I had some success.

Some of us find the BEAST, and we become like someone who just found Jesus, we want to teach to early, we want to be a big buck hunter right away, when we really are still the student. Dan often says to younger hunters, go get some kills under your belt. And that is where I am going with this. I haven't killed a lot of big bucks, but I have dumped a few animals. And I have finally noticed that everything has slowed down. I don't get the shakes, and I still enjoy it (some say they will quit when they lose that feeling, and I think they mean buck fever). After quite a few deer getting shot, drug, hung, and butchered it has slowed down for me.

So anyone can chime in. Feel free to get technical if there was something that you went through and found a good routine out of it. I just think nature is nature, and now I feel part of it. I have done it, and it has slowed down. So stop and smell the roses, on the way to your stand, then try to stay off your phone long enough to go kill something. Gut it, drag it, hang it , butcher it. Rinse and repeat and see if it doesn't help make the shot easier. I know everyone here wants to shoot a slob, but sometimes that tag in your pocket entitles you to a fine organic meal. So dump an animal, you may actually save it from starving this next winter. I think that is one of the reasons that they have hunting season.

Don't get me wrong, I have missed (I missed an elk 20 minutes in to my hunt last September). But other than wishing I had a freezer full of elk meat, I haven't dwelled on it. Some say they go into the zone, or auto pilot, but I think it has just slowed down for me after killing a pile of meat.

All comments are welcome. What has helped you with making the shot, or where or you at? If you choke admit it, and see if that doesn't help, why do you choke? I shot my first two deer I ever shot at. And was bragging around the wrong guy. He said "if you haven't missed any deer, you haven't shot at very many". He was right. I missed many since that statement, but I hit more than I miss these days, and when I do miss I don't let it get to me. Part of nature. I once watched a bald eagle pick up and drop a fish on Lake Gogebic. Bald Eagles, coyotes, mtn. lions, etc., don't kill everything and everytime they try.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Re: Making the Shot

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:28 am

I'm with you Brother Lou, same here...

I can teach what not to do based off my experiences.
Or maybe the ones that got away.
:whistle:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:48 am

In my youth I struggled with taking bad shots. I was overcome with the excitement of killing a deer. I would try and shoot through brush, take long shots, used bent arrows...I could go on I'm sure.

It is a different time today. I went through those stages as a teen and even into my early twenties. I didn't have a true mentor in the hunting world till I was probably 22. I feel today with the youth season and technological advances it's just easier for someone struggling. The 80s was the end of the old days n birth of what we have today.

I'm sure I could watch proper shooting technique videos all day on YouTube.

Anyhow, like Lou posted above, the thing that helped the most was killing deer. I don't know how many deer I have killed anymore, but if you took my reaction of those first few years and compared it to my reaction today I am way more calm. It's just muscle memory now. I don't think. I click into a kill mode. All my movements are precise n smooth.

I posted in another thread a few months ago about hunting with my newb cousin this year. I joke to him how he needs to get his stealth points up. I think the things that we have learned over the years just become part of our being. As I sleeked, thoughtful of every branch and step he stumbled and crashed through the woods....

Knowing the animal, the wind, the rain, how the seasons change. All of that pours into that moment when the opportunity arises for a shot. It's honing that skill we call woodsmanship.

Of course I'm not a monster buck slayer and I still miss deer on occasion. I still mess up alot but I don't stop learning and seeking to be better. That is what keeps it fun.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:50 am

Staying extremely alert while in the field. I would say over 90% of the shots I have messed up were when I was caught off guard. Seeing or being aware of the target animal’s presence as early as possible is always crucial.

That and trying to set up for close shots. That is under 25 yards with bow and within 100 yards with firearm.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:11 am

PK_ wrote:Staying extremely alert while in the field. I would say over 90% of the shots I have messed up were when I was caught off guard. Seeing or being aware of the target animal’s presence as early as possible is always crucial.

That and trying to set up for close shots. That is under 25 yards with bow and within 100 yards with firearm.

X2

I was just thinking. I usually have 2 type of shots. The quick surprise shot and the long drawn out, watch the deer forever shot.

