Sunglasses and Face Camo Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Sunglasses and Face Camo Question

Unread postby DhD » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:20 pm

I heard Andre say something in the latest interview about wearing some kind of eye covering. I believe he said something about deer being able to see eyeglasses. Does anyone wear sunglasses when hunting? Curious to hear some experienced beasts opinions, I am still very new to all of this.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
muddy

Re: Sunglasses and Face Camo Question

Unread postby muddy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 pm

I've been wearing glasses, while bow hunting, for 30 years... I do wear a tight face mask to cut down on my pasty white facial glare (and for warmth) but never sunglasses. At least never to keep them from seeing my eyes? If I have deer in close I usually have my bow in hand and then I hold it so the top limbs are in the middle of my face breaking it up even more.

In the right circumstances I suppose a deer could catch glasses glare, or eye movement, but it's not something I'm worrying about.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:29 am

Heard that as well, I look at it pretty much same as Muddy. The eye glass glare is what concerns me the most, so I like a bill on the hat and use the bow to kind of hide behind. Also try to stay in the shadows if I can.
I use to not look at them worried their 6th sense would kick in but found it made little difference for me. I usually do use a head cover just so my face glare doesn’t stick out but not always. When on the ground eye to eye I smear the face paint on I think mainly more for my own confidence.
Not to argue or dispute Andre in any way cause guy is a master but if you think about it dark sunglasses look more like eyes that would stick out then the human eye. Same basic shape as a pair of eyes but larger to stick out more in my thinking anyways.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 am

I appreciate the responses. I guess I should ask what color lenses, I don't really have a choice. I have a skin condition that gets worse with sun exposure. So what color lenses would people recommended if they had to wear them.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:47 pm

DhD wrote:I appreciate the responses. I guess I should ask what color lenses, I don't really have a choice. I have a skin condition that gets worse with sun exposure. So what color lenses would people recommended if they had to wear them.

If I were wearing sunglasses in the woods I would want something that would help in low light like amber or something made for sight fishing.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:22 pm

I typically wear facepaint, because I don't care for masks. Not sure if it's needed, but I prefer wearing it. I've read that deer will see a pair of eye's and think "predator", and possibly spook. Not sure if that's true of not? I wear a billed hat and just tip my head down and shield my eyes from them with the bill sometimes, if I feel they are looking at me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:37 pm

tgreeno wrote:I typically wear facepaint, because I don't care for masks. Not sure if it's needed, but I prefer wearing it. I've read that deer will see a pair of eye's and think "predator", and possibly spook. Not sure if that's true of not? I wear a billed hat and just tip my head down and shield my eyes from them with the bill sometimes, if I feel they are looking at me.

I don't really like wearing them either, but I have decided I don't have much of a choice if I want to keep my sexy complexion :lol:. Unless I am in the shade its a mask and sunglasses full time for me. I have a pair of dark colored Oakley's, and some green lens Costas that are made for sight fishing. Don't have any issue getting something different if needed either. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I would hate to screw up a good buck because he saw my glasses.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:08 pm

Those buck commander guys are always wearing face paint and sunglasses. They were in the only DVD I had of them, I think it's either the 2nd or 3rd season. They are cocky ex baseball players but they were killing some slobs with a bow.

I wear baseball style hat all day, everyday and if it's partly sunny I have to have sunglasses. I have to have sunglasses if fishing, especially in a boat.

I've tried wearing sunglasses while in the woods both playing disc golf and hunting. The sunglasses always seem to be a a hinderance though and Id keep them in the truck than try to keep up with them.

I think this is more of a preference thing. Try it! It might work for you.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Weezy

Unread postby Weezy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:08 am

I have wore eyeglasses my entire life and never had any issues. I also wear a face mask but it doesn't cover my glasses. Some of those TV guys crack me up with there face paint looking like a KISS cover band. Give me a brake they could kill a deer wearing a Santa Suit on there highly managed properties. Oh that's right they have. That's not hunting in the real world.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:19 am

I think someone with Andre's level of success can worry about sun glasses. For most, myself included there's more to figure out before worrying about bucks seeing your eyes. Like actually finding bucks to see your eyes.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 pm

I think covering the human eye would definitely help.
Sunglasses lenses though mostly are reflective.
When were at the beach I quickly notice those with sunglasses on by lens reflection.

Most shots come at dusk in low light ,If were already having trouble with seeing small branches. I don't see how sunglasses are going to help at the time most shots are taken.

He might get middle of the day shots on a farm with no pressure. Not going to happen for most of us hunting pressured public areas.

I find face paints to be very greasy and runny very frustrating and uncomfortable in hot conditions. I would use it if I could ever find a good brand.

I currently wear a bug tamer facenet though it isn't comfortable. Sometimes I just wear a sitka beanie leaving my lower face eyes down uncovered.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:19 pm

Weezy wrote:I have wore eyeglasses my entire life and never had any issues. I also wear a face mask but it doesn't cover my glasses. Some of those TV guys crack me up with there face paint looking like a KISS cover band. Give me a brake they could kill a deer wearing a Santa Suit on there highly managed properties. Oh that's right they have. That's not hunting in the real world.

Exactly.
Hunting a ranch with no pressure isn't real hunting any person could be successful like that.
Having a person using a cattle prod pushing the deer into camera view for the shot or a high fence 60 yards wide every deer must pass through like a funnel. I think probably half or more of TV stars do this.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:42 am

My uncle and I were fishing once, and they were starting to bite. He goes "great, it's almost dark and they are finally starting to bite."
I said take off your sunglasses...

"oh, we can fish at least another half hour! " :lol:

I can't see anything in the woodland shadows with sunglasses on. I try to wear them scouting, and usually end up losing them because they get put in a pocket or on top of my head so I can see. I can't imagine trying to see and target a deer creeping through.
I hate wearing my prescription eyeglasses while hunting, so always wear contact lenses.
I wear a face mask, because I can't stand make up.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:29 am

bug head net in early season so I’m not swatting at annoying insects. I’m not that fond of looking through it, but it also doubles as eye covering. I usually wear a face mask with a camo cap on top so I can tip my head/brim down to avoid eyeball-to-eyeball contact. Couldn’t imagine wearing sunglasses in the magic hour; need every bit of light possible.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”