2019 goals?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
funderburk
500 Club

Re: 2019 goals?

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 am

My goals for 2019...

I. Hunt smarter than I did last year by knowing my spots inside and out and how the deer are most likely to be using each area. I'm currently spending multiple hours each week studying aerials and topos, reading through threads on the beast, watching Dan's videos and DVDs, reading Andrae's interviews, etc. I'm soaking up as much information as I can and putting everything into practice as much as I can. I've even been blessed with the mentorship of a fellow beast (he'll remain unnamed, but he's a killer) who has taken me under his wing to show me the way to mature buck glory 8-)

II. Hunt quieter than I did last year by stealthifying all of my gear and knowing everything inside and out. Dan's video of what all he carries into the woods really had an impact on me. For 2019, I'll be as minimal as possible. Via the suggestion of another beast, I purchased a bowhunting vest that is super lightweight and allows me to carry only what I need into the woods. I also plan to hunt quieter by showing up to my spots way earlier and being patient on my access and just overall more intentional. Big thing for me is allowing enough time. Simple fix, just need to work on my self-discipline.

III. Kill a mature buck (3.5 - 5.5 years old). I know, I know - it's not about the kill. I totally agree. And if I never killed another doe or young buck or even a stubborn ole thunder chicken, I'd still feel blessed and satisfied with what God has allowed me to accomplish in the woods. My dad was a killer and he taught me how to kill. That box has been checked for a long time.

But 2019 is different...

I've never killed a mature buck and I'm ready to take that next step as a hunter where I'm targeting, hunting, and killing wise old bucks. That desire drove me to find a resource like the Beast. I'm so thankful I found this awesome community because basically I didn't know what I didn't know. I needed a resource like Dan and you fine fellas to show me what it takes to get to that next level. I've already learned a ton and feel that I'm already a better hunter after utilizing some beast tactics during the tail end of last season. But with 2019 being my first full deer season as a beast, I'm hungry for the kill. Don't get me wrong. It's not about the blood or the meat or exercising some kind of predatory dominance over an animal. Not in any way. It's about maturing as a woodsman by humbling myself and realizing I don't know everything. It's about interacting within a community of wise hunters and asking tons of questions and learning from their experiences. It's about setting a lofty goal and being diligent, yet patient, in building the steps that it takes to get there. Finally, for me personally, this is about growing as a man. For my wife to see her husband and my daughter to see her daddy set a goal, work hard, push through the failures, and eventually accomplish that goal is a major driving factor for me.

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:04 am

To kill a 100" + buck in my home state (PA) and something 120" or better in Missouri in bow season. Along with a few doe to fill the freezer.
Bowtech Revolt X bow and exodus broadheads
Lone Wolf stand's and beast sticks
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 am

Keep my blood trails to 100 yds. or less.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:35 am

#1 - fill the freezer

#2 - hunt more spots and increase my knowledge of new areas

#3 - hunt a spot that I have never done boots on the ground hunting before the hunt

#4 - Get better with my mobile setup that I purchased last year

#5 - learn more about wind
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:25 am

I lost 45lbs from last season, and am continuing to better myself. That was one of my 18' goals. Another goal for last year was to shoot in leagues in the 19' off season. I am currently doing this one. I am very happy & confident with my bow in hand.

1.) This year I want to continue to grow my woodsman ship.
2.) Slow down earlier when walking to an area and hunt the fresh sign.
3.) Take my time climbing my trees being as quiet as possible. I have to continue to remind myself it is not a race. I am finding that Murphy's Law is happening to me less and less as I am slowing down and paying attention to my movements instead of rushing.
4.) Only putting trail cameras in areas I do not plan to hunt or return to. Then taking that years worth of intel for next year.
A Tough Hunt, Makes A Great Story
Keep On Grinding
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:09 am

Taxidermy bills
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:32 pm

#1 Have Fun
#2 Don't let pressure or what other guys are doing take away from my own joy.
#3 Coming off the first season I can remember where I didn't get some kind of injury. Would like to keep that streak going.
#4 Don't know if mom will buy in but would like to finally get to take my daughter with me a few times.
#5 Be at my best when it matters most!