I can remember having buck fever so bad once from a buck I watched browsing through slowly. By time he got me me my legs were shaking. The shakes got so violent my foot started thumping off the wooden stand I was in. Needless to say I scared that buck away just as he came into range.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 am

Killing a lot of deer made it easier for me. When our country doe quota got bumped I killed 14 does one year, 10 the next, and 7 the next. Those 3 years taught me to control my shot selection, emotions, and patience. Since then I go thru the exact same shot routine on every deer that comes under. Sometimes the routine is seconds other times it may be a minutes.

1) get prepared to shoot
2) decide if I'm shooting or passing
3) stare at the heart area
4) execute the shot as soon as one presents itself

Once I decide I'm killing that buck I dont look at anything but the kill area and figure out the shooting lane. Very rarely do I get flustered BEFORE the shot, but afterwards I'm always shaking with excitement.

Good thread old man.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:57 pm

muddy wrote:Killing a lot of deer made it easier for me. When our country doe quota got bumped I killed 14 does one year, 10 the next, and 7 the next. Those 3 years taught me to control my shot selection, emotions, and patience. Since then I go thru the exact same shot routine on every deer that comes under. Sometimes the routine is seconds other times it may be a minutes.

1) get prepared to shoot
2) decide if I'm shooting or passing
3) stare at the heart area
4) execute the shot as soon as one presents itself

Once I decide I'm killing that buck I dont look at anything but the kill area and figure out the shooting lane. Very rarely do I get flustered BEFORE the shot, but afterwards I'm always shaking with excitement.
Good thread old man.

I think this is a very important point of view and tip. I too focus on the spot I am going to shoot. Until I shoot I see nothing but that spot and plan exactly when I am going to release. It is such a cool feeling to be calm as a cucumber until you release or fire and then go to pieces shaking like a leaf!

One thing for me personally though, I can still yet shoot does and be calm and put amazing shots on them just like backyard target practice, but the sight of a shooter buck kind of tosses my above paragraph out the window. I get nervous and literally have to coach myself through the shot...and then I once again go into treestand shakes!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:26 pm

I use to shake whole time when I younger. Everything had to be done right now. Thirty years later. You get way more comfortable with more success shots under your belt. Now its like when I commit auto mode takes over. But, after shot adrenaline rush starts to bleed off is a wonder thing. I shake bad always and hope always will
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:16 am

Since this went over so well, let me give some more advice.

Eat your vegetables.

My neighbor says he doesn't eat vegetables because the deer and cows eat them and he eats them. I disagree that that is anything near eating vegetables. To be a top level predator, you have to have a high brain function, one gets that from a varied diet, vitamins and minerals that are from plants. Not just meat. Meat is good, especially wild game, but one needs a good variety to be an apex predator. I have never seen a dog that didn't like carrots, I cant imagine canine predators don't eat some vegetables. Bear are true omnivores, like us, and probably the smartest of the woods. If a bear had thumbs we might be in trouble.

To summarize, shoot a lot of animals and eat your vegetables. It will help you at making the shot. And take the ball cap off at the dinner table. ;)

Remember Muddy called me an old man, so I am mostly speaking to the younger hunters, except Predator TC, and Bighunt. Those guys are ridiculous at killing quality animals, they are exceptions, I bet bighunt doesn't even have to eat vegetables. Guys like Ed and I need to eat our vegetables, and shoot a lot to have a chance if a big one ever comes near us.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:02 am

I feel fortunate that this far in my hunting ventures, I've never had an issue executing shots on deer.

I'd agree, a lot of it goes back to me killing deer. I started at the age of 12 and my first 10 or so years, the woods we're target rich...tags were plentiful. I got to SEE a lot of deer and I shot a good number. I probably average 2-3 a year.

Turkey was a different story. I froze up. Over thought the shot and till I was 16, my 5th season, I never pulled the trigger despite having several opprotunities every season...can't explain what those stupid birds did to me. After that, I started shooting and killing them.

