Importance of Finding Actual Beds vs Bedding Areas?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Importance of Finding Actual Beds vs Bedding Areas?

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:03 am

It depends on the terrain. Some terrain it’s almost impossible to find individual beds. I know of primary buck bedding areas where you literally can’t find any deer sign in them to speak of.

Other times, guys think they are in the bedding and really they are in the staging. Especially in swamps/marshes.

To answer your question I really don’t feel it necessary to find exact beds unless I am struggling to figure out how the deer are actually using the spot.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm

I’m looking macro (area) first and working towards micro (single bed). The larger the bedding area typically means less use of a single bed and my focus is figuring where he’s going when he gets up. Smaller areas usually mean less options for the buck to lay and me to get my access right. Then the micro scale is most important. I’m still looking for individual beds in large bedding areas because I want to know what winds they’re using and their visual from them. Larger bedding areas usually allow for more winds and the vice versa. Note: I hunt very flat terrain.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:22 am

^^^ this is something I try to do. I feel that it gives better options for set ups and ways of access.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:29 am

I hunt heavily pressured public land and had to learn on my own I quickly learned I needed to hunt near bedding areas. I would scout in spring and in season with stand on back. I was killing big bucks before I even knew what beast hunting was. I never really payed attention to specific beds but every year I was trying to learn more and started picking up some of Dan's tactics and recognizing specific beds. One thing I noticed is on some sets I didn't change anything on others I was probably a little too far back or not on the best terrain feature. It kind of depends on the terrain, bedding layout, and how large the bedding area is. Also recognizing if that bedding is wind specific but you dont always have to find exact beds and in some cases it's not really required. However finding beds gives you a huge advantage in understanding how deer bed and what kind of areas bucks like to bed and it makes it easier to pick those locations on a map when cyber scouting new areas.

A lot of times the best areas have multiple good buck beds. If you hunt one or two beds on a sit you have generally lower odds of encountering a good buck unless you know when hes in it. I guess when you fail at it enough things start to click. If it was as easy as finding a buck bed and setting up everyone hunting beds would be killing big bucks every year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”