Beast Style Newb

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Machado

Beast Style Newb

Unread postby Machado » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:23 am

Hey guys,
New to the forum but have been a follower for quite some time! Love all the new videos popping up on the YouTube, they're priceless. Thanks for that Dan and Mario.

I live in NY which has pretty heavy pressure and have realized over that past couple years that instead of hunting deer i need to hunt hunters and have really started to zero in on that mentality planning for this upcoming season. I've put on at least 30 miles scouting and have found an unbelievable amount of treestands. I hunt solely mobile/run-n-gun and only with a bow. I've been keying in on swamps as I have a few within a close vicinity to the house and just gained permission on a piece with a 10 acre cattail marsh on it. I'm including some photos, one an aerial before i scouted it and one marked up with what i found. I have to admit, it was amazing standing at my truck looking out over this marsh and knowing what to expect at the bast of all these small trees. My question is how would you guys go about diving into this piece. I'm surprised that a majority of this bedding doesn't have fresh rubs. The property itself is about 160 acres but i think this marsh is a hub. I also wonder how this immediate "hill" to the west of the marsh might come into play. Let me know if i can fill in any other gaps i may have left out. Looking forward learning from you guys. Cheers ImageImageImage
- Justin

backstraps

Re: Beast Style Newb

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Welcome to the BEAST
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Surprised you didn’t find anything in that patch of cedars near the hilltop just to the right of the “1000’ “.

Really surprised nothing was on the little clump in the very south section of the marsh.

Everything else looks pretty usual.

Where you have the deer track waypoint almost dead center of screenshot. I would like that spot for all day rut sit.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 am

Welcome...
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Machado

Unread postby Machado » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:03 pm

After listening back to and older podcast Dan mentions that it’s not rare to not find sign near the beds so I guess that answers part of my question. Thanks for the welcomes!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:44 pm

Welcome to the BEAST. I can't imagine on a west wind that there wouldn't be a buck sitting just below the 1000' line watching potential approaches from the east. That's all I got. I would be in that piece during a rain during late October/early November picking that place apart, with weapon in hand. I am not saying you should, I am just not very patient. Good luck and I would probably take others advice on where to go and how to hunt it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:48 am

Welcome to the Beast. The only advise I have to ofer is don't let the spot dictate where you hunt initially, let the sign show you were to hunt.
Machado

Unread postby Machado » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:16 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Welcome to the BEAST. I can't imagine on a west wind that there wouldn't be a buck sitting just below the 1000' line watching potential approaches from the east. That's all I got. I would be in that piece during a rain during late October/early November picking that place apart, with weapon in hand. I am not saying you should, I am just not very patient. Good luck and I would probably take others advice on where to go and how to hunt it.

One thing I should’ve mentioned is that there’s a two track that wraps the whole way around that hill but Ilthat makes me want to go walk that side hill and pay better attention. Thanks for your suggestion!
Machado

Unread postby Machado » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:17 am

freezeAR wrote:Welcome to the Beast. The only advise I have to ofer is don't let the spot dictate where you hunt initially, let the sign show you were to hunt.

Thanks! Good advice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”