Funny someone mentioned being alert and spotting the deer before they are too close....my dad is a good shooter. But he's had me on some wild goose chase over poor shots. Just this year 2 different buck....both he had lots of time watching and waiting for the shot...then one day we were together, a doe came trotting down a side ditch...we we're both walking up opposing sides of it. As I was getting ready to pull the trigger, a shot rang out. It was my dad. I couldn't even see his orange....I knew it was a pretty difficult shot and he absolutely crushed her. For him, if he has too much time, he looses his marbles lol.

Someone mentioned focusing on the kill area....and someone mentioned "going to a zone".

I'd say I fall into that method....I spot the critter and identify it. I make the decision on shoot or pass. From there, I focus on getting it killed. Where's it going? Where is my first shot opprotunity going to be? Where is my SECOND shot opprotunity likely to be? When to stand..when to draw.

Archery hunting I typically setup so my shots are going to be top pin shots so range isn't a factor....I do carry a range finder and I range stuff as I sit just in case....I can only think of one time I ranged an animal to shoot...it was a fall turkey and I was on the ground. I ranged them several times as they worked into range.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:51 am

Great thread Lou! I'm definitely not a regular 'mature buck' killer, yet, (!), but have put down numerous deer over the years and never really struggled with the shakes or poor shots. That's not to say I didn't make some poor ones. Anyhow, for me it's always been about slowing down and using my hearing to it's maximum benefit. Moving very slowly, Anticipating every potential shot as I move through the woods or am sitting on stand. KNOWING, that I am an apex predator, a natural born killer if you will. I also have made that shot in my mind over and over as I sit on stand or still hunt my way through the woods.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:33 am

Experience is the best teacher. Like mentioned extreme focus is very important when hunting. I am mentally drained after a hunt due to focus. If I think back to when I started having success bow hunting I remember thinking how so many things have to come together to make the shot. Shooting a statinary target in your yard can never simulate shooting a deer much less a wise old buck. The quicker you see a deer on stand the better prepared you are when it gets in range (focus). Being able to visualize the process from seeing deer to drawing bow to letting an arrow loose before it happens really helps (experience).
Nothing I know of can replicate the hundreds of descions that are made from seeing a deer to letting an arrow go. Dan and Lou's advise is solid. Getting some kills under your belt will lead to understanding all the variables and making the right descions. Every encounter is different and one has to learn from mistakes to get it right. I dont think closing the deal can be taught, it has to be learned.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:27 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Since this went over so well, let me give some more advice.

Eat your vegetables.

My neighbor says he doesn't eat vegetables because the deer and cows eat them and he eats them. I disagree that that is anything near eating vegetables. To be a top level predator, you have to have a high brain function, one gets that from a varied diet, vitamins and minerals that are from plants. Not just meat. Meat is good, especially wild game, but one needs a good variety to be an apex predator. I have never seen a dog that didn't like carrots, I cant imagine canine predators don't eat some vegetables. Bear are true omnivores, like us, and probably the smartest of the woods. If a bear had thumbs we might be in trouble.

To summarize, shoot a lot of animals and eat your vegetables. It will help you at making the shot. And take the ball cap off at the dinner table. ;)

Remember Muddy called me an old man, so I am mostly speaking to the younger hunters, except Predator TC, and Bighunt. Those guys are ridiculous at killing quality animals, they are exceptions, I bet bighunt doesn't even have to eat vegetables. Guys like Ed and I need to eat our vegetables, and shoot a lot to have a chance if a big one ever comes near us.

What are vegetables?
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:31 am

jporcello wrote:

Eat your vegetables.

What are vegetables?

Something best rolled up with cheese, cream cheese, wrapped in bacon , then deep fried and served with queso, ranch, tobasco, and beer.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:43 am

muddy wrote:
jporcello wrote:

Eat your vegetables.

What are vegetables?

Something best rolled up with cheese, cream cheese, wrapped in bacon , then deep fried and served with queso, ranch, tobasco, and beer.

You know, I've found my favorite way to eat broccoli and cauliflower is to drench it in cheddar cheese, bacon, butter, and salt. I never knew those two vegetables could be so good!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”