Legend of Stroker Ace

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Legend of Stroker Ace

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:14 pm

A few recent threads lately have really got me thinking of my memories of a buck I named Stroker Ace. I save ya the drama and let ya know upfront I never got him. Did pass him in late November 2017 while I was in hot pursuit of this giant 12pt which subsequently is the one I missed at 7 yards and spoke of in the missing a giant thread. Another part of that hunt was exactly like the situation predator tc. Laid out in the covering multiple trails. I knew for a fact the buck was in a certain thicket when setting up there was 5 light trails leaving it basically all going to the same place. I set up to cover all of em, leaving 4 to my left front from 10-25 yards and one dead behind me about 5. I remember even saying I'm golden as long as he doesn't take this one. Sure enough he did and long story short I had a limb that wouldn't let me draw my bow so I reverse canted it and sailed one over his back ouch....

Any who, I no longer have permission to hunt the farm that housed Stroker so figured I would tell the tale. Stroker got his name from the first time I pulled the card I was sitting in truck looking and a Charlie Daniels song called Stroker Ace was on the radio. I had 100s of pics of him so I knew I was in his area.

I got permission for this property after the season had already opened, so I just set a few cams out and hunted elsewhere for the year. This is first pic I saw of him in the 2015 season. Suspect he was 3.5

Scouted the property that post season and picked out a good tree or 2. Believe I hunted that place 4 or 5 times that season and never saw him. Was still getting pics, so it quickly became apparent he was on to me. Decided to put out more cams and start getting curious! Here he was that summer on a mineral lick @ 4.5

Found out how and why he was entering the property the way he did and also found out how he was leaving in the evening. Cameras inbetween also revealed a lot of day time movement on dang near everyday except the days I hunted it. Was mind boggling trying to figure out where this deer was setting up to catch me. He always entered the property well b4 daylight sometimes a hour sometimes 4 hours. The property was 2 big rolling hills which eventually petered out into a creek. Stroker would enter property from a low spot in a fence coming off a Milo field and drop down in the valley between the hills and make his way to his bed. Which at this time I couldn't locate to save my life. But if u were anywhere on that property when he dropped down into that valley b4 Dawn it was game over!

The following post season I scouted harder and found a few clues but still could not pin this suckers bedding down. The following early season I discovered the big 12 pt and put all my effort into him. When I passed Stroker he was a mile away from his usual haunts. I some what regret the pass now because Stroker was a special buck to me and it was the only time I ever saw him while hunting. But had I not missed the 7 yard shot I would have no regrets. Here he was at 6.5 Stroker Ace the old man. Didn't move around near as much inside his area as he did in his younger days despite the fact I never even hunted it that season.

Put in a lot of work that post season determined to crack the code on this sucker. I remember saying out loud to myself I have walked ever inch of this dang place 50 times and it just don't make sense! The only place I haven't walked is that junk pile of a NW corner. Lightbulb went off ding ding ding tell em what he won Bob.

The way that property set up to get into that Northwest corner u had to really want to. The property had a series of fenced goat pastures. So I would either have to had crossed 5 or 6 fences or walk all the way to the creek then all the way back up. There was a calapsed old barn in that corner as well as it was growed up just nasty with briars and sticker bushes. Once I took a look it was pretty obvious what was going on here. The only entry point to the property was about 60 yards away and most the beds were looking right at it. Doah!!

Put a plan together on how to get this sucker on the ground. Evenings were no good due to his exit and my one only entry point. Decided I was gonna slip in b4 daylight and get close to the creek to dump my scent in so he doesn't pick me off when he comes through the valley. Then at daylight tippy toe over to his exit area and wait him out. Sounded like a good plan to me, yet it never happened. Two days b4 the season opened I got a call that the property had been sold and I needed to get all my stuff out. What a kick in the teeth! Was fun while it lasted and taught me a lot. Major thing is leave no stone unturned. A over looked spot is not a spot u think about looking it's a spot that u have probably passed by 100 times.

I know I talk more about rut hunting cruisers than anything. But that's just how the majority of my small properties set up. I believe when it comes to small acerage u have got to know what u have and what your odds are. If your bed hunting on a small farm where no bucks bed, well... It's gonna be a long season. Just like in this bucks case granted I did see him once a mile away while he was on the move. But it was a freak accident. The high odds play on this particular buck and property was u had to get in close to his honeycomb hideout. IMO on small properties u have got to know what strategy puts the odds in your favor and what are the bucks using against u. Anyhow hope u enjoyed and possibly can relate a thing or 2 in future hunts.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
thwack16
500 Club

Re: Legend of Stroker Ace

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 am

Enjoyed the story boogie. That's one heck of a pass, definitely would've been tough to do so.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:36 am

Great story. A lot to be learned from that one. Thanks for sharing. 8-)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am

Man Boogie that thing is a toad! Awesome story and awesome pass. Bucks like that can teach us soooo much!

Good stuff man, thanks for posting :clap:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 am

Cool story.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:27 am

8-)

He's a slammer. Bummer you lost access, but that's the way it goes.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:42 am

They don't get big by being dumb. Often times the ones that got away are the ones closest to the heart. I fondly remember Peter, Hoss, TreeShaker, and TheCow quite often. Well, maybe not TreeShaker... he gave me ulcers.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 am

That is a good story Boogie... not on the miss, but a great lesson on how you put the puzzle pieces together even though you didn’t get him.

It’s actually helpful for me in scouting a small property I have access to. I am fairly certain that there’s no good bucks bedding there, but fairly certain is not 100% certain.

There are three spots I haven’t hit yet, and one is a junk pile not far from the main barns. Call it the boneyard because of all the dead vehicles in it, the other is a creekbed in the middle of nowhere basically and the other is an isolated fence line kind of like a super skinny island that everyone who drives onto the property passes. Wouldn’t shock me if it was used when corn is up. So it’s time to investigate the “overlooked” just like you highlighted.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Muddy said it right....the ones that get away will be the ones we remember. They get away because they're smart...
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. Some really good info there.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:58 am

Thanks guys glad y'all enjoyed it. Should prob clarify while yes I did pass Stroker, it wasn't like he was standing infront of me eating acorns for half an hour. I seen him coming then realized who it was and a few seconds later he melted into the shadows. Had he been lingering around I believe I would have talked myself into it. He was a giant for my area, believe I've only seen 2 bucks bigger my entire life.

But that 12pt was special not like any genetics I've seen around here. Had atleast 10" bladed brows and lots of mass. Plus I had his number and knew I was gonna get him.

Small properties have there difficulties but they also offer major perks especially if they are fenced! A lot easier to figure out how a buck is entering a 40 acre patch vs 1000. In the case of the one I missed, I discovered where he crossed a dirt road and preferred to enter that property. If he entered it I knew he was bedding in a certain thicket. All I did is place a cam where he entered farm and waited for the wind I needed. If I got him on camera that morning entering I hunted it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”