2019 goals?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Re: 2019 goals?

Unread postby Ack » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:03 pm

I've finally realized I need to be in better shape come season.....the last two falls I've torqued my back a couple weeks into the season. Strength-wise I'm good, but core strength needs to be improved.

Shoot a couple does and a CBM buck.....I'd like to mimic Hawthorne's goal of a P&Y, but that could lead to a frustrating season around here. I'm still good if it's over a 100".

Might branch out to a new area farther from home with buddy......this would most likely be a rut thing, but either way a small deer camp for a few days would be fun.

Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:17 pm

Get my wife and brother their 1st racked bucks on public. Get my wife her first Tom.

Harvest 4 public Toms between Ohio and the DBNF (going in blind next month).

Tag out with P&Ys in KY and OH this year before Thanksgiving. Take a week off work to hunt with my grandpa in east TN. Probably only have a couple more seasons where we can get up the mountain together.

Break my PBRs for flat head (#40) and blue cat (#60) this year on the Ohio River.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:09 am

My wife and I are expecting our first kid in late September so that means significantly less time in the tree this year...and no elk hunting. So with that, I am probably going to scale back my expectations a lot for this upcoming season and just cherish the time I do get in the tree. I will still be scouting as much as I can this spring.

I do have 6 weeks of paid paternity leave so I may try to weasel a little tree time with that :D I’m lucky that I have access to some ok private land that abuts my house and a couple public spots close by that are decent as well.

One new thing I will be trying is an actual saddle (Tethrd or Aero) rather than a sit-drag type saddle. It will be fun practicing and becoming proficient with new equipment.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:01 am

Kill a buck bigger than the one I got on 2018. I started doing this since 3 seasons ago when I killed Nice 8 point.
I also discovered possible mature buck sign on public land during gun season. I look forward to getting back in the stand with a bow in hand to get a crack at whatever maybe lurking out there.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:19 am

Kill the big slob in the hills of Vernon County Wis, that eluded me all season, seeing him only twice..... Continue to practice shooting, up hill, because I missed a beauty in January,,,,,, and continue to just have fun......
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:24 am

My goal is to kill two mature Missouri bucks and 4 does. I plan to turn up my aggressiveness meter a couple notches on the bucks. Also, I plan to shoot the first 4 does I get an opportunity at, on public. I will also continue to pray the outfitters get ran out of the county.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:46 am

A P&Y. Bonus points if it comes early season. Planning to make an extra hard run at the early season this year.
bowonly68

Unread postby bowonly68 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:37 am

I have several goals for 2019. Some hunting related and some not:

Would like to lose some weight and get in better shape for the upcoming hunting season.....weight loss achieved, now just need to get in a little better shape to make those long hauls out of the swamp a little easier.

My wife and I purchased some property to build a house on. Looking to get the house and shop pad done and have a pond dug this summer.....have met with contractors and waiting on bids for all this dirt work.

Wrap a midwest tag around a 140" or better buck from public land. Will be putting in for a Kansas nonresident tag next month. If that isn't successful will be making a trip to eiher Missouri or Oklahoma with the same goal in mind. The 140" mark has eluded me thus far, hoping this is the year.

Wrap a Louisiana tag around a mature buck on public land. Had encounters with 2 mature bucks this past season but didn't get a shot at either one. Will be looking for either one of them this fall or one of that caliber. Gained a good bit of knowledge this past season. From a pressure and deer movement stand point, seems like late January is the time to be in this particular swamp.
"Iron sharpens iron as one man sharpens another"(Proverbs 27:17)
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:17 am

I want to relax, have fun, scout more, and shoot a giant.
The first 2 goals are most important.
When I say giant I mean 150” or bigger or a buck that is mature.
Time to end a streak and start a new one.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:53 am

1- fill the freezer!
2- learn my new archery setup, shoot often
I simplified my bow set, went to a wisher biscuit due to my ultra rest freezing on two occasions costing me two really nice bucks.
3- get as comfortable with my saddle setup as I am with my climber!
4- only shoot an archery buck that is bigger than last years, show growth and restraint on my part to learn by setting a higher standard for myself.
5- for love of God, draw a Pa bull elk tag. . . . . .
6- plan my hunts better after finding a buck, I messed this up last year after finding a slob in July, blew it on the first day of the season... I got a little too excited that what I learned from HB actually worked.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Coolhandluke

Unread postby Coolhandluke » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:49 am

Im making the plunge back into public ground this year and hoping to get my first public land buck. I basically want to expand my knowledge of those public areas. Build my bank of good spots. And yeah I want to kill my biggest buck this year. Keep pushing the threshold. I want to work hard on truly becoming mobile. Maybe even take to the nth degree just to pound the point home in my brain. No 2nd sits all new spots.

However, I’ll be happy just getting to enjoy the great outdoors. I’ve seen others say this but as I get older and take on more responsibilities with family and work the time in the woods really becomes spiritual.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:31 am

Hopefully enjoy the season try to get on a few nice bucks.

With cwd and deer numbers decreasing where I mostly hunt going to be a tough year.

Going to need to find alot of gas money this year to hunt some areas with decent bucks. Really hoping a big one I was after last year is still around.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 am

Have fun.

Kill a buck that makes me happy in Wisconsin then go out of state and do the same thing.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Main goal is to get the kid his first rifle deer, we hunted about 4-5 days last year and never even saw a deer. Wolves were working us over pretty good, tried some new ground and no luck, couldn't even find the kid a doe when it mattered. :lol: That will change this year. 8-)

I of course will be chasing some bigwoods bucks, no goals really, just going to work harder at in-season scouting and hunt more with a purpose.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:21 pm

The goals is always a wall hanger. First, I have to find where their at by scouting and with trail cameras, then I have to strategize getting a crack at them, and lastly capitalize on the opportunity. I’ve definitely failed more then I’ve succeeded but man I love the process.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”