I turned over a new leaf several years ago to help me accomplish these goals. That is to live each day like its my last. Tell my wife and kiddo how much they mean to me every morning. Treat each outdoors experience like its my last. Take my time and Stop to smell the roses. And live life for myself with no regrets. Anything else is just gravy. Cause believe it or not it will be all of ours last day one day.
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:03 pm

My goal this is simple. Do it all again with family and friends at farm. Have some successful hunts. Guaranteed I will spend more time trying avoid having my spots picked off. They try to figure it out every year. But, they just can't get past obstacles. Or, hunting in some places that you can not see further than 20 yards.

If I can I walk into some public land that I did not get to hunt last year. It stayed flooded whole time. It is still flooded as of now.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:18 pm

My goal is not to give a mature big buck a free pass ;)
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Wed May 01, 2019 1:38 am

My goal is to make the most of my available time. Ill be working out of state most of the year and will have limited time at home to juggle home improvements, hunting, and keeping my lady happy.

I might have a big job in northern wisconsin line up this fall. Ill still be away from home but could definitely hunt on the road at least.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed May 01, 2019 3:14 am

Pick up where I left off last year on the local WMA (very few deer are killed on it each season) Take an archery doe and buck on it and make one into sausage and such

Hope that the non-boots on the ground scouting pays off again, or better this year

KISS
Real or perceived hate cannot be driven away with hate
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed May 01, 2019 5:59 am

Backstraps and sausage
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
G-Patt

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed May 01, 2019 6:03 am

My goals are simple: kill a buck and doe as early in the season as possible, so I don't miss out on fall fishing and squirrel hunting like I did last year. Just going for the meat this year, and if I get a wall-hanger, even better. I did a ton of early season scouting, and I have a lot of spots to choose from. I'm also hoping to improve my stalking and still-hunting skills.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:01 am

I’m gonna be trying some new spots during the early bow season. I’m gonna throw at least one sit on a particular water hole I’ve been waiting to hunt for the last 3 years. Conditions are never perfect and the location tips the odds in the favor of the bucks every time. They can’t get a free ride forever, so I’m gonna give that a try at least once.

I’m gonna be going on two elk hunts this fall. My wife has a September muzzle loader tag and I have a late season tag. I’m hoping to get her in range of a good bull.

I’m not really the kind of hunter that picks out one specific buck to hunt, but this year I’m going to be looking to track up a specific buck I had an encounter with in January. I won’t be passing up other nice bucks though.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed May 01, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm, uh, not sure.

I'm in the middle of a little but of a mental struggle with what I want out of my hunting experiences. Killing a mature public land buck remains my primary goal. I believe I know what it will take to succeed at this and have created the foundation of skills and understanding necessary to do it, but I'm also growing pretty convinced that the scouting and day by day effort it takes to do it doesn't really fit within my current list of priorities or available time, at least on the hard-hunted low deer density parcels I can hunt with any frequency.

I could change my priorities to achieve my goal, but I know my work and family life will bear the brunt of that. I'm not interested or willing to go there.

I'm pretty confident in the skills I continue to grow learning from all of you. I'm getting close. I saw deer on more public sits last year than ever before, including some small bucks. I was honing in on some good bucks as well. One my my biggest hurdles is that the effort to get in and hunt the same bucks as often as needed to really break through just isn't in the cards for me. I had several instances last season where I knew I was getting close and was maybe a sit or two away, but didn't have the opportunity to follow through. Following along with Dan, the THP guys, and the guys that get it done on public every year, one thing I really notice is how hunting the same properties day after day, or at least a couple of times a week really helps dial in. That is largely not practical for me without really changing life priorities.

I'm not whining at all. I'm pretty comfortable with my approach and the fact that I'm going to need a little more luck than I would if I had more time. I still love the grind. I could vow to not hunt my private pieces, but an empty freezer is a sacrifice I'm not interested in for a variety of reason. Ive been about a 50/50 public to private balance the last few years. That works for me and I've become an assassin on my private pieces for the most part. I'm proud of that, but it also leaves me a little unsatisfied at times.

I know I'll have fun, I know I'll keep trying to get my kids out as much as they are interested, and I know I want to spend as much time with my 70 year old dad in the woods while he is still very able bodied as I can. Beyond that, I think I'm going to go goalless this year and see what happens. So I guess just enjoying the ride is the goal this year. I think I've gotten to the point where I can lean on my intuition and experience a little to still expect some success with this approach.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”